Deck Chair Saving

bryanem

12 minutes ago, BND said:

We've seen it enforced on several ships and especially in the last few years, but the point is, it doesn't matter what any of us "think".  Your opinion is it's "silly" so you don't follow rules you think are silly in your everyday life?  Everyone will have a different opinion on how it should be done if there were no rule.  It's a 30 min rule and whether they enforce it or not, why is it okay for some to ignore it?   It's gotten worse, because honestly, the entitlement mentality I've seen is ridiculous.  No rule means I can go put towels on 15 chairs and come out later and sit in one and you cant do a thing about it.  Regardless of what people post on here because what you see is complaints, most do follow the rules.   Those that don't follow the rule tend to be very belligerent and think no rule ever applies to them, especially if they "think" it's "silly".

And I would say that most don’t follow the 30 min rule as I see lots of people in the pools or hot tubs for longer than 30 min and they come back to their chair, are in and out for the rest of the day.  I don’t think it’s a “sense of entitlement” but the fact that they are on vacation and that’s what people on vacation do.   There is a difference between putting towels on 15 chairs to hold for later  (that’s a sense of entitlement)  and using a chair while you are at the pool for a few hours. You shouldn’t have to watch the clock to make sure your butt is in the chair by 30 min.

My husband would tell you that I am never belligerent and the biggest rule follower ever to the point that it drives him crazy.🙂.  I think it’s silly because Royal has set up a rule that is unenforceable.  I think if you are at the pool, you should be able to have a chair. 

60 cruises and the only time I have seen this even closed to being enforced was on a Celebrity cruise.  Never on a Royal.

Sherri🙂

1 hour ago, Bearsfan82 said:

We were on adventure in May and much to our surprise, the attendants in the solarium were hyper vigilant about chair hogs on sailing days. 30 minutes on the dot, stuff was removed. Really put the cherry on top of that wonderful cruise

In the solarium on Allure there are cushioned chairs and love seats.  Two of the love seats had people sleeping on them all afternoon. While their backpacks took up space on the chair next to them So they were taking up seating for 5.    All seats were occupied   A different example of chair hogs.  

The worst I've seen (and I'm not a student of this) was a lady with an elderly father who would "towel" a love seat in the sun, two loungers in the shade, and a table for 4 in the shade.  Our group sat at their table and a word was never said.  These went on for all 7 days!

6 hours ago, Nutsok said:

Ok, it’s not just chapstick. Its phones, tablets, towels , shirts, cover up, flip flops, oils, the normal crap you bring to a pool. And I’m not simply just throwing it down on two chair and then jumping in the pool to never return. I might be using the chair, get hot, go into the pool, have a few drinks and strike up conversations with people. So maybe an hour in the pool, 2, even 3?  At what point shall I remove all my belongings From a chair and put them poolside?

After 30 minutes.  See post #3.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

60 cruises and the only time I have seen this even closed to being enforced was on a Celebrity cruise.  Never on a Royal.

The chair hogging was the worst I've ever seen on Reflection over New Years.  Only time I've ever seen anyone enforce is in the solarium on Royal.

51 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

Sherri🙂

We've seen it on Anthem, Oasis, Grandeur and probably more, but it's hard to remember after almost 30 cruises.    Crew members walking around with stickies and monitoring chairs and removing items after 30+ minutes of non-use.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BND said:

We've seen it on Anthem, Oasis, Grandeur and probably more, but it's hard to remember after almost 30 cruises.    Crew members walking around with stickies and monitoring chairs and removing items after 30+ minutes of non-use.

I’ve never seen  crew members policing chairs on any Royal ship but we’ve only been on 54 Royal cruises.😂.  I will keep an eye out on Serenade next month.

Sherri🙂

23 hours ago, matj2000 said:

I highly doubt you are not going to take one of the 3 chairs from the person who is sitting there watching them......

If no one is sitting there after 30 min., I go get a crew member.  They will remove the belongings, I sit down.  They made that the policy, I politely suggest they enforce it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/13/2019 at 8:04 AM, sjb317 said:

Chair hogs were alive and well on Harmony. My favorite was the couple who had  8x10 laminated pictures of themselves clipped to the top of their chairs. 😂😂😂

It was also rampant at the ice show and theater.

Sherri🙂

Good grief. TACKY. It would be fun to steal their pics and replace with 8x10s of a pair of jackasses.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, sjb317 said:

I’ve never seen  crew members policing chairs on any Royal ship but we’ve only been on 54 Royal cruises.😂.  I will keep an eye out on Serenade next month.

Sherri🙂

On the Harmony in April they were using the stickers for “30 minute warnings” and then removing items from chairs. It was the only time I’ve seen it done. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, thrifty99 said:

On the Harmony in April they were using the stickers for “30 minute warnings” and then removing items from chairs. It was the only time I’ve seen it done. 

Harmony around 10 am

20191014_232339.thumb.jpg.8c7c97d4b0efc644799f52b9dd9a9b81.jpg

20191014_232319.thumb.jpg.77e929d20679720a86b98245fbf0e228.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Samanthac25 said:

This is a beautiful sight. I can only hope we get so lucky on our next two RCI cruises that are booked (Spring break 2020 and Christmas 2020). 

It was a port day, however 

This one is a sea day on Oasis

20191014_231814.thumb.jpg.385c34a9f5c9a838003afa318c7ffba6.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa

18 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

The 3 of us go to the pool to use the pool.  Haven't saved a chair and come back hours later ever though.  You can all have my chair if Royal would provide more cubbies or lockers to put my stuff in while in the pool.  

Yeah, I mostly use a chair to hold my stuff while I swim. I sit a little. But there is no where else to put anything. I always take everything if I leave the pools, though. Usually also only take one for my family of three unless I plan on sitting a lot.

