Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
JustinPlusLauren

All About my Flam Railway Excursion in Flam, Norway

Recommended Posts

Our cruise visited Flam as our final port in Norway and it was amazing. Not only was the fjord cruise to and from Flam phenomenal, but the Flam Railway excursion was spectacular! It's called "one of the most beautiful train rides in the world" and I believe it. If you go to Flam, especially if it's your first time there, definitely consider taking the railway. Has anyone else been?

 

Here are a few photos from my experience:

 

P1410875-XL.jpg

 

P1420093-XL.jpg

 

P1420019-XL.jpg

 

P1420085-XL.jpg

 

I wrote all about the experience here with tons more photos!!  >>  https://justinpluslauren.com/flam-railway-norway/

 

Thanks for looking and reading! 🙂

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing. Got an email from HAL last week that our stop in Flam was cancelled and we're going to Skjolden instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ski ww said:

Thanks for sharing. Got an email from HAL last week that our stop in Flam was cancelled and we're going to Skjolden instead.

 

Oh no, that's too bad! I haven't ever been to Skjolden, I hope you have a great time there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for posting the photos. I agree that the Flamsbana is a fabulous excursion. We booked it in advance through the cruise line (Cunard). We were glad we did. The Queen Elizabeth was at the dock and there were two smaller ships which had to tender their passengers ashore. There was also a large tour group that had been travelling by rail. Some people who had not booked in advance were unable to get tickets at the railway station.

 

There was a small but interesting railway museum in the town, which was a bonus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 6:02 AM, ski ww said:

Thanks for sharing. Got an email from HAL last week that our stop in Flam was cancelled and we're going to Skjolden instead.

 

We're really sorry to hear this . We are also scheduled for Flam on the Zuiderdam and a good part of the reason that we booked our cruise was to go there .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

Some people who had not booked in advance were unable to get tickets at the railway station

Allways prebook you train tickets - trains does always sell out on cruise days.

Book either direct From Flåmsbanen (6 months in advance) or at vy.no - (90 days In advance ) - 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Crystal Symphony also cancelled it's stop in Flam in June 2020 and they also cancelled Geiranger.

 

Replacement ports are Molde and Olden. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oakridger said:

Crystal Symphony also cancelled

Very sad that Cruise Lines only now recognizes the changed emission requirements and did publish itineraries and ports it is not possible to visit. Impossible to substitute Flåm.

Olden is an acceptable substitute for Geiranger - Loen Skylift and Briksdal glaciers as well as a long fjord sailing .

Molde is More questionable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another question on FLAM.

Our ship won't arrive to FLAM until June 16 from 7AM to 5PM (Princess)

Princess excursion is 7:30 thru 9:30 is available as of now.

Flam railway fully BOOKED for 9:45 - 10:42 

The available is 7:30 - 8:12 or 14:50 to 15:45.

The 7:30 departure is very early but the 14:50 is late and close to the ship departure.  

How far is the railway station to the ship, should we chance with 7:30?.  As an Elite with Princess would help to get off the ship early to get to the train on time?.

Any advice is very helpful and appreciated.

ChattTenn

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Princess is docked in Flåm - it’s a 5 minutes walk from pier to railway station

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

flam map.jpg

 

 

see all the people in lower left? waiting for the train....

flam cruise ship.JPG

Edited by Capt_BJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

flam map.jpg

 

 

see all the people in lower left? waiting for the train....

flam cruise ship.JPG

Thanks Capt_BJ for the pictures.  It seems very close to the ship.  In your opinion, is it a must or a tour to fjord to see a beautiful sight?.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChattTenn said:

In your opinion, is it a must or a tour to fjord to see a beautiful sight?.

There will be time for both the train as well as a boat trip to Gudvangen and then the shuttle bus from Gudvangen back to Flåm - Undredal is also worth a visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hallasm said:

There will be time for both the train as well as a boat trip to Gudvangen and then the shuttle bus from Gudvangen back to Flåm - Undredal is also worth a visit.

Thank you.  We will look into the  options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you might want to look at 'Norway in a Nutshell' which is a tour that can bundle this for you but note doing the full loop of train, ferry to G and bus is a full day. A dummy booking showed a 9:30 departure and 4:30 pm return!

 

https://www.fjordtours.com/tour-booking/

 

is the train a must do?  depends on where else you are sailing to fjord wise and are there any particular train buffs I suppose. As trains go this is considered a top 10 ride by many. As fjords go ... after a while they all look alike!

 

********

we used Nutshell to book our trip from Bergen to Oslo via G and Flam (ferry) after a Viking Midnight Sun cruise.  We included and overnight in Flam. Despite PEAK season, Nutshell got us on everything and a room . . . 

Edited by Capt_BJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2019 at 2:25 PM, hallasm said:

 a boat trip to Gudvangen and then the shuttle bus from Gudvangen back to Flåm -

How can we get this tour?.  Do you know any information about it.  If there is enough time, we might consider to do the train and this tour too.

Thank You.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

you might want to look at 'Norway in a Nutshell' which is a tour that can bundle this for you but note doing the full loop of train, ferry to G and bus is a full day. A dummy booking showed a 9:30 departure and 4:30 pm return!

 

https://www.fjordtours.com/tour-booking/

 

is the train a must do?  depends on where else you are sailing to fjord wise and are there any particular train buffs I suppose. As trains go this is considered a top 10 ride by many. As fjords go ... after a while they all look alike!

 

********

we used Nutshell to book our trip from Bergen to Oslo via G and Flam (ferry) after a Viking Midnight Sun cruise.  We included and overnight in Flam. Despite PEAK season, Nutshell got us on everything and a room . . . 

Thank you.  We will look into this also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...