Cruise Critic Community
Sea Dog

Harmony Delayed Boarding October 13th

So I just got this email from Royal:

Dear Guest,

We would like to provide you with important information for your upcoming Harmony of the Seas cruise departing on October 13th, 2019. The U.S. Coast Guard will be conducting a mandatory routine inspection onboard before your boarding can begin. As a result, check-in for your cruise will take place between 12:00 PM – 3:00 PM.

If you haven't already done so, please complete your online check-in, as this is the best way to expedite boarding. To check-in online, please go to http://www.royalcaribbean.com/onlinecheckin and print your SetSail Pass. You can do this up to 72-hours prior to your sailing. As seating in the terminal is very limited, we kindly ask guests to arrive to the cruise terminal after 12:00 PM.

We thank you for your time and cooperation and look forward to welcoming you onboard Harmony of the Seas.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

What time can I realistically board? Are they strict on this window of time?

Just got our email too - blast! I’d even arranged an early shuttle ride. 

Wendy

I just got it also.  Does check-in from noon to 3:00 mean just check-in with boarding later or does it mean boarding then?  I’m trying to figure out whether to eat lunch in Cocoa or wait.

I will deal with whatever. I know these inspections have to happen. I'm curious just to how long they take and is it really mean no boarding till after 12pm. I'm not crazy about having my "Key" lunch be late in the afternoon. Oh well.

I agree, definitely not the end of the world.  But I am a planner and not knowing drives me crazy.  But my DH reminds me you cannot be driven where you already are.  After 45 years I guess he knows.

Not saying this will be the same for you but we have received this same email at least 4 or 5 different times.  Each time we went to the terminal as we planned (usually around 10:00) and never...not once ....was our boarding delayed.

On the last cruise I was berated by a guy on our FB board for not “following the rules”.  When we got onboard around 11:15 I sent him a picture with a drink in hand. 😁😁

Again....not saying this will be your experience but it has been ours.

GTO-Girl, I hope you are right.

But if not, and there really is delayed boarding, does anyone have any recommendations/experience for what time to arrive that is a balance between waiting in line and being on board in the earlier part of that grouping?

For reference, when we don't get this message, we usually arrive at the cruise terminal by 10:20 or so.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, pawmtweez said:

GTO-Girl, I hope you are right.

But if not, and there really is delayed boarding, does anyone have any recommendations/experience for what time to arrive that is a balance between waiting in line and being on board in the earlier part of that grouping?

For reference, when we don't get this message, we usually arrive at the cruise terminal by 10:20 or so.

They are going to go ahead and let you into the terminal and check you in.  Worst case scenario you “might” have to wait inside the terminal for a little while before you actually board the ship.

Again...I cannot say this will be your experience, but in 40 cruises we have received this same email multiple times and it has not effected us once.

I hope some of you will report back here on Sunday just to let us know of your experience....

Edited by GTO-Girl

10 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

Again...I cannot say this will be your experience, but in 40 cruises we have received this same email multiple times and it has not effected us once.

Thank for your assessment. I hope this will be the case for us. I mainly started this thread to hear other people’s experience with the delayed boarding.

If the inspection is done they will let you board, if not they have given you notice and that takes away your ability to complain 😀

5 hours ago, ATG said:

I just got it also.  Does check-in from noon to 3:00 mean just check-in with boarding later or does it mean boarding then?  I’m trying to figure out whether to eat lunch in Cocoa or wait.

I take it to mean that boarding is planned to be shortly after noon.

Last year,  our boarding on Oasis at Port Canaveral was delayed by Coast Guard inspection.  Except we did not receive any advance notification.  Normally, we;d get to the terminal around 10:30 but due to a very late night before at a wedding, we arrived around 11:30 to find a very long line of thousands  people snaking thru the parking garage.  I think the line began to move shortly after 12:30 but as we were on the back third of the line, we didn't make it on board until almost 2:00.

Had I known in advance, I would have slept in more.😒

If there is a line, go left of the terminal and there are several places to get a pre-boarding drink.

Arrived at port about 10:30.  Check in was quick and easy.  We boarded and were sitting in the Suite Lounge on 17 at 11:00.  So much for delayed boarding.

On 10/7/2019 at 5:33 PM, ATG said:

But I am a planner and not knowing drives me crazy.  But my DH reminds me you cannot be driven where you already are.

I am definitely going to steal that phrase for my DW. 😁

"As seating in the terminal is very limited, we kindly ask guests to arrive to the cruise terminal after 12:00 PM."

If I got that message the first thing I would think is "Geez, I better get there before 12 so I can get a seat"! 

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

Looks like she left on time, or just a little late 

20191013_182824.jpg

Looks like the double size lifeboat installation went faster than expected!! 😍😛

32 minutes ago, Crism said:

Looks like the double size lifeboat installation went faster than expected!! 😍😛

Hey, she's 15+ miles away. 😱

Here's a shot from a few weeks ago, only 5 miles away.

20190905_155131.thumb.jpg.279d8ae97d1e3a6d49292feb10d885b2.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa

I wanted to follow up on this for any future cruisers.  Boarding was delayed "slightly" (at least compared to what I had read on here for the few previous weeks).  We were still eating lunch on board just before noon.😁