Cruise Critic Community
singinalot

I’m back!! My Jewel of the Seas Greek Isles Travel Blog Round 2

I regret I didn't have the opportunity to meet you on the cruise.  Your pictures are really fantastic - and are much, much better than mine.  (I apparently need a new camera, since DS kept pointing out that  IPhone pictures were much better than my point-and-shoot Canon.)  I'm definitely following your blog!  Thank you for posting :classic_rolleyes:

haha maybe a Christmas idea “hint” for him???? hopefully we’ll sail together again someday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I am definitely playing catch up...missed the beginning of this review but happy I'm here now.  I actually found the link on Jim_Iaian's review over on the Celebrity board!

I read your review last year and took notes.  Our family & friends (group of 12) cruise completed this same itinerary on Jewel this summer...yes, it was wet & steamy in Rome (think about a five-hour bike ride on the Appian Way in the pouring rain...but it was an adventure).  As fun as it was to read about your adventures before we travelled, I am thrilled to be reading it now.  It's so fun to see pictures of where you have just travelled.  

We also visited the shop beneath the windmills in Mykonos.  The shopkeeper was great...picked us out as Chicago residents from our accent (what accent???).  He is born & bred in Mykonos, but spent time living just about 30 minutes from me when he was younger!  Anyway, those are the kind of things that you remember for a long time.  And since I left my Hydroflask in his shop, I was thrilled he remembered me (and my accent) when I went back to retrieve it.

Can't wait to read the rest...

Susan

Well, I am definitely playing catch up...missed the beginning of this review but happy I'm here now.  I actually found the link on Jim_Iaian's review over on the Celebrity board!

I read your review last year and took notes.  Our family & friends (group of 12) cruise completed this same itinerary on Jewel this summer...yes, it was wet & steamy in Rome (think about a five-hour bike ride on the Appian Way in the pouring rain...but it was an adventure).  As fun as it was to read about your adventures before we travelled, I am thrilled to be reading it now.  It's so fun to see pictures of where you have just travelled.  
We also visited the shop beneath the windmills in Mykonos.  The shopkeeper was great...picked us out as Chicago residents from our accent (what accent???).  He is born & bred in Mykonos, but spent time living just about 30 minutes from me when he was younger!  Anyway, those are the kind of things that you remember for a long time.  And since I left my Hydroflask in his shop, I was thrilled he remembered me (and my accent) when I went back to retrieve it.
Can't wait to read the rest...
Susan

yesss exactly...the speaking with the locals and shopkeepers was one of the highlights for me.
And how good of him to have your hydro flask! those things ain’t cheap and are so good!
Glad you found my review and hope you enjoy reading along. Still have Athens, Naples and more Rome to post.

BTW, you mention bathroom "challenges".  I was prepared for no t.p. flushing in Greece...pleasantly surprised that there were no odors due to the "used" toilet paper bins that were provided.  What I couldn't get used to was the lack of a toilet seat!  I swear I am going to figure out how to market that to all the restaurants and shopkeepers...I'll make a fortune (so that I can cruise more often).  So glad that when I was younger my grandmother insisted that I line every toilet seat with toilet paper!!!

BTW, you mention bathroom "challenges".  I was prepared for no t.p. flushing in Greece...pleasantly surprised that there were no odors due to the "used" toilet paper bins that were provided.  What I couldn't get used to was the lack of a toilet seat!  I swear I am going to figure out how to market that to all the restaurants and shopkeepers...I'll make a fortune (so that I can cruise more often).  So glad that when I was younger my grandmother insisted that I line every toilet seat with toilet paper!!!

right???? the no seat was really a challenge.... I squatted more often than not and yeah the toilet paper bins definitely surprised me about no odors too

Finally caught up and following along. We did those islands quite a few years ago and was supposed to go back in Sept, but my hip gave out and I had to have it replaced, AGAIN, so all the walking wouldn't have worked. 

Finally caught up and following along. We did those islands quite a few years ago and was supposed to go back in Sept, but my hip gave out and I had to have it replaced, AGAIN, so all the walking wouldn't have worked. 

oh I’m so bummed for you!! I hope you are recovering well.

The following day was Athens. Bet you can’t guess what our plan was for the day!

Yep, we got up with the birds again.

8a569f6db2d2db21f206568898d828e3.jpg

8b1ceb8736d8c680540fca2b88528f69.jpg

I can’t even tell you how amazing this day was...Remember how getting off the ship early in Mykonos & Rhodes worked out so well for us? Stay tuned!

Remember last year when we paid 55euros for our taxi? Yeah as a I researched this I realized we got scammed. LOL. Every person I read said they only paid 35 for theirs. So I was ready to put up a fight as we walked out to the drivers. Nate just lets me stand back and do my thing when it comes to these situations (like getting the taxi in Santorini).

Well no argument needed because the rate we were given was 35. I was relieved.

In the taxi driving through Piraeus:
3d2db1686ec4b21504cbbe650ddd5a58.jpg

c0156ac93c39d396c9ec12d8b5457ddf.jpg

We got to the Acropolis quickly though he dropped us at a different entrance than I remembered. After a short scramble to find the ticket counter we were in!

Oh my gosh y’all!!!! We got there at the PERFECT time....We walked in just as the changing of the guard began and I already had my camera going so got it all on film.

