Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Hop77

Oasis 5 (Wonder of the seas) to Asia

Recommended Posts

I believe Wonder is being built in France, where Harmony and Symphony were built.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I believe Wonder is being built in France, where Harmony and Symphony were built.

 

You believe correctly. Wonder is being built at the Chantiers de l'Atlantique yard at Saint-Nazaire.

Edited by garnetpalmetto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, compman9 said:

Not seen any info on this, but I received the Captain's Club newsletter today that confirmed it was going to be China based

 

Can I ask where t is being built, because I only did one leg on the Spectrum, and wished I had the time to do the full run from Europe to China

Did it specify it was only going to be based in China year round?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This ship will not look like the previous Oasis class ships, same size, but different installations on deck, and it is focused on what the chinese like, it is supposed to be stationed in China all year round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, compman9 said:

Not seen any info on this, but I received the Captain's Club newsletter today that confirmed it was going to be China based

 

Can I ask where t is being built, because I only did one leg on the Spectrum, and wished I had the time to do the full run from Europe to China

Hoping she will go on sale in China phase1

 

 

E4F0D951-DD47-485A-8768-CF7BF62166C6.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, little britain said:

Hoping she will go on sale in China phase1

Doubtful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sbtagent said:

This ship will not look like the previous Oasis class ships, same size, but different installations on deck, and it is focused on what the chinese like, it is supposed to be stationed in China all year round.

Does this mean more gambling, charges for other things normally included like on the Spectrum?  Plenty of short cruises, no tender ports?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In conjunction with Royal's collection of Perfect Day islands, I have a hunch they plan to develop something in one of the smaller islands in Phillippines, like a private beach club or something of asian tastes. But that won't probably exist till 2023+. Longer sea days to spend on the ship gambling and stops at pristine white sand beaches, which the Chinese are actually attracted to too! (although not as much as western culture)

Edited by Ethanol95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2019 at 5:36 PM, Chiliburn said:

Wonder is coming to Sydney in the northern winter 

Not a chance.

 

Its bot the length of an O class that would keep it out of the OPT in Sydney.  It's the width.  It would block half of the ferry channels.  

Like was said above - maybe Brisbane...in future years.

R
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ethanol95 said:

In conjunction with Royal's collection of Perfect Day islands, I have a hunch they plan to develop something in one of the smaller islands in Phillippines, like a private beach club or something of asian tastes. 

Interesting idea, there are plenty of islands currently not being used here.  Sandy white beaches would be at a premium, supposedly Quantum was denied Boracay because of pollution problems.  Philippines said Quantum was too big, currently Celebrity is scheduled for a stop with a less than 3,000 passenger ship.  Might have to find a place in the central islands, would probably want to avoid Mindanao.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure about the Perfect Day in Philippines. It would take too long from Shanghai. It would be more practical from Hong Kong or Singapore but I’m not sure if they are Oasis class capable. Also in June, Royal Caribbean released a statement wherein they said they would develop their own destination in Kumamoto, Japan so that would be more likely for a Perfect Day or Royal Beach Club as they would be able to do the routine 4 night and 5 night cruises from Shanghai.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BaikG said:

I’m not sure about the Perfect Day in Philippines. It would take too long from Shanghai. It would be more practical from Hong Kong or Singapore but I’m not sure if they are Oasis class capable. Also in June, Royal Caribbean released a statement wherein they said they would develop their own destination in Kumamoto, Japan so that would be more likely for a Perfect Day or Royal Beach Club as they would be able to do the routine 4 night and 5 night cruises from Shanghai.

Phillippines is actually notably closer to Shanghai than Singapore. Would work well witha year round deployment where it's not too cold in winter. Also, even though HK is relatively near, that's not going to happen if political unrest continues. Developing a perfect day in Japan might not work out weatherwise (it's too far north) unless it's somewhere like Okinawa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

Phillippines is actually notably closer to Shanghai than Singapore. Would work well witha year round deployment where it's not too cold in winter. Also, even though HK is relatively near, that's not going to happen if political unrest continues. Developing a perfect day in Japan might not work out weatherwise (it's too far north) unless it's somewhere like Okinawa.

I meant that the Philippines might be a more likely destination if the ship was homeported in either Singapore or HK, but not Shanghai. Also, both Quantum and Spectrum from Shanghai were exclusively going to Japan (or Korea before the political disputes) year round and RC has already claimed a property in Kumamoto so it is certain they will develop something there. It might not be a beach property, but something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BaikG said:

I meant that the Philippines might be a more likely destination if the ship was homeported in either Singapore or HK, but not Shanghai. Also, both Quantum and Spectrum from Shanghai were exclusively going to Japan (or Korea before the political disputes) year round and RC has already claimed a property in Kumamoto so it is certain they will develop something there. It might not be a beach property, but something.

That's interesting, wonder what they can come up with for Kumamoto. Well, with Royal's streak of announcing new things, maybe it won't be that long before we hear about their plans for a Perfect Day in Asia. Would be nice to have one in Vietnam or Phillippines tbh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

to me, this Oasis ship, Wonder of the seas, looks different, the aft of the ship where the others have Aqua theatre, and the top of the ship looks like a new design.

wonder-of-the-seas-name-reveal-asset.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...