Our Carnival Sunrise B2B to Bermuda?? & New England / Canada (with pics) – 9/16/2019.

3 hours ago, jjsparkles said:

Following along and enjoying your fantastic photos! Looks like a great time so far :)

Glad to have you following along! Just want to say that your son Mark is a very talented musician. We listened to them several times during our time on the Sunrise and enjoyed them very much. I wanted to say hello to him, but for some reason it never worked out. Will he be doing another contract, and if so what ship? :classic_cool:

Day # 5 – 9/20/19  -  A Little Bit Calmer Day at Sea.

We woke up at 8 am to a beautiful sunny day. It’s a chilly 54 degrees right now, but it’s supposed to warm up into the mid 70’s. The seas are still a bit bouncy today, but nothing like they were the past few days. Here are today’s Fun Times…..

i-m2WPKhC-XL.jpg

i-7t8bP6h-XL.jpg

i-DpDCLM4-XL.jpg

We decided to skip breakfast today, and have lunch later on. There isn’t a Morning Show today so I decide to stay in the cabin for a while and work on the pictures.

At 10:30 am there is a shopping event that Patti wants to check out, so I decide to grab the camera and head upstairs to take some pictures.

One of the major complaints about the Sunrise is the tightness of the passageway by both the Blue Iguana Cantina and Guy’s Burgers which creates a bottleneck. It’s really difficult to navigate through if you are in a wheelchair, or use a scooter. The following pictures show just how tight this is…

i-7M8xxFx-XL.jpg

i-jXLpMkQ-XL.jpg

This problem has existed since Guy’s and the Cantina were installed on the Triumph. This should have been corrected during the refurbishment. And to make matters worse, there are drink stations on both sides in that passage way……

i-fmmHRDz-XL.jpg

They are still serving breakfast at the Blue Iguana Cantina…..

i-49bZn4c-XL.jpg

i-R2bpMx3-XL.jpg

Though it is chilly, the kids don’t mind and they are enjoying the pool…..

i-pPvQ2Dm-XL.jpg

Since it is still breakfast time, the deli is being used as an omelet station. In addition, Lucky Bowl, Seafood Shack, and Cucina del Capitano are also being used as omelet stations, and they also have breakfast meats and potatoes. This alleviates some of the crowds at the buffet lines…..

i-gSR6fHh-XL.jpg

Here’s a view of one of the buffet lines and seating in the Market Place for breakfast…..

i-Qq44gfB-XL.jpg

Of course you can have pizza 24 hours a day  :classic_biggrin:…..

i-DRZMN6F-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

Edited by Jamman54

I continue with my walk. Here is the Tides Pool and bar…..

i-KwJR7WV-XL.jpg

i-WJbgVBz-XL.jpg

The Seafood Shack and menu…..

i-FcRCHWL-XL.jpg

i-3hVwHL8-XL.jpg

I move up to Deck 10 and look down on the Tides Pool and hot tubs…..

i-2gdw34p-XL.jpg

i-F2GFvsD-XL.jpg

I have another bone to pick with Carnival. The Triumph’s aft pool had a sliding glass dome that could be closed in the event of inclement or cool weather. During the refurb they removed this glass dome completely. Why? It does rain in the Caribbean, and if you are going to send the ship north in September and October to do Canada cruises, it does get cold! It appears that they will be doing the same thing to the Radiance. Crazy. I guess they need the room to store lounge chairs!

i-XBrX26x-XL.jpg

This is the smoking section on Deck 10 starboard side…..

i-3dNLGqm-XL.jpg

Looking up at the Sports Square on Deck 11…..

i-WrGGvnm-XL.jpg

Guy’s Pig and Anchor getting ready to open for lunch…..

i-Nz9mJNV-XL.jpg

i-rvGNMC7-XL.jpg

i-WVtscgz-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

Some adults are now in the pool with their children…..

i-jRLJdtc-XL.jpg

I’m looking at the Lido and the Waterworks. It looks like the Chogs are in play today…..

i-ThVGsLH-XL.jpg

i-8bTMH6S-XL.jpg

The Blue Iguana Tequila Bar…..

i-Gc4fHBJ-XL.jpg

i-7Q89vJ6-XL.jpg

The Red Frog Rum Bar…..