We did buy the 30 euro a piece tickets again and I wish we hadn’t because we ended up doing different things this time. So that’s 20 euros we could have used on something else. Oh well....the things we know now.

f01d3a279a2ed44422823c4580c3ad75.jpg

ff01b71b93d4f99945ec2ffd630e7a3a.jpg

5e8f0c2dab2518eeb55185415742cb1b.jpg

3a6b98175d65f30877ddefb4a6e10387.jpg

that golden lighting again
9235edc0c45f4cb1d81acc740192249e.jpg

8d209c45217d137a52cb2314715822ab.jpg

We came close to being arrested at the Parthenon...four people holding a "W" flag for a picture (fyi, that's the flag that all Cub fans travel with...photo ops everywhere).  We figure the guards who approached us must have been St. Louis Cardinal fans...…..

We came close to being arrested at the Parthenon...four people holding a "W" flag for a picture (fyi, that's the flag that all Cub fans travel with...photo ops everywhere).  We figure the guards who approached us must have been St. Louis Cardinal fans...…..

oh my gosh!!! I wonder what the W means to them
What a story and memory y’all now have.

3 minutes ago, singinalot said:

oh my gosh!!! I wonder what the W means to them emoji848.pngemoji848.pngemoji848.png
What a story and memory y’all now have.

We thought they figured it was some sort of political statement...my cousin's husband stood there trying to explain American baseball to a guard who didn't appear to speak any English!

175906f47ccd060d26e72f3321519e96.jpg

The Parthenon & Temple of Athena
63d6d8a83841836948cd5261284dae20.jpg

there were steps behind Temple of Athena that led to this view of it:
ac4748bf2fc285060cec76858ccce5fc.jpg

and now the tourist groups are flooding in...time for us to go
1ddc94817b10578405b47edee4871620.jpg

we left the area around the Acropolis and wandered around.

d6f1b64c8401fcb7e7ae64f40bb47e7f.jpg

The Roman Agora:
22b7f480454566984793053f5e0f94ce.jpg

We went in last year and didn’t feel the need to go in this year (though our Acropolis tickets would have gotten us in)
ed4a58b77f61b0ba35418b7d500f4af7.jpg

f0be4adc6d6604807aaa3ae96a711af4.jpg

1b061b3f6241f9afc5fdf60e7cec9cfc.jpg

Nate bought himself a military type pack for some of the things he does at home
d80b54a886ea07e8b180c590560b8ea4.jpg

36 minutes ago, singinalot said:

b48d55d4eb575bb6bd957684d1124d6f.jpg

Priceless! Barely anyone there. 110 million % correct... Med itineraries the early bird almost always gets the worm hands down.

Singinalot , this review is a master class on "How To" for DIY days, preparation, just a little bit of homework and simply making the very best of getting out there 😊

Edited by Hoopster95

Loving your cruise review. We did the same route on Jewel mid September and feel like we are back on the trip with your pictures and commentary. 

By the way, the soldiers at the Acropolis were not a “changing of the guards”.  They are the Color Guard who moments earlier raised the National flag at the top.  Watching them march down in a precision line, eyes straight ahead, never looking at their footing while navigating uneven terrain and steps we ourselves had trouble not tripping on while looking down with ever step was an incredible show. Only those who get to the Acropolis at opening get to witness it. 

Priceless! Barely anyone there. 110 million % correct... Med itineraries the early bird almost always gets the worm hands down.

Singinalot , this review is a master class on "How To" for DIY days, preparation, just a little bit of homework and simply making the very best of getting out there 

Thanks so much Claudio! My hope is that it makes DIY much less intimidating. We love it!

Loving your cruise review. We did the same route on Jewel mid September and feel like we are back on the trip with your pictures and commentary. 

By the way, the soldiers at the Acropolis were not a “changing of the guards”.  They are the Color Guard who moments earlier raised the National flag at the top.  Watching them march down in a precision line, eyes straight ahead, never looking at their footing while navigating uneven terrain and steps we ourselves had trouble not tripping on while looking down with ever step was an incredible show. Only those who get to the Acropolis at opening get to witness it. 

ah thank you! That makes sense :)
and yes no idea how they do it! eek! especially if it’s a morning where the sun is glaring in your eyes or it’s been raining or something

so I’ve spent the past hour on a DIY project I saw on Pinterest for our wedding. I now have perma spray paint all over my hands
ec86a042d613708fcb126694c8753524.jpg

7b8fec37da838003a05c4ec2a4e8b7a8.jpg

More Athens to come

008d88eed3524846214e2e8a3747eb32.jpg

351d82a57d2e58ffc05cf06041f02f7d.jpg

e39de3ff569061e910cef1c0aafe3c4f.jpg

we continued walking. Most stores weren’t open yet...I bet you can’t guess what our goal was...

did you guess food?
ead8869109bbe40168a638d6fd867984.jpg

5bff565b71c08afbcc042afaa41dbd6b.jpg

64953f56c2c9ca36fb49df34ed5884c7.jpg

While Nate ordered his food I went to the little bakery two doors down and got myself a chocolate croissant...turned out to be the best I’d had so far.

432b9b6157aa83983f642976ba4fc402.jpg

so this was a new one for us...the green olive spread...tastes just like it sounds...i’m guessing green olives with olive oil? it was very good if you like olives
00987e082843a3b4b0bd3f9a6dfb577a.jpg

Nate’s meal
15072023a3b65e734b184ef9f3b2c72e.jpg

7fdbf5b14054ceb366e72081e68b9db3.jpg