Cruise Critic Community
Tidalmist

Discounts

I know that I may have asked this question a few months back, but as we are getting closed to our first Crystal sailing, here it is again. We sail for the first time on the Symphony in November and also on the same ship, Singapore to Dubai in April. Since I have an existing booking, can I get any discounts while on board in November for the already booked cruise in April? Also, if yes, how do I go about doing this?

Yes - you can get the Book on Board Discount applied to the future cruise you have already booked - just ask your TA to ensure it is applied and get them to send a revised booking confirmation

Some will say see the On Board Consultant when onboard - I can’t actually see the point of doing that was as it’s something your TA can organise for you 

I’ve heard it said it is done automatically by Crystal - I’m not sure I’d trust it to them to do without checking on it 

Your TA should know this but they can have it applied once you are on the sailing.  

The on board booking discount is about a 2.5% savings off the cruise fare.  It is equivalent to the Crystal Society savings which is about another 2.5%.  By the way for your April cruise the Crystal Society savings will automatically be applied to your April cruise.  If you have made final payment for the April cruise by the time these credits are applied you will get the difference as a credit on the credit card you used to pay for the cruise.

There used to be an automatic feature which Terry alluded to which would have done this for you but believe that went away when the new reservation system was implemented a couple of years ago.

While you are on board the ship should you wish to book any additional cruises beyond the one you have planned for April you could see the on board booking consultant.  They have office hours each day of the cruise except for the first day and their desk is located on Deck 5 right near shore excursions.  Office hours will be noted in Reflections.  

Also right after your cruise ends you will receive an e-mail from Crystal noting that for the next two weeks you can make a booking from home and it will count as if you did an on board booking.

Finally, while you are on board you can do an open booking.  For I believe $100.00 per person an open booking gives you six months from the time you leave the ship to firm up a booking and you will receive an no board booking discount.  If you haven't booked another cruise while on the April cruise and are unsure of plans the open booking gives you another six months to sort this out.  You can fill out a form and give it to someone at the Reception Desk or you can sit with the on board booking consultant.

Right now they are not doing this but on occasion there has been a promotion when booking on board which provided extra on board credit for the cruise being booked.  

Keith

I wish Crystal would let the open booking period be longer. We do open bookings with Cunard too and they give you four years.

Julie, I suspect it is simply to encourage people to book.  With  that said they are pretty flexible  and if you will ask in the past you  usually can get them to extend the open booking beyond six months if you have not made a decision by then.

Keith

42 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Julie, I suspect it is simply to encourage people to book.  With  that said they are pretty flexible  and if you will ask in the past you  usually can get them to extend the open booking beyond six months if you have not made a decision by then.

Keith

Thanks I should ask about that next time. I usually forget when I made it until I see the automatic refund pop up on my credit card.

The Crystal consultant said it was automatic in June this year.  But as Keith stated it apparently it is not and my TA called Crystal to get the extra 2.5%..

11 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

There used to be an automatic feature which Terry alluded to which would have done this for you but believe that went away when the new reservation system was implemented a couple of years ago.

I was in this situation in 2019.  I made two additional bookings prior to a previously booked Crystal b2b in April/May of this year.  In answer to my question, my TA told me that the onboard discount would be applied automatically by Crystal to my two new bookings, and that if for any reason it did not happen she would be able to get it added on after the fact.  I did not talk to anyone about it while on my cruise, and 2 weeks after I got home I received updated booking confirmations from my TA with the discount applied.

It is certainly worth asking your TA about it before you sail, but for me it did work out without any other intervention.  If the automatic feature went away, it looks like it is back now.  (I suppose it might be that my TA had to ask Crystal to do it, but if so she did not tell me that happened.)

I have booked on board in the past, and for me booking before I cruised was much easier.  I was able to take my time making my plans at home without the distraction of enjoying the cruise.  I also like to purchase trip insurance right away on the deposit in order to preserve the waiver of pre-existing conditions, and that was easier to deal with while at home.

Karen

23 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Your TA should know this but they can have it applied once you are on the sailing.  

The on board booking discount is about a 2.5% savings off the cruise fare.  It is equivalent to the Crystal Society savings which is about another 2.5%.  By the way for your April cruise the Crystal Society savings will automatically be applied to your April cruise.  If you have made final payment for the April cruise by the time these credits are applied you will get the difference as a credit on the credit card you used to pay for the cruise.

While you are on board the ship should you wish to book any additional cruises beyond the one you have planned for April you could see the on board booking consultant.  They have office hours each day of the cruise except for the first day and their desk is located on Deck 5 right near shore excursions.  Office hours will be noted in Reflections.  

Also right after your cruise ends you will receive an e-mail from Crystal noting that for the next two weeks you can make a booking from home and it will count as if you did an on board booking.

Finally, while you are on board you can do an open booking.  For I believe $100.00 per person an open booking gives you six months from the time you leave the ship to firm up a booking and you will receive an no board booking discount.  If you haven't booked another cruise while on the April cruise and are unsure of plans the open booking gives you another six months to sort this out.  You can fill out a form and give it to someone at the Reception Desk or you can sit with the on board booking consultant.

Right now they are not doing this but on occasion there has been a promotion when booking on board which provided extra on board credit for the cruise being booked.  

Keith

Thanks so much for the information. Very much appreciated. Now I will contact my ta.

I sailed in June, and had an additional future booking before that.  I emailed my TA to insure I received the on board booking discount.  The discount had already been automatically applied by Crystal.

As for the open booking...the standard is six months to book.   But the agent told me that all one has to do is notify Crystal that you need "another few months" to decide, and the open booking will be extended.  Stands to reason that Crystal would not mind keeping your money interest free while you decide.

I recall that Princess kept the open booking for a number of years, and Celebrity forever...but that might have changed.