I think it is funny all the people complaining about people using pool chairs while using the pool. If you are just there for the sun there are plenty of loungers around. The real issue are the people that lay out a towel on 4 chairs then vanish for hours. 

Edited by OSUZorba
  • Like 1

I think it's fine to grab a chair to put your belongings on, and then go use the pool.  If you and those in your party don't intend to sit in it however, why would you need multiple chairs just to store your stuff?  Just take up one - unless you have a truck load of Chapstick...

I've seen the "sticker method" employed on NCL and RCI.  People peel them off.  I always find it interesting how many people are willing to lie in order to save the chair hogs around them, who are strangers..."They just left to get some food.  They're coming right back!"  Meanwhile they haven't been seen in hours.

On the last sea day of our Oasis cruise, security was on the pool deck in full force because multiple people were getting into verbal scuffles over chairs (likely due to lack of sleep from having to get up at 5:30 am to save the chairs!)

Solving the problem is not rocket science.  The cruise lines just choose not to address it.  Each passenger should be allowed to save one chair in addition to the one they are sitting in.  They could latch simple (tamper-proof) timers onto each "saved" chair, with a given time limit.  Once it expires, the chair is free for anyone to use.

9 hours ago, TinkBellaMom said:

If no one is sitting there after 30 min., I go get a crew member.  They will remove the belongings, I sit down.  They made that the policy, I politely suggest they enforce it.

Trust Me.    That scenario, as simple and silly as it is,   will never happen....

7 hours ago, Samanthac25 said:

This is a beautiful sight. I can only hope we get so lucky on our next two RCI cruises that are booked (Spring break 2020 and Christmas 2020). 

I would keep your expectations low... worst times I see chair hogs is during school break cruises. 

2 hours ago, momofmab said:

I think it's fine to grab a chair to put your belongings on, and then go use the pool.  If you and those in your party don't intend to sit in it however, why would you need multiple chairs just to store your stuff?  Just take up one - unless you have a truck load of Chapstick...

I've seen the "sticker method" employed on NCL and RCI.  People peel them off.  I always find it interesting how many people are willing to lie in order to save the chair hogs around them, who are strangers..."They just left to get some food.  They're coming right back!"  Meanwhile they haven't been seen in hours.

On the last sea day of our Oasis cruise, security was on the pool deck in full force because multiple people were getting into verbal scuffles over chairs (likely due to lack of sleep from having to get up at 5:30 am to save the chairs!)

Solving the problem is not rocket science.  The cruise lines just choose not to address it.  Each passenger should be allowed to save one chair in addition to the one they are sitting in.  They could latch simple (tamper-proof) timers onto each "saved" chair, with a given time limit.  Once it expires, the chair is free for anyone to use.

Yeah, we won't lie for anyone.  When asked, we say we haven't seen anyone in the seat in xx minutes or hours.  We've answered both crew and guests.  Not my job to help anyone get away with anything.

As for the stickers, we've seen them mostly in the solarium.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Trust Me.    That scenario, as simple and silly as it is,   will never happen....

As simple and silly as it may seem to you, it has worked for us.  We walked around with our 90 years old parents looking for a spot for them to sit and read.  I found a crew member to help, and they took care of it.

20 hours ago, sjb317 said:

Sherri🙂

I have seen it enforced quite a few times on Royal actually. They walk around with little post it notes and mark chairs. If the sticker is still there when they come back, I've seen them remove the items and take them to the towel stations.

19 hours ago, sjb317 said:

Sherri🙂

We haven't been on as many Royal as you have, but as mentioned above, we have seen it several times...on several different Royal ships (Freedom, Oasis, Harmony, Independence, etc). 

On 10/14/2019 at 11:04 AM, sjb317 said:
On 10/14/2019 at 10:04 AM, Nutsok said:

Ok, it’s not just chapstick. Its phones, tablets, towels , shirts, cover up, flip flops, oils, the normal crap you bring to a pool. And I’m not simply just throwing it down on two chair and then jumping in the pool to never return. I might be using the chair, get hot, go into the pool, have a few drinks and strike up conversations with people. So maybe an hour in the pool, 2, even 3?  At what point shall I remove all my belongings From a chair and put them poolside?

IMO, I don’t think you are hogging a chair.  You are using a chair at the pool and using the pool and I am willing to bet that most of the people using the pool are doing the same thing.  I’ve never seen piles of stuff laying along the pool and I don’t think anyone is timing how long you are in the pool.

My definition of a chair hog is the people who place their stuff on a chair, leave the pool area, to do other things, then come back 1, 2, 3 hours or more later expecting to have a chair.   And that’s part of the problem, we all have different ideas of what a chair hog is. 

And I think that if you know someone is not really using their chair, you should ask a pool attendant to remove their things. You should never take them and throw them in the trash, that is not your right.

Sherri🙂

This!!!  100% agree.  If you are using the pool / hot tub,  you not "hogging" the chair.   I think that it a common sense rule. Sometimes it can take 20 minutes just to get a drink at the pool bar & hit the restroom. Should I be worried  that I will lose my seat if I stop to talk to someone on the way back?

22 hours ago, sjb317 said:
On 10/14/2019 at 11:30 AM, BND said:

Royal's definition is no butt in seat for 30 min.

Which in most cases they choose not to enforce.  And it seems to me that is a silly “rule” when there is no place to put your stuff and no way to police the time people spend in the pool. 

So, if I stay in the pool for 29 min, get out, sit in my chair for 2 or 3 min, then I can “legally” get back in the pool for another 29min?😂

I've gone back to post #3 and I do not see the phrase "butt must be in chair", it just says "unattended". So you don't even need to sit in the chair for 2-3 minutes. Just walk by, maybe touch it with your foot or pick up the towel and put it back down, and your good to go back to the pool! 👍