Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ams cruiser

Any New Yorkers out there? a ferry ticketing question!

Recommended Posts

I posted this under “east coast departures” a few days ago, but haven’t had any responses, so thought I’d try here.

 

We’re planning on taking the Brooklyn Ferry to Wall St. Monday morning, and were advised to buy tickets through the app to avoid standing in line.

 

Can I buy tickets for 4 people on my app, or does each person have to buy his own?  Do you just show the electronic ticket to a ticket agent on board, or do you have to scan it somewhere (4 times?) when you board?

 

I appreciate any insight/information!  (We’ll be at sea shortly, so I’m hoping we have a decent internet connection.)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, you can buy as many tickets for as many people as you like. Using the app will save you lots of time, as there's only one ticket vending machine at the Red Hook stop.

You show it as you board...the crew is polite and helpful.

Also, look at the schedule on the app...the ferry is more frequent earlier in the morning. There will be long waits in between ferries after the morning rush hour.

Edited by CineGraphic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Yes, you can buy as many tickets for as many people as you like. Using the app will save you lots of time, as there's only one ticket vending machine at the Red Hook stop.

You show it as you board...the crew is polite and helpful.

Also, look at the schedule on the app...the ferry is more frequent earlier in the morning. There will be long waits in between ferries after the morning rush hour.

Thank you so much!  I think we’ll be disembarking at around 10:00, which is still considered rush hour in the SF Bay Area!

 

I’ll check the app for the schedule.

Edited by ams cruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is very helpful!  These are the kind of directions I could have used in some of the ports this week! 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ams cruiser

     I would.check the ferry schedule.if you plan on disembarking the ship at 10 am. 

NYC is not SF. You may have a bit of a wait after 10:00. 

      

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2019 at 11:51 PM, MJSailors said:

ams cruiser

     I would.check the ferry schedule.if you plan on disembarking the ship at 10 am. 

NYC is not SF. You may have a bit of a wait after 10:00. 

      

 

Thanks for the suggestion!  I have a screenshot of today’s schedule saved on my phone.  We’re just waiting for our turn to disembark, and hoping that finding our luggage and customs goes smoothly.  

 

Just wondering if if they have Global Entry at the Brooklyn Terminal, or if that is just for airports.  We’ll find out in another 90 minutes, or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what is the name of the app to download to my iPhone?  Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"NYC Ferry" App - iOS and Android.  Please read some of the comments about App issues & check the schedule (i.e. weekend - South Brooklyn, stopping at Red Hook)  It's known to crash & freeze sometimes ... just as easy to buy them on the spot at the terminal's ticketing kiosk.  

 

 

 

 

Screenshot_20191016-211836[1].png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mking8288 said:

"NYC Ferry" App - iOS and Android.  Please read some of the comments about App issues & check the schedule (i.e. weekend - South Brooklyn, stopping at Red Hook)  It's known to crash & freeze sometimes ... just as easy to buy them on the spot at the terminal's ticketing kiosk.  

 

 

 

 

Screenshot_20191016-211836[1].png

Thanks, everyone.  Purchasing tickets on the app, and the ferry ride were as easy as could be.   We were so happy to be able to bypass the crowds, and take the short walk to the ferry dock, which came a few minutes later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to mking8288,  I downloaded the app to my iPhone.  Hey ams cruiser;  I see above you had great time with the ferry app.  So did you do wall street to red hook?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...