Outside (on side of ship) Elevators on Nieuw Amsterdam

geocruiser

I am now booked on a HAL( came back from Princess) cruise sailing on the beautiful Nieuw Amsterdam.  I booked a balcony cabin on deck 5, next to the elevator.  I have been in a cabin like this before, but it was a while ago, and I don't remember.  I would like to know how much of a view do you get from the elevator into my cabin.  I not worried about the balcony view, just the cabin.  

Thank you

45 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

I am now booked on a HAL( came back from Princess) cruise sailing on the beautiful Nieuw Amsterdam.  I booked a balcony cabin on deck 5, next to the elevator.  I have been in a cabin like this before, but it was a while ago, and I don't remember.  I would like to know how much of a view do you get from the elevator into my cabin.  I not worried about the balcony view, just the cabin.  

Thank you

To ease your mind, why not, on the first evening/night, turn on the lights in your cabin and leave curtains open.

Then, take the elevator up and down along side of your cabin/balcony, and "see what you can see".

Obviously, leaving the lights *on* and the curtains open would be the "worst case" situation.

Perhaps the first afternoon, do that while it's still light.  Chances are you won't see much or anything.

That way, at the very least, you'll know what is or is not a problem, and can relax at other times.

Also, double check at night if the sheers are closed but the regular curtains open.  Chances are that will make a huge difference.  It certainly does in most homes, to a surprising degree, unless someone is clearly silhouetted with a single strong light behind them.

GC

• Like 1

You can see the elevator from your balcony and they can see you.  I had one of those cabins on a Vista Class ship and the glass elevators extend out further than your balcony.  I would wave to the elevator passengers and they would wave back.  So your balcony is visible,  but not into your cabin.   

• Like 1

I've made it a point to check what can be seen from the glass elevators. From the elevator immediately alongside, then the entire first balcony can be seen, but not into the cabin itself. Part of the second balcony can be seen. Very little of the balcony alongside the next elevator can be seen. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for your info.  I am happy as long as no one can see inside the cabin.  The balcony does not matter.  We hardly ever go out on it.  We just like the light from it.  I will look to see if there is a better cabin.  But I like being near the elevator and mid ship.

I can not remember when, but we did have a cabin like this on before on HAL.  Maybe it was just a outside cabin?  I don't know, but it was fine.  I can't even remember which HAL ship it was.  (getting OLD, I am).  Not many cabins left, so it was better for us than a GTY.

Are you in an SS on the forward side or a V on the aft side? You can see more of the SS balcony, but in neither case can you even see the cabin door.  This is a pair of V cabins:

DSCN3908.JPG.2a892ed68d55e715a41a15a4a42db68c.JPG

and here is the SS balcony

DSCN9703.JPG.6b62cefd7ef345d6f01a4a8fb36327b7.JPG

Edited by catl331
  • Like 1

We once had the Neptune Suite on Deck 6 beside the glass elevator on the Oosterdam.  I know you're on NA, a totally different class of ship, but same idea.  We found that the elevators whizzed by so quickly that no one really got a good look at us on the balcony.  I rode the elevator up and down while DH sat on the balcony. 

Once we turned lights on in the cabin, we kept our drapes closed, as we had previously done in other cabins.  Once it's dark outside, I like curtains closed.  Yeah, I know. . .no one's out there to play peeping Tom.  Call it a quirk, okay?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

We once had the Neptune Suite on Deck 6 beside the glass elevator on the Oosterdam.  I know you're on NA, a totally different class of ship, but same idea.  We found that the elevators whizzed by so quickly that no one really got a good look at us on the balcony.  I rode the elevator up and down while DH sat on the balcony. 

Once we turned lights on in the cabin, we kept our drapes closed, as we had previously done in other cabins.  Once it's dark outside, I like curtains closed.  Yeah, I know. . .no one's out there to play peeping Tom.  Call it a quirk, okay?

Unless someone has a drone!