i-3W557pc-XL.jpg

i-b624hVv-XL.jpg

Here are a few views taken from the Waterworks…..

i-tpTLmmz-XL.jpg

i-B8Vrdrq-XL.jpg

i-WmSkGLt-XL.jpg

Ryan is pouring my first Thirsty Frog Wheat of the day…..

i-69gzW7S-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

Yoki stops by to say hello….

i-PLVcpPt-XL.jpg

That’s quite an assortment of drinks the guests are ordering today…..

i-BwfCpWh-XL.jpg

A little after noon I meet Patti back at the cabin. Here is today’s towel animal…..

i-H8ZMFkD-XL.jpg

We decide that we will go up to the Market Place for lunch. We had no problem finding a table to sit at. I decided to try the Lucky Bowl…..

i-J25P764-XL.jpg

i-nzCzrnv-XL.jpg

I tried both the chicken and pork bowls, and I enjoyed them, but they wouldn’t be my first choice if I’m cruising in the Caribbean and it’s 90 degrees outside…..

i-CZ5ZWxw-XL.jpg

I was feeling extra hungry so I also had a Guy’s Burger…..

i-TnhwnX6-XL.jpg

Patti got a wrap from the deli. She said the line was only 5 deep, but it took 10 minutes because the people up front kept changing their minds on what they wanted on their sandwiches. She also got one of the pre-made salad bowls. I had never seen them before…..

i-QbLwW4h-XL.jpg

i-34mtTfc-XL.jpg

i-3LKNHpc-XL.jpg

i-4jsGMhr-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

Patti checked out the Sweet Spot desserts but neither of us indulged…..

i-qWQvknF-XL.jpg

i-2HPVtHw-XL.jpg

i-mWJJm6t-XL.jpg

i-GpHtgnR-XL.jpg

i-nxwPJn8-XL.jpg

Afterwards, we went to this afternoon’s bingo session and once again we didn’t have any luck. I went back to the cabin for a nap, while Patti changed to go work out at the gym. She got a few shots of the Cloud 9 Spa, but didn’t take any in the gym because it was pretty crowded…..

i-76dnRbH-XL.jpg

i-BRRnHbN-XL.jpg

i-3PWcVgm-XL.jpg

Tonight we have a reservation for the Fahrenheit 555 Steakhouse at 7 pm. Here is the menu…..

i-wz4tczh-XL.jpg

The chefs are hard at work…..

i-M3jWm5n-XL.jpg

This table is set for two…..

i-tp4WMn2-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

Here we are at the Fahrenheit 555 Steakhouse…..

i-xxm3CSJ-XL.jpg

i-jwsZN3d-XL.jpg

The amuse bouche, which was very good, was a shrimp something or other…..

i-wxFsngg-XL.jpg

This was the salt presentation. Don’t remember which salt we picked, but it was red :classic_biggrin:

i-f967HCH-XL.jpg

We both started with a jumbo shrimp cocktail and a Caesar salad…..

i-f7mFKjC-XL.jpg

i-gmvFsD4-XL.jpg

For her main Patti chose the Dover sole, while I had a cowboy steak…..

i-RNG4MPn-XL.jpg

i-mVJgfH5-XL.jpg

For our sides, I had the wasabi mashed potatoes and Patti had a baked potato…..

i-rG2zkjm-XL.jpg

We didn’t want anything too heavy for dessert so we both went with the chocolate pretzel ice cream…..

i-rjwxLv7-XL.jpg

The meal was great as usual, and we both were stuffed! Here are tonight’s entertainment highlights. The Electric Violin music by the Black Diamonds will perform in the Sunrise Lobby. Steve G.B. performs in the Red Frog Pub, Dizzy leads the sing along at Piano Bar 88, and the Playlist cast, along with the Hip Stars, will perform in the Liquid Lounge.

After strolling the Promenade, Patti heads back to the cabin to watch a movie, while I go visit my buddy Stefan at the Sports Bar.

Coming up next: A very enjoyable last sea day.

1 hour ago, Jamman54 said:

Glad to have you following along! Just want to say that your son Mark is a very talented musician. We listened to them several times during our time on the Sunrise and enjoyed them very much. I wanted to say hello to him, but for some reason it never worked out. Will he be doing another contract, and if so what ship? :classic_cool:

Thanks so much for your lovely comments. Glad you enjoyed them. Yes, he’ll be on the Horizon from the end of February until August next year. Hopefully another trip for us to look forward to 😎

Day # 6 – 9/21/19  -  The Last Day of this Cruise!

