Cruise Critic Community
kcwiak

Thanksgiving Cruise on Dawn - What Do We Need to Know?

Hi! Can anyone give me some info on Dawn or NCL in general for Thanksgiving? Should we book a specialty restaurant or do Main Dining? Do they do the traditional Thanksgiving dinner?

Thanks for your help!

We have done a Thanksgiving cruise a couple times, not on the Dawn, but the experience was similar on the other ships.  They do have a thanksgiving themed menu in the main dining room, but it's got some "interpretations" like sweet potato mousse.  We enjoyed it on.  We also did Cagney's one time and that was of course nice, but there wasn't anything added.  People mostly recommend the buffet because there are lots of the traditional Thanksgiving options, and of course the ability for seconds!  We aren't really into the buffet so we didn't try it, but lots complimented it.  If you aren't going with buffet I'd suggest making reservations whereever you go- try to make them before you board, or right when you get on.

1 hour ago, kcwiak said:

Hi! Can anyone give me some info on Dawn or NCL in general for Thanksgiving? Should we book a specialty restaurant or do Main Dining? Do they do the traditional Thanksgiving dinner?

Thanks for your help!

A lot of people want to do a specialty restaurant for Thanksgiving. If you have not booked already, they are probably sold out for online bookings. Reservations opened at the end of July. So, you'll have to make reservations your top priority as soon as you embark. Eat at the MDR or Buffet if you want a traditional Thanksgiving Dinner. 

We do not need to make any reservations at the MDR correct?

13 hours ago, rjm11 said:

We have done a Thanksgiving cruise a couple times, not on the Dawn, but the experience was similar on the other ships.  They do have a thanksgiving themed menu in the main dining room, but it's got some "interpretations" like sweet potato mousse.  We enjoyed it on.  We also did Cagney's one time and that was of course nice, but there wasn't anything added.  People mostly recommend the buffet because there are lots of the traditional Thanksgiving options, and of course the ability for seconds!  We aren't really into the buffet so we didn't try it, but lots complimented it.  If you aren't going with buffet I'd suggest making reservations whereever you go- try to make them before you board, or right when you get on.

sweet potato mousse?? i am on this cruise to and would think the main dining room would have a traditional thanksgiving dinner? thats a little disappointing to hear. My adult kids will be with us and that was the night i was planning on insisting we all have dinner together. i was counting on the main dining room

I don’t get these Thanksgiving cruises, do you take the whole week off? It’s only one day off you get from work, why are these cruises so popular? You can take any other week off and it will be cheaper no? 

25 minutes ago, JustAPilot said:

I don’t get these Thanksgiving cruises, do you take the whole week off? It’s only one day off you get from work, why are these cruises so popular? You can take any other week off and it will be cheaper no? 

Kids are off from school for the week, many jobs have four day weekends for Thanksgiving so you only need to use a few vacation days.

4 hours ago, JustAPilot said:

For me, this would be a week cruise with only missing 3 days of work. My daughter would only miss 2 days of school. Yes, other weeks would be cheaper, but they would definitely not work for our schedules.

Do they still do thanksgiving themed meals if we are doing a Med cruise?

21 hours ago, kcwiak said:

We do not need to make any reservations at the MDR correct?

You may want to make one if the dining room allows.  Christmas last year on the Breakaway MDR there was the people who reserved in the MDR and a whole lot standing outside.  Specialty restaurants will go quick as well.