Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
wesport

One of Two persons cancelling a cruise in the same cabin

I am booked on a 7 day cruise with my partner for a future cruise.  If for some reason he is not well enough to cruise, what is the procedure if I go without cancelling. Would he cancel and apply those monies to a single supplement for myself, or would he just not show up for the cruise?  I will still be going as we have friends on board.  Never had this situation, but it may happen in November. Didn't get insurance since it was so inexpensive. Just curious if anyone has dealt with this. 

Does he have insurance?  I would first refer to that policy.    At this late of date you likely will not be able to switch to single supplement but you could invite a friend in his place 

11 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

No insurance as it was so inexpensive. If he cant go, I will go myself. 

Does he have insurance?  I would first refer to that policy.    At this late of date you likely will not be able to switch to single supplement but you could invite a friend in his place 

Does the credit card you used to pay have insurance?  My chase card does. 

anyway, after final payment day it is unlikely to receive a change in fare.  You may want to notify the cruise line once you know so you may be forgiven the second person’s gratuities. 

You will get the port charges credited back. You need to call them and let them know.

1 hour ago, wesport said:

I am booked on a 7 day cruise with my partner for a future cruise.  If for some reason he is not well enough to cruise, what is the procedure if I go without cancelling.

If you booked on your own I would call HAL and ask what procedure would be, if you used a TA then I would call them AFTER I called HAL(just to see what they said)

Something about getting it straight from the source!!

Joseph

I would try to get someone to go in his place before losing the fare. I believe you can change a passenger name (at least you can with other cruise lines). If that doesn't work, it's probably just a loss but definitely call HAL and ask for his gratuities to be waived if you end up cruising alone... Best of luck and I hope your partner is well enough to enjoy the cruise with you 🙂 

Edited by Samanthac25

If you notify HAL in advance, with no insurance, they will refund your partners fare according to the schedule published and included in your cruise documents. You will then be re-fared at the solo rate. Most likely this will end up costing you extra.

If you don't notify HAL and he just doesn't show up, you will be refunded his port fees, but no other adjustment will be made.

When I had the same situation a few years ago I ended up saving a couple hundred dollars by using the "No Show" method.

4 minutes ago, richwmn said:

When I had the same situation a few years ago I ended up saving a couple hundred dollars by using the "No Show" method.

Interesting!

9 minutes ago, richwmn said:

If you notify HAL in advance, with no insurance, they will refund your partners fare according to the schedule published and included in your cruise documents. You will then be re-fared at the solo rate. Most likely this will end up costing you extra.

If you don't notify HAL and he just doesn't show up, you will be refunded his port fees, but no other adjustment will be made.

This is a situation where we wont really know until we are into the 100% no refund stage, so I have read about the no show method.  People do get sick the day before a cruise.

I travel solo most of the time, but have 'partnered up' a couple of times, so learned about this situation. 
I agree with richwmn's assessment. 
No show gets the most bang for the buck. 

Actually I believe that having appropriate insurance gets the most bang -  cancel person gets their $$ back and you get to go solo with no supplement.

39 minutes ago, wander said:

Actually I believe that having appropriate insurance gets the most bang -  cancel person gets their $$ back and you get to go solo with no supplement.

'Would have gotten ... ' in this case, though. OP is already past final payment. 

Had that been the case, though, both would have needed to have insurance. The one canceling would need insurance to get a refund, and the one choosing to cruise would need insurance to pay the single supplement which would now be due. 

RuthC,

Yes, both would have needed to have insurance.  However, being past final payment has nothing to do with this.  My traveling companion learned she needed immediate surgery three days before we were to sail.  She basically received her full fair refund, I had the single supplement covered and went on the cruise.  For a very recent cruise and a future cruise I looked into the insurance covereage details and they are the same as they were at the time of the cruise I described above.    

As an aside, we were both 'young", healthy and had never purchased trip insurance before.  For this trip, we each had elderly parents with multiple medical issues and we were concerned about having to get home quickly.  We NEVER though of buying the insurance because of either of us!  

Edited by wander
clarification

I've been through this when my girlfriend had to cancel for health reasons after final payment.  She had insurance so she got her money back that way and I sailed alone with no additional charges for single supplement since HAL had been paid in full at final payment and only refunded the port fees for my partner.  

1 hour ago, DeepWaterMariner said:

I've been through this when my girlfriend had to cancel for health reasons after final payment.  She had insurance so she got her money back that way and I sailed alone with no additional charges for single supplement since HAL had been paid in full at final payment and only refunded the port fees for my partner.  

Was this “private” insurance that covered the single supplement?

If one person cancels after final payment, does the TA still get the commission?

21 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Was this “private” insurance that covered the single supplement?

It was private insurance and single supplement didn't come into play.  We live in different states so we had separate travel insurance policies with different companies.  HAL had been paid in full and we were well into the cancelation penalty period so my partner only received port taxes back from the line while collecting on her private insurance.  I didn't have to pay anything additional for single supplement.

On 10/11/2019 at 6:48 PM, wander said:

As an aside, we were both 'young", healthy and had never purchased trip insurance before.  For this trip, we each had elderly parents with multiple medical issues and we were concerned about having to get home quickly.  We NEVER though of buying the insurance because of either of us!  

Excellent object lesson in the need for insurance. There was a time when DW & I chose to "go bare," but no longer. When we eventually started carrying insurance routinely, I was surprised at the peace of mind that ensued. Knock on wood, we haven't yet had occasion to file a claim (and, in terms of percentage, it's disproportionately expensive imho), but the peace of mind makes a huge difference.

This has been a very interesting and instructive thread. Kudos to the OP!