We were up at 8 am to another beautiful day. It is 64 degrees now and it will get up into the 80’s later. The seas are CALM, and we are sailing at a brisk 7.5 knots! Here are the final Fun Times of the cruise…..

i-ssfh2kZ-XL.jpg

i-3zCRTZP-XL.jpg

i-kBV2mnx-XL.jpg

At 9:30 am we went to the Morning Show hosted today by Pablo, Mikey, and Tyler…..

i-QSrdP9W-XL.jpg

There were free mimosas for anyone that wanted them…..

i-SBFm6sp-XL.jpg

Raeden is promoting today’s t-shirt sales…..

i-NvxkTj4-XL.jpg

i-KJ5x9Xh-XL.jpg

Mikey has the boys doing a blind taste test…..

i-VgKHqMx-XL.jpg

i-C6KVp9N-XL.jpg

Mikey tries to slip them “Death by Salsa”, but Pablo catches on…..

i-vW4w9x4-XL.jpg

Following the Morning Show they will be having a towel animal folding class…..

i-WttTr4V-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

After the Morning Show I head up to the Red Frog Rum Bar to see my buds, while Patti heads back to the cabin. On the way back she stops at the Red Frog Pub to take some pictures…..

i-6pVxspv-XL.jpg

i-9CwxmBd-XL.jpg

i-smfLR9f-XL.jpg

i-hDrT7L2-XL.jpg

i-SMMmZJt-XL.jpg

i-rqKC3f2-XL.jpg

i-wLgD2ww-XL.jpg

i-GMfFBkC-XL.jpg

i-c7CCp3W-XL.jpg

Back at the cabin Patti finds today’s towel animal…..

i-TXtVVwb-XL.jpg

Our B2B letter has also arrived……

i-NTccCx9-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

It’s time for the VIFP Party at the Liquid Lounge…..

i-FXvMpVR-XL.jpg

i-vFWRW3r-X2.jpg

Steve G.B. is providing the music…..

i-c735gwG-XL.jpg

i-bCn59Jq-XL.jpg

i-q7Rx4HP-XL.jpg

There are plenty of snacks, drinks, and the usual guessing games…..

i-QZ4LTTz-XL.jpg

Our Cruise Director Mikey Gibson hosts the event…..

i-P3jsk3G-XL.jpg

After the usual video of the ships, Mikey introduces the Senior Staff…..

i-2L3f6fj-XL.jpg

Here’s Mikey with Captain Renda…..

i-GGqp5Z3-XL.jpg

I won the prize for the Guess the Ship game…..

i-c22hWWV-XL.jpg

i-wKLKbbW-XL.jpg

Here are Patti and I with a couple of Cruise Critic friends…..

i-NQ8LDGz-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

Mikey hosts a Q & A session in the Liquid Lounge…..

i-rsgsszB-XL.jpg

i-KcRLFj6-XL.jpg

i-pTF9tQQ-XL.jpg

I have the mic but I don’t ask a question. I just wanted to thank him and the entire crew for a job well done under very trying circumstances, which drew a loud applause from those in attendance…..

i-XHHSLHf-XL.jpg

After the Q & A was the last bingo session of the cruise. Once again we didn’t have any luck. Hey Tyler, we thought you were our friend! :classic_biggrin:

Afterwards, I went to the Sports Bar to watch some football. I was hungry so I used the Hub App to have a pizza delivered to me there!

Patti went up on the open decks where she found that the Coast Guard was evacuating someone from the ship due to a medical emergency. It was said, though unconfirmed, that a pregnant crew member had given birth prematurely and had to be evacuated. It was also said in the end, mother and child were both doing fine. Here are some pictures of that evacuation…..

i-VdRLWpV-XL.jpg

i-zx7Pkgd-XL.jpg

i-WcLBHvq-XL.jpg

i-XtwRHGK-XL.jpg

i-V6b6HfS-XL.jpg

i-9QQ9B9L-XL.jpg

i-VQvFqDV-XL.jpg

i-ZzPFFsG-XL.jpg

i-gNdChNs-XL.jpg

Many thanks to the United States Coast Guard for a job well done!!!

