Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
travelbug615

What to expect on sailing that ends one week before ship heads into drydock?

We just booked 14 night Caribbean sailing on the Eurodam in November 2020 that ends one week before the ship goes into drydock.  Is this a mistake? We are booking a family cruise with four cabins, so I want to make sure I am not making plans that will lead to  disappointment  for the family newbies to HAL.    Only one of the three cabins has sailed HAL before,  the rest are Princess loyalists.

Not in my experience is it a mistake. I have taken two lengthy cruises ending in the ship going into drydock, and wasn't impacted to any extent on either one. 

There were workers on board, but did most of their work out of passenger areas. We could tell they were workers by the way they cleaned up after themselves at lunch, and wore steel toed shoes. 
On one cruise our last day was at HMC. We returned to the ship to find some signs had been removed (one lounge sign now sits in my house 😄), shops were packing up their stock. By evening, after second sitting dinner, we left the dining room to find the elevators padded to protect them from equipment. It was clear by then where the ship was heading. 
But one late afternoon and evening on a ship with things less than elegant was no big deal, IMO. 

I don't remember even that much of a disturbance on the second (later) pre-drydock cruise.

We did a sailing one cruise before the ship was to go into dry dock.

Workers were already on the ship.  Chairs were removed from the outside deck where new cabins were going in.  Some carpeting was torn up.  Other than that, no impact on our cruise.

19 hours ago, Stratheden said:

I think it depends on what is happening in dry dock.  

I think that is a valid point.  But I don't know how to find out what is scheduled in dry dock.