Best Food Worst Food

Airbear232

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

It's not particularly the kids. I have to admit I've never been a big fan of Disney's whole experience of manufactured fun in their parks. I'd rather visit the real Paris or London than the sanitized EPCOT versions, and find Disney staff in their parks to be almost Stepford-like in their uniform cheeriness and helpfulness.

I've never been on a Disney cruise but have often wondered if they are the same, e.g., more of a 'Disney interpretation' of classic cruising than actual classic cruising. 

"...actual classic cruising..."     sounds great; where do you find it?

Long ago I spent two days at Disney World - with children aged 4 through 7.  They loved it (that aged semi-formed folk love lots of questionable stuff)  - I have no intention to ever return - but each of my lot has taken his/her lot - probably never to return themselves - but I imagine each generation is likely to inflict it upon the next.

N W I H will I ever go to sea with the Head Rodent..

• Like 1

We avoid Disney but a family member was supposed to be married there so we go , got a really nice hotel on property, tickets for a few days , first class air etc, two days before groom canceled we were not happy , could not cancel since we had a package.

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

It's not particularly the kids. I have to admit I've never been a big fan of Disney's whole experience of manufactured fun in their parks. I'd rather visit the real Paris or London than the sanitized EPCOT versions, and find Disney staff in their parks to be almost Stepford-like in their uniform cheeriness and helpfulness.

I've never been on a Disney cruise but have often wondered if they are the same, e.g., more of a 'Disney interpretation' of classic cruising than actual classic cruising. 

Yes and no.  You can either be somewhat immersed in the mouse, or you can just enjoy a cruise experience with good food, excellent service, nice staterooms, and adult only areas.  The classic ships are better at segregating the kids and to me have the feel of a classic ocean liner as opposed to a DIsney mega-ship, although they lack Remy. 

Edited by ducklite

1 hour ago, George C said:

Totally agree , I do not understand why adults would want to visit , not nearly enough bars.

You obviously haven't been to Epcot.  I'm not sure you can go more than about 150 feet without being at the next bar.  There are at least 15 places to get a drink without sitting down in a restaurant to eat.  Add in those and it's closer to 30.

While not as many, the Animal Kingdom also has plenty of places to get an adult refreshment.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

"...actual classic cruising..."     sounds great; where do you find it?

Voyages to Antiquity, for one. Except for the whole 'formal dress' thing. But majority of passengers are British and dress appropriately, if not formally (not required) and that is fine with me. 

As for the Magic Kingdom, I find it creepy, like being in the Matrix. I'm one that prefers the real world -- even when that comes with a side of graffiti, garbage, rudeness, public transportation, and the occasional public urination.  (Not that I prefer the 'sides' but if that's the deal, then so be it.)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I have heard that the duck is not a real duck. Just saying.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

What? You’ve been taken in by that bare-assed sailor?

My money is on Goofy - who is smart enough to play stupid.

😁😁😁

5 hours ago, George C said:

When I first did Sabatinis it was very nice this was about 15 years ago but did not care for visits after that, same goes for rccl Giovanni’s really liked that 7 or so years ago but last few visits were pretty bad and I am very particular about Italian food coming from a NYC Italian family.  About twenty years ago my wife wanted to try Olive Garden, I took about two bites of lasagna and I wouldn’t eat another , they asked me what was wrong I said it wasn’t Italian food, have not returned.

I spent 25 years working for a company in which I was the only non -Italian .I learned about every aspect of Italian food and I am very particular about Italian restaurant food.

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

If you are looking for classic cruising I would say not Disney.  They clearly are delivering the Disney experience.  

Anyway, I agree that Disney is no substitute for the real Paris, but I can still enjoy the magical kingdom.   

I was in Disneyland in 1969 and I have to say that I liked it.

3 hours ago, ducklite said:

You obviously haven't been to Epcot.  I'm not sure you can go more than about 150 feet without being at the next bar.  There are at least 15 places to get a drink without sitting down in a restaurant to eat.  Add in those and it's closer to 30.

While not as many, the Animal Kingdom also has plenty of places to get an adult refreshment.

Our hotel was walking distance to Epcot again you can keep it

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I spent 25 years working for a company in which I was the only non -Italian .I learned about every aspect of Italian food and I am very particular about Italian restaurant food.

Most people born and raised in NYC know what good Italian is. 

21 minutes ago, George C said:

Most people born and raised in NYC know what good Italian is. 

Correction: Most people born and raised in NYC know what good Italian-American food is.

Many go to Italy and are amazed that the food they grew up eating is not always the same there....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Correction: Most people born and raised in NYC know what good Italian-American food is.

Many go to Italy and are amazed that the food they grew up eating is not always the same there....

I loved the food in Italy and did not find it that different. Had a cruise with 5 different ports in Italy. 

Just now, George C said:

I loved the food in Italy and did not find it that different. Had a cruise with 5 different ports in Italy. 

I go to Italy several times a year and always end up talking to tourists who are "amazed" at the differences. There are many articles on this, for example: 

https://www.made-in-italy.com/italian-food/news-italian-food/italian-vs-italian-american-cuisine/     

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/italian-american-food_n_5b364d53e4b08c3a8f69c37c

Also, keep in mind that Italian cuisine is VERY regional. Dishes you find on the menu in Florence are often quite different to what you'll find in Sicily. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I totally understand my brother in law doesn’t like almost all Italian food but liked food in Milan , food in NYC restaurants are not all the same . We are going to our favorite Italian restaurant tonight and he just returned from a family visit to Sicily and I am sure he will add some dish’s he discovered on his trip. 

Edited by George C

On 10/15/2019 at 7:38 AM, Cruzaholic41 said:

The worst I’ve had by far and most consistent is NCL.

100% agree.   Most certainly felt the "included" food was intentionally poor so as to force pax to pay for the good stuff.  

3 minutes ago, clo said:

But as cruisemom42 said there's Italian food and there's Italian-American food.  What YOUR favorite cuisine?

Here's an informative article.

https://www.mashed.com/30509/eat-spaghetti-like-true-italian/

I have never been to Italy but in all the years I lived in NYC ,from birth to 2003 I have been to hundreds if not thousands Italian restaurants as well as virtually every other ethnic restaurants. I have never been to Europe ,Asia or any other continent except for a cruise to South America,therefore I cannot compare the American version to the native country.

6 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have never been to Italy but in all the years I lived in NYC ,from birth to 2003 I have been to hundreds if not thousands Italian restaurants as well as virtually every other ethnic restaurants. I have never been to Europe ,Asia or any other continent except for a cruise to South America,therefore I cannot compare the American version to the native country.

Totally understand.  But do you have a favorite cuisine?  What do y'all cook at home?  I'd say Italian is likely my go-to because I love the flavor, the ease and the fact that I always have ingredients on hand to make something.

3 minutes ago, clo said:

Totally understand.  But do you have a favorite cuisine?  What do y'all cook at home?  I'd say Italian is likely my go-to because I love the flavor, the ease and the fact that I always have ingredients on hand to make something.

I would say that Italian is our favorite cuisine even though we are not Italian.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

People born and raised in NYC seem not only to know what good Italian food is but nearly every other ethnic food ,in my opinion.

Agree in general for ethnic food , but I take Texas BBQ over NY . Also doubt Mexican can equal our Tex-mex . But food is a big part of our annual nyc vacation. My wife is not Italian but again nobody is perfect but loves Italian food. 

In 2006 I went to visit a friend in Houston and we went to a Tex-mex that was better than any I have been to in NYC.For some reason,over the past few years a lot of BBQ restaurants have been opening in my part of Long Island.I went to a few but they were not as good as the ones I went to in Houston.