How is the beer?

KrakedMask

36 minutes ago, idraconis said:

ray98, thanks for posting the menu. I could live with the selection of beers, sadly no Guinness.

I can relate about no Strongbow. They stopped carrying Strongbow and Guinness at the same time a few years back. According to a couple of beverage managers I talked to, neither one of them sold very well so it’s unlikely either will be back. Bud Light Lime also didn’t sell well, which is why they got rid of it too less than a year ago. 

18 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have seen Caribbean Wheat on tap on Horizon, Victory, Liberty and Breeze. They also had it in cans on these ships. 

Also on tap on Vista and Glory

Edited by Saint Greg

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I can relate about no Strongbow. They stopped carrying Strongbow and Guinness at the same time a few years back. According to a couple of beverage managers I talked to, neither one of them sold very well so it’s unlikely either will be back. Bud Light Lime also didn’t sell well, which is why they got rid of it too less than a year ago. 

I'm not surprised the Guinness didn't sell well.  While I love Guinness myself, most American beer drinkers don't.  They tend to go for the cheaper domentic brews.  I only have 1 other beer drinker friend that likes Guiness.  Still, you would think they could still keep a small supply of cans on board lol.

12 minutes ago, ishap said:

While I love Guinness myself, most American beer drinkers don't.  They tend to go for the cheaper domentic brews

for me it has nothing to do with money, just don't like the bitter taste

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ishap said:

I'm not surprised the Guinness didn't sell well.  While I love Guinness myself, most American beer drinkers don't.  They tend to go for the cheaper domentic brews.  I only have 1 other beer drinker friend that likes Guiness.  Still, you would think they could still keep a small supply of cans on board lol.

I drank a lot of guinness on carnival before they got rid of it. I figured they went with a cheaper option since they brought in sea cow around the same time.

22 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I also enjoy Strongbow.  I figure once they started carrying Angry Orchard there was either an exclusivity clause or not enough demand for two types of cider.

20 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I drank a lot of guinness on carnival before they got rid of it. I figured they went with a cheaper option since they brought in sea cow around the same time.

My husband likes stouts and enjoys Guinness, but not from a can.  He's not very fond of the Sea Cow milk stout either, which I guess also had an exclusivity clause and/or not enough demand for stout.

I'm a bit of a beer geek myself, and was content with what I found on Magic and Horizon, over the past year. I won't touch much on the Horizon, since there's the brewery right on board....and that ended my beer hunt for THAT cruise. They had 5 on tap, 4 regulars (West Coast IPA, Amber, Farmhouse ale & a smoked porter) and a rotating seasonal. They offered a brewery tour & growler fills, as well.

Magic's selection (July '19) was perfectly fine, as well. As folks have said, they are now canning & carrying 16oz cans of Parched Pig, on most ships. I found the IPA & Amber on the Magic, in July. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is available in all the bars....and if you're into craft beer, that's pretty much THE "OG" / old school classic. Sam Adams Boston Lager (another classic) & Rebel IPA were available. As a bit of a Hop Head, though...I was REALLY pleased to find Stone IPA, on my last 3 Carnival sailings (Sunshine, Horizon and Magic). Could be wrong...but seem to remember those may only have been available in the Red Frog Pub, on a couple of those ships? And they did run out of Stone, on the Sunshine. Plus of course, the Saltwater Sea Cow Stout, the Concrete Beach Pils & Angel City IPA.

So, while I'll always wish they'd let me bring a case of Zombie Dust or Two Hearted onboard with me.....I certainly had no complaints with what I found on board. And yes...MUCH better than I found on RCCL, last March.

• Like 1

I admit to being a beer snob. I don't drink American domestics. I'm really spoiled here in New Orleans with the variety from our local breweries, all of which are carried in local markets. I did see Abita Amber last year on the Carnival Triumph (out of the Port of New Orleans and before her makeover).

I'm really looking forward to tasting the new Carnival brews next month on the Carnival Glory.

47 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

I think that was his problem was the sweetness.  Although I don't know as he is a traditional English purist either since many of our local brews seem to be peanut butter and/or chocolate stouts.  They still don't seem sweet though.

