3 ports missed due to weather, arrives early and Windstar refuses compensation

buchbim

Despite having already been to the fjords in Norway we chose this cruise because it was on a small "upscale" ship and would be going to the northern Scottish islands, the Faroe islands and ending up in Iceland. Unfortunately due to a storm in the North Sea the captain made the decision to skip all the ports we chose the cruise to be able to visit . The ship also arrived at its destination one day earlier than planned. We appreciate the captain's concern for the safety of the ship and its passengers and he was great at keeping us informed. There was poor planning of alternative activities when the situation changed.

The only compensation given for this change of itinerary was a $50 on board credit. Windstar's response to a request for a partial refund or credit for another cruise was that it had no responsibility and I should read my booking contract --- not a friendly customer service. I know what the contract says, but I Ilve in South Florida where we just had a hurricane that delayed and interrupted many cruises and the cruise companies here went out of their way to compensate, refund and credit passengers whose cruise were interrupted or missed. I have learned a lesson about investigating cruise line's responses to changes in itineraries before I book another cruise. I do know one thing and that is never again will I cruise with Windstar nor would I advise anyone else to.

The cruises that were disrupted in Florida where people got additional compensation either came into a completely different port than they left out of (the better part of 1000 miles away) and/or were delayed by days getting back to the port they were supposed to end in and/or were outright cancelled.  None of these situations apply to you, so apples to oranges.

I've missed ports before due to weather.  Life happens.  It's a risk you take when cruising.  That said, Windstar should return any port charges for ports you were unable to visit, and that's a legitimate request you should make to them.

• Like 1

Sorry for your cruise not  going the way it was expected. I do think if that is ALL they offered you for compensation that is inadequate. I do realize safety and they do not control the weather. But they charge port charges I would guess which should be returned to you. $ 50 dollars onboard credit at their prices certainly is a joke and I certainly would write Windstar a letter! Good luck  🙂

We’ve always had port charges refunded. Also, I think if the cruise actually ended a day early (as in you were all disembarked) you should get credit for the day of the trip that you missed. 

Was this the late August itin on the Pride. There some talk about It in my thread about the breeze that was going in more or less the opposite direction. Others seemed happy with the way they were treated and the weather was horrible!  

I was also on this cruise and, yes, I was deeply disappointed about the missed ports.  We weren't disembarked a day early; we arrived in Reykjavik a day early but stayed on board that day and disembarked on schedule.  To my mind, the upside of all this was that we got two more days in Iceland than originally anticipated, including a stop in Grundarfjordur and the opportunity to see the dramatic Snaefellsnes Peninsula.  Our detour around the north side of Iceland also resulted in all us becoming "blue noses" once we crossed into the Arctic Circle.  (I've got my certificate to prove it.)  We'd already experienced very rocky seas before the itinerary was altered, and I wouldn't have wanted to sail into a severe storm.  I guess it's a "glass half full" or "glass half empty" choice, as far as passengers' attitudes.  I haven't felt the need to apply for any compensation.  That said, I admit to mixed feelings about choosing Windstar again.  The recent reports about Norwegian Cruise Lines' debacle seem to underscore that the North Sea can be wildly unpredictable.

12 minutes ago, Carolfay said:

I was also on this cruise and, yes, I was deeply disappointed about the missed ports.  We weren't disembarked a day early; we arrived in Reykjavik a day early but stayed on board that day and disembarked on schedule.  To my mind, the upside of all this was that we got two more days in Iceland than originally anticipated, including a stop in Grundarfjordur and the opportunity to see the dramatic Snaefellsnes Peninsula.  Our detour around the north side of Iceland also resulted in all us becoming "blue noses" once we crossed into the Arctic Circle.  (I've got my certificate to prove it.)  We'd already experienced very rocky seas before the itinerary was altered, and I wouldn't have wanted to sail into a severe storm.  I guess it's a "glass half full" or "glass half empty" choice, as far as passengers' attitudes.  I haven't felt the need to apply for any compensation.  That said, I admit to mixed feelings about choosing Windstar again.  The recent reports about Norwegian Cruise Lines' debacle seem to underscore that the North Sea can be wildly unpredictable.

what about this would put you off Windstar?  Things beyond the weather? They have lots of itins where this wouldn’t be an issue. 

• Like 1

I'm not particularly put off by Windstar (although the fact that one of the dining room chandeliers fell into the center of a table during dinner one night had me wondering about their maintenance).  Maybe it's more accurate to say I'm going to be leery of cruising in general.  My next international trip will likely be land based.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Carolfay said:

I'm not particularly put off by Windstar (although the fact that one of the dining room chandeliers fell into the center of a table during dinner one night had me wondering about their maintenance).  Maybe it's more accurate to say I'm going to be leery of cruising in general.  My next international trip will likely be land based.

Whoa. That would make me a tad concerned! I can’t imagine. 

We have land based in Portugal in December, then Alaska on the beautified Breeze next June (bucket list) and then a 21 day land culinary trip to China in October 2020. 

the next big unplanned trip after that will be my post-retirement reward in the fall of 2021, maybe something in Asia on WS, but those trips haven’t been announced yet. 

