Best compliment you got for cruising solo

LandlockedCruiser01

21 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Andrew,:classic_smile: that is something that has happened to me over the years as well. After many, many cruises with Celebrity, I would sail with the same folks (not planned).

I would also see many crew and staff repeatedly.....I was sailing with them multiple times over the

years and then other guests would ask me that same thing......do you know everyone?

We're a friendly lot, us solo pax 🙂

• Like 1

Between my two solo cruises, I've been fortunate to not have noticed any negativity. Lots of folks have complimented my choice to live my life on my terms. In one case (that kinda makes me teary) a family of four was seated next to me in the MDR. The youngest, a girl, asked if I was "all by myself". I responded yes ma'am. She turned to her mom and her mom said "that is something to be proud of". I am.

I am single, never married and don't have children. My sister and her family are very busy. My dad has tried but can't pull the trigger on retirement. Most of my friends have kids and/or husbands. I always let them know of my plans and would love to have them join but they haven't. I have reached a point in life where I'm done waiting. I'm taking the bulls by the horns and doing the things I want and enjoy!

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

Between my two solo cruises, I've been fortunate to not have noticed any negativity. Lots of folks have complimented my choice to live my life on my terms. In one case (that kinda makes me teary) a family of four was seated next to me in the MDR. The youngest, a girl, asked if I was "all by myself". I responded yes ma'am. She turned to her mom and her mom said "that is something to be proud of". I am.

I am single, never married and don't have children. My sister and her family are very busy. My dad has tried but can't pull the trigger on retirement. Most of my friends have kids and/or husbands. I always let them know of my plans and would love to have them join but they haven't. I have reached a point in life where I'm done waiting. I'm taking the bulls by the horns and doing the things I want and enjoy!

You and your philosophy sound just like me!  And I live in the Maryland/DC area.

• Thanks 1

I’ve been traveling solo since the mid ‘90s, as l have always looked much younger than I am, I’ve regularly gotten the “wow” reaction. The funniest was in NYC when the restaurant I went to for lunch was usually a family place. The waiter kept checking on me and having a chat when he wasn’t busy.  I’m Irish and just hearing my accent tends to prompt conversations with random strangers when I travel to The America’s. 

On the cruises I’ve done so far it’s been on NCL and the other solos are usually friendly so I’ve found myself hanging out with some of them or finding at least one other of them on my excursions.

• 2 weeks later...

Having been at my job well over 35 years I have a ton of vacation which my DH cannot match due to a more recent job change. So I cruise solo. ( just booked my 5th.) When people now ask If I’m going alone (with the shocked look) I say “no, with 1200 (Or whatever the ships capacity is) others”. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Having been at my job well over 35 years I have a ton of vacation which my DH cannot match due to a more recent job change. So I cruise solo. ( just booked my 5th.) When people now ask If I’m going alone (with the shocked look) I say “no, with 1200 (Or whatever the ships capacity is) others”. 

I love that and will use it the next time I get the "you're going alone" look!!

I am female and have mostly cruised solo and gotten plenty of the "you're so brave" comments, to which I always reply that my male cousin moved halfway around the world for his job for years and no one ever told him that he was brave- why would my going on vacation by myself be brave?  It usually stops the conversation in its tracks and occasionally makes people think.

I also have used the "no, with a thousand or so of my closest friends" reply to the "all by yourself?" question.

But I do find it interesting that when I cruised with my mom, we both got a ton of questions about where my dad was, had he passed away, etc.? Lots of surprised faces when I replied "No, he wasn't invited." I think it is just human nature for people to ask questions that really are none of their business.

But back to the point of the thread- my favorite compliment about cruising solo was from another solo woman cruiser who was at my dinner table each night, and we would usually go to hear the band play at BB Kings Blues club every night and dance. She said that she loved how I didn't mind that she joined me and that I was making her feel young again. I hope that when I'm still cruising solo in another 30-40 years that I'll find some solo cruisers who make me feel the same way!

• Like 5

On 10/9/2019 at 11:16 AM, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Obviously not backhanded ones, like "I could never do that"---that's destructive criticism---but sincere ones. 

I don't think that's destructive or criticism, I think it's a sincere compliment......but, of course, how it's delivered makes a difference.  I think it's an admission of envy or regret when meeting someone who has the skills/talent/bravery to do something that you can't do but would like to do.   If I were to say "I could never host a dinner party for 20 people," it wouldn't be a destructive criticism of the host, but regret that I can't cook, or don't have the space, or don't have 20 friends.

As for compliments, it was decades ago when I was in a lounge area listening to the music, and a woman came up to me and said "You're cruising alone, aren't you?  I wish I was!". 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

As for compliments, it was decades ago when I was in a lounge area listening to the music, and a woman came up to me and said "You're cruising alone, aren't you?  I wish I was!". 

I'm very pro-solo cruising, obviously, but this sounds highly unusual.  Was that lady traveling with someone unpleasant, like a difficult relative or a bossy friend?

On 10/11/2019 at 2:26 PM, rkacruiser said:

Not a compliment, but a singular experience that I have had.

New Year's Eve on the Zaandam in the Mainshow Room, the balloons had dropped, the music was great, and guests were dancing.  The band played Gloria Gaynor's I'll Survive, my favorite song of that era.  I can't help dancing when that song is played!  And, I did.  Two formally attired solo gentlemen seated near where I was dancing gave me the oddest looks that I have ever noticed in such a situation.  I ignored them and joined the other couples and some other singles who were dancing as well.

Good for you🤗👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2019 at 8:02 PM, HowardK said:

Someone's grandfather said to me "Your wife is really nice"- it was someone I met on the ship. Needless to say no one really knew I was on the ship solo nor cared. Needless to say I am looking forward to my next solo cruise in May as well.

Bumping a thread, kind of, but oh well.

How did you and your lady friend get mistaken for a couple?  Did that grandfather see you two dancing together or something?