The milk stouts are brewed with lactose, which is a milk sugar. If done well, it gives a really subtle sweetness. Not to everybody's liking, though. The peanut butter & chocolate stouts  probably don't have any sweeteners. In the case of the chocolate stout, it's either a dark / unsweetened cocoa, or a malt that's been roasted to achieve the chocolate flavor. Or...so I've been told. I'm DEFINITELY not patient enough to home brew 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mmb3124 said:

I'm a bit of a beer geek myself, and was content with what I found on Magic and Horizon, over the past year. I won't touch much on the Horizon, since there's the brewery right on board....and that ended my beer hunt for THAT cruise. They had 5 on tap, 4 regulars (West Coast IPA, Amber, Farmhouse ale & a smoked porter) and a rotating seasonal. They offered a brewery tour & growler fills, as well.

Magic's selection (July '19) was perfectly fine, as well. As folks have said, they are now canning & carrying 16oz cans of Parched Pig, on most ships. I found the IPA & Amber on the Magic, in July. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is available in all the bars....and if you're into craft beer, that's pretty much THE "OG" / old school classic. Sam Adams Boston Lager (another classic) & Rebel IPA were available. As a bit of a Hop Head, though...I was REALLY pleased to find Stone IPA, on my last 3 Carnival sailings (Sunshine, Horizon and Magic). Could be wrong...but seem to remember those may only have been available in the Red Frog Pub, on a couple of those ships? And they did run out of Stone, on the Sunshine. Plus of course, the Saltwater Sea Cow Stout, the Concrete Beach Pils & Angel City IPA.

So, while I'll always wish they'd let me bring a case of Zombie Dust or Two Hearted onboard with me.....I certainly had no complaints with what I found on board. And yes...MUCH better than I found on RCCL, last March.

I don't do IPAs at all.  I've tried them and just don't like them.  Just like you, I'm sure when I get on the Horizon I will be a regular at the brewery.  I find it funny they do growler fills there...is it more economical?

I've never had the Sea Cow Stout so I will have to try it.  I don't mind a good milk stout.  Will still miss my Guinness though.  I'm just glad Carnival is finally trying to cater to the craft beer crown and move away from the regular mainstream domestic brews.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ishap said:

I don't do IPAs at all.  I've tried them and just don't like them.  Just like you, I'm sure when I get on the Horizon I will be a regular at the brewery.  I find it funny they do growler fills there...is it more economical?

I've never had the Sea Cow Stout so I will have to try it.  I don't mind a good milk stout.  Will still miss my Guinness though.  I'm just glad Carnival is finally trying to cater to the craft beer crown and move away from the regular mainstream domestic brews.

I don't remember the math...but no, the growler fill isn't a great deal, money wise. But, freshest beer possible....to go....was awfully appealing, for this beer geek 😉 It's also a lot of beer, cracked open & unrefrigerated, to get through. Shelf life is fairly short. Having someone to share it with, certainly helps. But I also figure I've wasted money a a lot worse things, on a cruise!

5 minutes ago, mmb3124 said:

I don't remember the math...but no, the growler fill isn't a great deal, money wise. But, freshest beer possible....to go....was awfully appealing, for this beer geek 😉 It's also a lot of beer, cracked open & unrefrigerated, to get through. Shelf life is fairly short. Having someone to share it with, certainly helps. But I also figure I've wasted money a a lot worse things, on a cruise!

That's exactly what I figured in my head.  At home I don't typcially go through a growler in an evening, and since my wife doesn't drink beer...yeah seems a waste.  I think I will just go and pick up a pint from the bar.

21 hours ago, ishap said:

Saltwater Brewing make a number of good different brews. Sea Cow is okay as a milk stout. Probably not as good as Left Hand Brewing or Southern Tier, but very respectable.

If you are cruising out of Ft Lauderdale, a short trip up to their brewery in Del Ray Beach could be worthwhile.

Edited by crewsweeper

21 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Saltwater Brewing make a number of good different brews. Sea Cow is okay as a milk stout. Probably not as good as Left Hand Brewing or Southern Tier, but very respectable.

If you are cruising out of Ft Lauderdale, a short trip up to their brewery in Del Ray Beach could be worthwhile.

Cool.  I may look into that.  Thanks!

On 10/11/2019 at 4:23 PM, rivieramayalover said:

We are only beer drinkers and prefer Miller.

How much does a bucket of beers cost and how many are in a bucket? 

its 4 or 5 beers I can't remember, this does not county towards the cheers package. they are sold separately 

On 10/13/2019 at 5:21 AM, EngineCo52 said:

if you're looking for Quantity over quality. Fosters. they are the oil cans 25oz. comes out to a little over 31 (12oz) beers 

I don't think they are carrying Fosters anymore.