Cruise Critic Community
patrickmoran

Wellington Shuttle?

We will be on a Princess cruise in March. Does Princess run a shuttle from the quay into downtown Wellington? Does the port or city? Thanks

I'm not sure who runs it, I think it's the city. Due to earthquake damage the cruise wharf entrance has been moved and you cannot walk off the wharf anymore. The shuttles are free and stop at two places: in Lambton Quay close to the Beehive, and in Wakefield St near the iSite information centre and close to the Te Papa museum.

Can you get on the shuttle at LQ and ride it to Te Papa?  We were planning to take it to LQ from the ship, do the cable car and then ride the shuttle to Te Papa and visit there.  

Posted (edited)

The cable car is almost halfway between the two stops so if you're just going straight up and down on the cable car you might as well just walk to Te Papa. If you cut straight down to the waterfront, down Grey St and across to Queens Wharf, it's a lovely walk and all flat walking.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

13 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The cable car is almost halfway between the two stops so if you're just going straight up and down on the cable car you might as well just walk to Te Papa. If you cut straight down to the waterfront, down Grey St and across to Queens Wharf, it's a lovely walk and all flat walking.

We are hoping, if the weather cooperates, to walk down from the top of the cable car through the Botanical Gardens so where that exits it looks farther than from the base of the car?  Otherwise, yes, it'd probably be better to just walk to Te Papa.  Thanks!

In that case you could probably then take the shuttle to the next stop.

I found the map on the Welly Cable Car sight helpful.  It shows where the cruise shuttle stops, and where the cable car is, plus Parliament Buildings, iSITE visitor information center, etc. I'm assuming the cruise shuttle stop is accurate - on Brandon St. off Lambton Quay, which is the name of a street 

8 hours ago, roothy123 said:

I found the map on the Welly Cable Car sight helpful.  It shows where the cruise shuttle stops, and where the cable car is, plus Parliament Buildings, iSITE visitor information center, etc. I'm assuming the cruise shuttle stop is accurate - on Brandon St. off Lambton Quay, which is the name of a street 

No, when we stopped in Wellington earlier this year the first shuttle bus stop was no longer in Brandon St, it was on Lambton Quay outside the beautiful old wooden building now used by Victoria University and close to the Beehive, a good ten minute walk to the cable car.