For the life of me I can not imagine blaming WS for bad weather and thinking you were  owed  something all the while they were making the best decision they could for safety. 25 times with WS and being a lifetime sailor what I truly respect with WS is safety first, one  reason of many we are fans. You do deserve port charges returned to you no strings attached. The North Atlantic and the North Sea are  known  for  possibly rough seas, you should have known that before  you traveled there. Happy everyone is safe. Happy Sailing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Strenz said:

For the life of me I can not imagine blaming WS for bad weather and thinking you were  owed  something all the while they were making the best decision they could for safety. 25 times with WS and being a lifetime sailor what I truly respect with WS is safety first, one  reason of many we are fans. You do deserve port charges returned to you no strings attached. The North Atlantic and the North Sea are  known  for  possibly rough seas, you should have known that before  you traveled there. Happy everyone is safe. Happy Sailing.

Some of us thought they were pressing their luck by staying in Iceland as long as they did before turning the ships south, but then we repeatedly heard from locals that winter came about 6 weeks early this year. This was no way WS could have planned for the unusual weather. In the breeze everything was handled with great tact and understanding. I heard on one on board complain. 

• Like 1

We had a major itinerary change in Iceland on Ponant in August.  Big storm off the SW coast of Iceland causing major counterclockwise winds and swells as we were scheduled to sail clockwise into the teeth of it.  Our captain cancelled the call on Heimaey [which wouldn't have happened anyway in that weather] and reversed course to sail counterclockwise around the north back to Reykjavik.  No credit for port charges – and no complaints from the passengers who understood exactly what the captain spared us from.

• Like 1

Milepig happy people understood on your trip. We got back from a fjord trip with a Norwegian company just recently, going with full knowledge of miserable weather and seas we truly lucked out warmer weather we were told than the summer above the Arctic Circle.! Great for us bad for the planet.  I have been in miserable seas simultaneously with horrid weather not fun  but what can you do? We can’t seem to stay away from the water for  that reason we love the Surf and tend to stay in the Caribbean and the Med. ( one of the first times we were not on the Surf, it was lovely but missed the Surf) Also love Southern Atlantic crossings. Happy Sailing.

15 hours ago, Carolfay said:

I was in a restaurant I frequent often a few weeks ago having lunch, and out of no where a fan blade fell off a ceiling fan.  It crashed down between two people whose backs weren't a foot apart.  No one was hit let alone hurt.  My point is that it can happen anywhere.

Cruising can be a crapshoot, especially if you are traveling in areas with typically rough seas or unpredictable weather. Look at the people who complain about river cruises. I don't understand cruising to cold climates, but I like warm weather LOL. Still, you pays your money and you takes your chances. 😉

We’ve had ports missed due to weather, ports missed due to medical evacuations of a passenger and one sailing came back early for a passenger that needed medical care. Both instances a captain cannot predict and needs to exercise care. These experiences occurred on two other cruise lines and we were refunded port fees as most (if not all) cruise lines will typically do. If you want compensation for missed ports, take out a travel insurance policy for cruise travel that includes claims for missed ports. Nationwide has that option that pays up to $100.

Edited by minidonuts85

As said in my original post, I have no problem with the captain's decision--- he did what was best for the ship and his passengers and was fantastic in keeping us informed  every step of the way. The crew was also great (in fact, the best thing about the trip was the the crew--- always helpful, friendly , and professional). My problem was with Windstar's reaction to my complaint--I have not been on many cruises -- I just purchased a product and expected an adjustment for what was not delivered. Only a consumer. seeking redress.

3 hours ago, O2B@Cagain said:

buchbim: You should go back and read your contract to see what was really promised or not...

It's not just the contract.  It's simple, basic logical thinking.  Why should Windstar be held responsible for weather-caused issues?  Makes no sense.

19 hours ago, Chipshot from Michigan said:

Antarctica, anyone?  Of course it's the only place Windstar doesn't sail.  That ice rating thing, I suppose.

This!

One of the reasons we're taking a 35 day Antarctica cruise that starts in BA and ends in NZ is to pretty well guarantee that we'll have our feet on the ice at least a couple of times.  I can't imagine the disappointment of sailing the Drake and never stepping on the ice.  

• Like 1

That's an epic cruise, and I'm almost envious.  On which line?

We did a peninsula visit with Lindblad in December 2013.  Stepping on the ice (a totally different experience than doing so in Michigan!) is fairly likely at that time of year, and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

I do wonder whether Windstar will pursue that market.  They're already in Alaska, so providing their clientele with the "southern exposure" may make sense.

18 minutes ago, Strenz said:

Ducklite, Visit us on Cape Cod, snow, ice all you  want Dec.-March. . Simply kidding of course. We go where we are guaranteed sun and heat. Have a great trip, throw a snowball! Happy Sailing

I grew up in Saratoga Springs and then lived in Syracuse  Trust me, I know snow. 😨