Cruise Critic Community
singinalot

I’m back!! My Jewel of the Seas Greek Isles Travel Blog Round 2

Remember how I mentioned we upgraded for our long haul to more foot room? Well it was totally worth the upgrade AND I ended up having no one in the seat to the right of me!
all of us around each other were just chatting and laughing and happy to be aboard the plane...everyone was talking about the arrest and knowing something was going on because of the cops hanging out at our gate the whole time.
someone joked the empty seat next to me must have been Sal’s.
I paid $19 for on flight wifi so I could watch for communication from the shuttle service...it ended up being a waste of money. a)it barely worked b) i never got a response
want to know the perfect cure for turbulence? wine!!!
0629c52c7382ee614283cbd96325c0ef.jpg

dd49aaad64f83b490b1bdc3ef44f79c4.jpg20431e8f2555f0729c9591b42491d2cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great Review so far.  Have to ask if you ever considered cross packing.  After losing one of our suitcases years ago, we always cross pack. 

great Review so far.  Have to ask if you ever considered cross packing.  After losing one of our suitcases years ago, we always cross pack. 

i haven’t but that’s actually a great idea! might have to try that for our January trip

following!  Great review so far.  You may have convinced me to try the packing cubes

Just watched your video... I've been using packing cubes for over a decade.  I even use them for short weekend trips!  They make cross packing super easy... I split up all of our shirts/bottoms/underwear/shoes into 2 piles for each of us, then we each use our own packing cubes so each of our 2 checked bags has half my stuff and half DH's stuff.  We put our toiletries in separate suitcases so if one bag gets lost, at least we can share the toiletries from the other bag (...until we can find a drug store to buy replacements! haha).  We are lucky that we have never lost a bag, but I'll always cross pack just in case! 🙂

11 hours ago, singinalot said:

A guy came up and chatted with us in line, named Sal...we were taking about how we’re going to Positano...
as we’re getting onto the plane border patrol is in the tunnel checking passports again....well guess what? they arrested Sal right behind us!!!

Glad border patrol didn’t think you were “associates” of Sal’s! That would have really gotten your trip off to a rough start!

Thanks for the link to the Go Pro you bought. I’ll be interested to hear how you like it. Ivy been thinking about getting one for a while, and now my old favorite Olympus is acting like it may be on it’s last legs. 

Just watched your video... I've been using packing cubes for over a decade.  I even use them for short weekend trips!  They make cross packing super easy... I split up all of our shirts/bottoms/underwear/shoes into 2 piles for each of us, then we each use our own packing cubes so each of our 2 checked bags has half my stuff and half DH's stuff.  We put our toiletries in separate suitcases so if one bag gets lost, at least we can share the toiletries from the other bag (...until we can find a drug store to buy replacements! haha).  We are lucky that we have never lost a bag, but I'll always cross pack just in case!

such a great idea!

Glad border patrol didn’t think you were “associates” of Sal’s! That would have really gotten your trip off to a rough start!

Thanks for the link to the Go Pro you bought. I’ll be interested to hear how you like it. Ivy been thinking about getting one for a while, and now my old favorite Olympus is acting like it may be on it’s last legs. 

haha that totally occurred to me as we were walking on the plane...like: oh no,guilty by brief association.

I’ve got half my gopro videos onto the laptop just need to upload the rest

Maybe Sal was another associate of Rudy Giulani traveling to the Ukraine on a one way ticket....

We got through passport control at FCO relatively quickly and straight to baggage claim. I still hadn't received confirmation from Marco so sent him a quick what’s app and he responded the driver was 10 minutes out. I truly think it’s just a communication/customer service difference between what we’re accustomed to and how they do things in Italy. Our driver showed up and we made the trek to the mercedes van. Antonio, our driver, has been a driver for 25 years. “many many kilometers” he said. It rained really hard while on way to hotel and we couldn’t really enjoy the sites but oddly it stopped when we got there around 12:30.
fa758b694ba3f3f2879e06dc93bc6413.jpg

In November 2018 I reserved our room at Hotel Navona for 201euros prepaid. Over the course of the next several months I regretted my hastiness and wished I had booked us at Palazzo Navona Hotel instead but the rate I booked was non refundable if I cancelled. The reviews for Hotel Navona were mixed and it started to give me panic but in the end I am happy I stuck it out. I would not recommend this hotel for anyone with mobility issues though.

