Oasis 5 (Wonder of the seas) to Asia

Hop77

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Green space looks like a big put put

The rendering is obviously missing a lot of detail. I see three basketball nets on the port side but it looks like it's set up for shooting hoops, no court. The starboard side does look like mini golf.

WO.png

12 hours ago, Ethanol95 said:

But then that German website said it's year round in Shanghai, China, so I really don't know. Hope it will come to Singapore though

I also hope it will but Singapore is too hot for such a ship. It is hard to stay on the open promenade deck at 34degree. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Hop77 said:

I also hope it will but Singapore is too hot for such a ship. It is hard to stay on the open promenade deck at 34degree. 

It's not much different from the weather in Florida, both tropical, and they've sailed the previous 4 oasis class ships from there. I don't think weather is the deciding factor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

So, will that be in the fall, you think?

All the info now says spring '21 - not sure RCI can trust those welders in France enough to commit to release of itinerary with the rest of them starting next month.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Very excited to wake up to this announcement! And with Delta Air Line’s nonstop service from Atlanta (my hometown airport) to Shanghai, it makes sailing aboard Wonder of the Seas very easy! 

26 minutes ago, Tapi said:

it makes sailing aboard Wonder of the Seas very easy! 

Easy perhaps, but between the expensive 16 hour flight and the "culturally enriching" sailings which Wonder will host, not sure there'll be many takers from the US, when you have 4 O class choices from Florida.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Very excited to wake up to this announcement! And with Delta Air Line’s nonstop service from Atlanta (my hometown airport) to Shanghai, it makes sailing aboard Wonder of the Seas very easy! 

As one who has made those kinds of flights from Atlanta as well...the word EASY doesn't apply.

Unless someone is totally immune to the effects of being on a flight for 18+ hours.

Been there, done that multiple times. Flown over 2 Million Miles.

Convenient yes...EASY no.

On 10/10/2019 at 7:34 PM, Biker19 said:

Not sure who the guys in this pics are:

Image may contain: 3 people

The Guy on the left is Dr. Zinan Liu. He is the Chairman for Royal Caribbean Asia. The center is Michael Bayley. The Right I'm not too sure

Edited by WaveSplasher

1 minute ago, WaveSplasher said:

The center is Michael Bayley.

Not sure why I didn't recognize him - I uploaded his pic when checking in for a sailing earlier this year and the check in person at the pier was going to let me go on with that pic.😱

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Been there, done that multiple times. Flown over 2 Million Miles.

Convenient yes...EASY no.

For me, convenience translates into easy, specially when traveling as a family with small children in tow. And unless a nonstop doesn’t exist, we always plan our trips so that we can get there in one flight. Makes life, well, EASY.

We’ve tested that theory before and it indeed makes traveling much easier. Granted, the longest flight we’ve taken as a family was 10 hours to Rome to sail the Mediterranean, but everybody did so well on that trip that I’m confident that they‘ll do well on this one as well. 

Like you, I fly a lot (on a weekly basis). I do agree that long flights can be tedious, but in my humble opinion, that’s not a reason to discard the chance to sail in a different region of the world, specially on a brand new ship like Wonder of the Seas. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tapi said:

For me, convenience translates into easy, specially when traveling as a family with small children in tow. And unless a nonstop doesn’t exist, we always plan our trips so that we can get there in one flight. Makes life, well, EASY.

Like you, I fly a lot (on a weekly basis). I do agree that long flights can be tedious, but in my humble opinion, that’s not a reason to discard the chance to sail in a different region of the world, specially on a brand new ship like Wonder of the Seas. 

Agree with you philosophically...but in the real world...a large percentage of people simply "cannot handle" flights of 15+ hours just to get to a destination.

There are medical, practical, and psychological reasons why it doesn't work for them. It also adds 2-4 round trip days to their trip, which some folks won't sacrifice.

Please note that we just had a group of 6 do a Dec 2018 vacation to Sydney, Australia...followed by a 10-day cruise on Ovation of the Seas to New Zealand. A spectacular trip. The 19 hours on flights challenged everyone, even the experienced travelers. When asked...4 of the 6 said they were "very glad" they made this 2 week+ vacation experience, but felt they "probably couldn't ever do it again". I could, but it seems to be the exception to the general traveling public.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

in the real world...a large percentage of people simply "cannot handle" flights of 15+ hours just to get to a destination.

I could, but it seems to be the exception to the general traveling public.

And I agree with you in this point as well. Not everybody can (or even wants to) take a flight that long. But the point that I’m trying to make is that for those who can and want to endure it (like us), the announcement made is welcome news. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Easy perhaps, but between the expensive 16 hour flight and the "culturally enriching" sailings which Wonder will host, not sure there'll be many takers from the US, when you have 4 O class choices from Florida.

Sailing on Wonder will definitely not be for the vast majority of American cruisers who, by choice or for personal reasons, cruise from nearby US ports of embarkation. For them, they already have plenty of choices.

But for those Americans who do want the “culturally enriching experience”, they’ll now have a new option. I agree with you though that there probably won’t be “many takers from the US”, but I do believe that Royal isn’t sending Wonder to Asia with Americans in mind.