To be continued…..

Late afternoon pictures on the open decks…..

i-H7WfCfL-XL.jpg

i-DNpJNXh-XL.jpg

i-DvXR3bj-XL.jpg

i-JKPcvdM-XL.jpg

Here are tonight’s dinner menus…..

i-CqsCp4x-XL.jpg

i-gMwhT2B-XL.jpg

i-dF4dccQ-XL.jpg

Patti started with the flatbread and a Caesar salad, while I started with two orders of steamed mussels…..

i-Bf85n9k-XL.jpg

i-D7BFSf6-XL.jpg

i-95QXSTh-XL.jpg

We both had the caprese salad…..

i-kkDmsBj-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

On 10/10/2019 at 12:53 PM, Jamman54 said:

We were feeling hungry so we decided to head to the pasta bar at Cucina del Capitano. We jumped on an elevator and went up to Deck 10. We got off the elevator then proceeded to almost walk into the sliding glass doors that lead out to the open deck. I remembered that you have to push a button to open these doors now since they are no longer motion activated. Who’s bright idea was that? .

Those doors were the running joke on the Vista. We sailed on her two weeks ago and those doors were on deck 10 that led from the tides pool to the aft evelators. 1st day were we just standing there thinking we were not allowed in or that it was block off until an attendant came and tap the button. At first it was funny but then it became annoying. You would see people stepping backwards and forwards trying to get the door open.

For her main Patti had the penne shrimp and bacon, and I had the tiger shrimp creole……

i-n8CFCFM-XL.jpg

i-2C88Q8D-XL.jpg

For dessert, we both had the baked Alaska…..

i-3KMGxQQ-XL.jpg

Laura came over to see us with some happy news. We are scheduled to have YTD next cruise, so we asked Laura a few days ago if we could be changed to the early assigned dining AND keep our same table and wait staff. She had come over to tell us it had all been taken care of! We just wanted to hug her! :classic_biggrin:

Right on cue Yoki appeared with the shot of the day :classic_smile:…..

i-RvvmVKb-XL.jpg

We raised a toast to the fun we had on this cruise, and the fun we’ll be sure to have on the next one!

i-xG2jtDr-XL.jpg

i-JVjBwZr-XL.jpg

Now it was show time! Time for the wait staff to sing “Leaving on a Fun Ship” which always makes us sad, but not tonight because we’re not leaving! :classic_biggrin:

i-nCckcV4-XL.jpg

i-CcLhfn5-XL.jpg

Tonight in the Liquid Lounge is the Playlist Production of “Latin Nights”. In the Sunrise Lobby you can listen to the solo guitar sounds of Steve G.B. Once again at the Red Frog Pub, the Hip Stars will be playing all night, and Dizzy will be holding court at Piano Bar 88.

I’m tired, so tonight I’ll be heading back to the cabin to chill and work on pictures. Patti is going to stroll around the ship for a while. She heads back up to the Cloud 9 Spa on Deck 11 forward to take pictures of the gym equipment…..

i-ZbqF9KF-XL.jpg

i-dmt69TT-XL.jpg

i-MqVWRrq-XL.jpg

i-mh6hmmd-XL.jpg

i-VKmMTMd-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

Edited by Jamman54

The floor exercise area is up the stairs…..

i-Cws3G7D-XL.jpg

i-gBTV4Xp-XL.jpg

This is the Ladies locker room and showers…..

i-F9j65tC-XL.jpg

i-2rXV4S7-XL.jpg

i-T6SSXz3-XL.jpg

i-NKWn5p3-XL.jpg

This is the Relaxation Lounge….

i-vcSV4xX-XL.jpg

The Fitness Center rules…..

i-3k4QZqZ-XL.jpg

Camp Ocean, Club O2, and Circle “C” are all located on Deck 12 forward…..

i-2NLd9Mx-XL.jpg

i-D95H8hq-XL.jpg

i-vkL8r2x-XL.jpg

Heading back to our cabin Patti spots luggage that has been placed out in the halls. None of it will be ours! :classic_biggrin:

i-zZPRRHs-XL.jpg

Coming up next: Turn around day. Let’s do it again!!