Our room wasn’t ready so we left our bags and went in search of a restaurant recommended by a friend of ours. On the way to the restaurant we stopped for a snack tho. We were both still wearing our jeans and the humidity from the rain started to kick in...yuck. Let’s not even talk about my hair.

the hotel:
466320dec81fdc2634de941ced33de29.jpg4bb3026a193619b4bbdb051e1f6177bf.jpg
the reception desk is located on the 2nd floor of the building:
4e9c7f635a3df9056cfa4b0b78696dbd.jpg

Edited by singinalot

The pizza snack was ok...the pesto is what I got and I wasn’t feeling too well from going straight from the plane, to the fast car, to walking. I didn’t finish my piece but Nate loved his!
We continued walking to the suggested lunch spot.
f291acd4cbc90a08c373499512da6abc.jpg

fbc1e294abaf8e14dab9381b9285a2b4.jpg

6698dcfe6e90dfba74fd08a967dabe31.jpg

The restaurant our friend recommended, Brassai, was right by Castel San Angelo

788f8baa632d83660957f53769953bd3.jpg

6a77f0498f148d9032af27e1f9d45802.jpg

44fed022d3f934eb7110074de588934d.jpg

Nate ate about half his pizza and I mainly ate my mozzarella and some bread with oil and vinegar. The service was great and we people watched as we ate.

Edited by singinalot

following - we are going to the Greek Isles next fall and I know nothing!  Thank you for all of your details

following - we are going to the Greek Isles next fall and I know nothing!  Thank you for all of your details

happy to help answer any questions you have along the way

One of our to-dos for the day was the castle but after eating we were both so hot from the humidity that we went back to the hotel and changed into shorts and checked into our room. After the quick change we headed back out towards the castle. Off on our adventure we go!
ba0fe57ab604a55c0f30ba70137054ff.jpg

2392e457a97fe77524406bdabba5e021.jpg

The humidity was real y’all. my face melted off and my hair quickly frizzed. Living in Colorado I forget humidity sometimes.

We paid the entry fee for the castle and in we went. FYI there is a restroom (WC) directly inside the entrance.
dc19c3cd9a2abffa1b9bbfce89f3189d.jpg

07d2bcc7177ea31f7f8510fa71718cb2.jpg

305bcfe190447aaa661ff63563cd7f05.jpg

6a4416b28e0722aa85226526ad382d56.jpg

We got a kick out of Nate trying to fit in this “tiny” guard building.
2d15751d55c9f6865548928f3ac0818e.jpg

The history you feel when you step inside the castle grounds is riveting. We were both enthralled and were so glad we decided to visit.  I had read mixed reviews on it last year and hadn't put it on the priority list at the time.

I took this small excerpt from the wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castel_Sant'Angelo

The popes converted the structure into a castle, beginning in the 14th century; Pope Nicholas III connected the castle to St Peter's Basilica by a covered fortified corridor called the Passetto di Borgo. The fortress was the refuge of Pope Clement VII from the siege of Charles V's Landsknechte during the Sack of Rome (1527), in which Benvenuto Cellini describes strolling the ramparts and shooting enemy soldiers.

Leo X built a chapel with a Madonna by Raffaello da Montelupo. In 1536 Montelupo also created a marble statue of Saint Michael holding his sword after the 590 plague (as described above) to surmount the Castel.[6] Later Paul III built a rich apartment, to ensure that in any future siege the pope had an appropriate place to stay.

Montelupo's statue was replaced by a bronze statue of the same subject, executed by the Flemish sculptor Peter Anton von Verschaffelt, in 1753. Verschaffelt's is still in place and Montelupo's can be seen in an open court in the interior of the Castle.

The Papal state also used Sant'Angelo as a prison; Giordano Bruno, for example, was imprisoned there for six years. Another prisoner was the sculptor and goldsmith Benvenuto Cellini. Executions were performed in the small inner courtyard. As a prison, it was also the setting for the third act of Giacomo Puccini's 1900 opera Tosca; the eponymous heroine leaps to her death from the Castel's ramparts.

24 minutes ago, singinalot said:

The humidity was real y’all. my face melted off and my hair quickly frizzed. Living in Colorado I forget humidity sometimes.

I thought Rome was the hottest, most humid stop of our entire trip (in June). And that's coming from a Floridian, lol! Really enjoying your trip report and pictures. Thanks for doing this!

And here I was almost talking myself out of the Greek Isles cruise (from Rome) next year. So glad I came upon your review. Awesome so far..

#bookingsoon

Thank you!

42 minutes ago, aring75 said:

I thought Rome was the hottest, most humid stop of our entire trip (in June). And that's coming from a Floridian, lol! Really enjoying your trip report and pictures. Thanks for doing this!

right?  Good news is the weather the rest of the trip was perfect! 

33 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Following.    I enjoyed your last review as as Rowse's recent review.

Thank you so much!

7 minutes ago, coolnrj said:

And here I was almost talking myself out of the Greek Isles cruise (from Rome) next year. So glad I came upon your review. Awesome so far..

#bookingsoon

Thank you!

oh no no no...YOU MUST GO! Stay tuned.