Cruise Critic Community
Joe817

For The Beer Drinkers - Carnival Introduces New Beers, Including Pumpkin Ale

2 hours ago, stellarose said:

all ships? December too?

Yes!

"The new products were introduced at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver, Colorado. (It’s worth noting that Carnival was the first cruise operator to ever exhibit at the annual event!) While Carnival had several beer-related announcements, the big news was the debut of the ParchedPig Pumpkin Ale, which will be sold in bottles and available on draft across the entire fleet in the weeks ahead."

Oh how I wish I could get a taste of that. For a collector of bottles, that may be a collectors item in the coming, years....or decades. 

I love a good pumpkin ale!  So hoping to find this in the Pub on Sunshine in 2 weeks!!

I was able to try this at the festival. It’s very very good. 

Just now, birdsinparadise525 said:

Thanks for quick reply. This is the current one?

Unless it's changed in the past couple months.

On 10/12/2019 at 5:39 PM, Saint Greg said:

This is probably the one you want. I have pretty much all of the menus here: https://saintgregtravel.com/menus/

Thank you for the links! Any chance you have one for the Havana bar?

On 10/12/2019 at 6:44 PM, birdsinparadise525 said:

Thanks for quick reply. This is the current one?

The current one (at least on Liberty) also includes Truly, Wild Berry (I don’t like it but saw a lot of people drinking it on our last cruise) and Sangria Swirl (lime margarita mixed with red sangria). 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

I hope this Pumpkin Ale  is on my Halloween sailing on the Breeze at the end of the month! If it is, feel sorry for the people on sailing after mine, because there prob won’t be any left🍻🎃👻🍻

1 hour ago, pamici said:

Guess I need to add that one. Here you go.

D75EA3C5-8C21-4217-8324-6C663CFE1D43.jpeg

70760CDF-BB68-4A0E-9E65-010D9F3D645D.jpeg

1 hour ago, pamici said:

This is the papa doble..didn’t really like it but I’ve read others did like it.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cb

78247ECC-C8C3-4CC2-BF21-BF52EA36297A.jpeg

Edited by Saint Greg

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

This is the papa doble..didn’t really like it but I’ve read others did like it.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cb

78247ECC-C8C3-4CC2-BF21-BF52EA36297A.jpeg

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Guess I need to add that one. Here you go.

Nice! Muchas gracias 🙂 Yeah, the description on Papa Doble doesn't sound too enticing. Thanks for braving it for us!

Most of those sound really good 🙂 I was pleasantly surprised to not see much coconut, which seems to be a staple in many rum based cocktails (and rules out said cocktails for me).

I like some grapefruit based drinks (squirt, fresca, ting), but many don't like the bitterness.  I'm also not sure about maraschino with it.  Thanks for the warning 🙂  

The daiquiris I had in Havana (the city, not the bar on Carnival ships) in May were so incredibly delicious and nothing like the things made with drink mixes.  I so want to go back!

Anyway - pumpkin ale.  My favorite, which I haven't been able to find for a couple of years, was from Cottonwood Brewery.  Started in Boone, NC, where I lived for many years.   It was delicious when on tap there at the brewpub. They moved or were bought out by Foothills Brewery in Asheville.  Haven't checked the bottle shops but it used to show up in the grocery stores at this time of year.  No longer. 😥

Has anyone had it on ship yet? We will be on the Breeze Thanksgiving and will definitely be looking for it but meanwhile would love to hear about it. Since it is a 22 ounce bomber bottle I am curious on the price and if it is covered by Cheers.

If a standard beer is 12 or 16 oz and around $6.50 then I would guess the price to be around $9.  The size is less than 2 standard beers, so I wouldn't view it as a sharing drink and therefore should be covered by Cheers.  I'm not sure what a bomber bottle is, but the picture didn't look like a souvenir type glass or a refillable growler so again it should be covered.

I board Sunshine on Saturday.  Won't have internet and can never get the phone app for these boards to work, so it will be a couple of weeks before I can post here.

Silly me totally forgot about the Pumpkin Ale until more than half-way through the cruise last week!  I went to the Pub (on Thursday afternoon after we left Bermuda, I think) and had a pint.  Draft only in the Pub but I think they had the bottles at the Lido bar.

My favorite I mentioned early (Cottonwood Brewery that I can't find any longer) was like drinking liquid pumpkin pie.  So yummy.  This was more like liquid pumpkin bread.  Still the aroma of those spices but just a slightly different taste.  It was very easy to drink and I regret that I didn't start at Happy Hour when we boarded.  I had a couple of Reds, which is OK, but much preferred the Pumpkin Ale.

I had a pumpkin cider a few years ago that was like drinking pumpkin bread (probably helped that they lined the glass rim with cinnamon sugar 🙂 ) - yum!