2 hours ago, jjsparkles said:

Thanks so much for your lovely comments. Glad you enjoyed them. Yes, he’ll be on the Horizon from the end of February until August next year. Hopefully another trip for us to look forward to 😎

That's GREAT news for Carnival! I was hoping he would be on the Glory in April or the Mardi Gras in September. Enjoy your cruise on the Horizon! :classic_biggrin:

37 minutes ago, cruzin Phillis said:

Those doors were the running joke on the Vista. We sailed on her two weeks ago and those doors were on deck 10 that led from the tides pool to the aft evelators. 1st day were we just standing there thinking we were not allowed in or that it was block off until an attendant came and tap the button. At first it was funny but then it became annoying. You would see people stepping backwards and forwards trying to get the door open.

Thanks for stopping by! We continue to enjoy your Vista review, :classic_smile: I didn't know that they had "the button" on the Vista and probably the Horizon since we haven't sailed on them as of yet. What's the point? How many people walk into them each week before they figure it out? Seems idiotic to me. :classic_cool:

27 minutes ago, cruzin Phillis said:

So... what will it take for you and Patty to come sail out of Galveston with us??? Say a 9 day cruise on the Radiance February 4, 2022????

Nothing against Galveston, but it's much cheaper for us to do a Western Caribbean cruise out of Florida. However, a unique itinerary could sway us. We'll have to check that out. :classic_smile:

6 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

i-F2GFvsD-XL.jpg

I have another bone to pick with Carnival. The Triumph’s aft pool had a sliding glass dome that could be closed in the event of inclement or cool weather. During the refurb they removed this glass dome completely. Why? It does rain in the Caribbean, and if you are going to send the ship north in September and October to do Canada cruises, it does get cold! It appears that they will be doing the same thing to the Radiance. Crazy. I guess they need the room to store lounge chairs!

Carnival seems to have soured on the Magrodomes - since Dream, they haven't found a home on Carnival ships and, as you noted, have been eliminated on Sunshine, Sunrise, and soon-to-be-Radiance. If I had to guess, they don't like the room they take up and the extra deck work it takes to open and close them. However, one of my favorite memories is from our first cruise on Victory in 2004, when we met our oldest son, then 13, at the aft pool with his Camp Carnival group having a party under the dome. He was in his bathing suit, dripping wet, with a slice of pizza in one hand and an ice cream cone  in the other, exclaiming "this is great!".😀

Let us know when you are ready to rebook Bermuda. We definitely want to go again. We will have to get together when your are in the area after your Mardi Gras Cruise.  Looks like you had a good cruise to Charleston.  Looking forward to the New England - Canada review. 

Edited by Webecruzen
9 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

I didn't know that they had "the button" on the Vista and probably the Horizon since we haven't sailed on them as of yet. What's the point? How many people walk into them each week before they figure it out? Seems idiotic to me. :classic_cool:

A few weeks back on the Magic we were frustrated by the same buttons. I am quite sure they are not original since they are not placed in logical spots and some doors use them and some are actually automatic. The worst was the door from the aft elevators to the outside on deck 11 (think outside Cucina). To get in them you have to hit a button that is four or five feet down the wall.

Edited by jasong38501
5 hours ago, jasong38501 said:

A few weeks back on the Magic we were frustrated by the same buttons. I am quite sure they are not original since they are not placed in logical spots and some doors use them and some are actually automatic. The worst was the door from the aft elevators to the outside on deck 11 (think outside Cucina). To get in them you have to hit a button that is four or five feet down the wall.

Actually, ALL the doors on the NCL Getaway had these “buttons” on their doors to get outside, so I was surprised on my Carnival Cruise last March that they did not have them. I would suspect they are there to save on AC. Why have a door open when you walk by it if you aren’t going out it? I’m sure if they start installing these on all Carnival ships, we would get used to them easily. No big deal. Hardly anything to get upset about.

It's so incredibly hot and humid at those aft pools with the roof shut, though!  Of course, when the weather doesn't cooperate, without the dome, it forces everyone inside which makes an already-crowded ship pretty unbearable.

Oh, and I like the looks of the cobb salad.  Didn't know they were offering these at the deli.  Must say, the thing I missed most about Carnival while on these past 3 cruises on MSC was the deli.

Looking forward to reading about the next leg!