Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
groundloop

Prepaid Gratuities

Recommended Posts

Out of curiosity I've been looking for information on how prepaid gratuities are split up, and does the entire amount go to the employees or does Carnival keep a cut.  I haven't been able to find much on this, anyone have some insight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, groundloop said:

Out of curiosity I've been looking for information on how prepaid gratuities are split up, and does the entire amount go to the employees or does Carnival keep a cut.


The entire amount goes to the employees. It’s broken up between the different staff member categories (housekeeping, dining, and alternative services).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sassy~one said:

Who are alternative services?

They keep your decks and hallways clean and tidy, ship maintenance, .i.e. HVAC and the staff that has to wash your towels, sheets, etc. to keep you smelling fresh!    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, sassy~one said:

Who are alternative services?

 

16 minutes ago, HillBilly Bob said:

They keep your decks and hallways clean and tidy, ship maintenance, .i.e. HVAC and the staff that has to wash your towels, sheets, etc. to keep you smelling fresh!    

Not maintenance, Guest Laundry yes

Housekeeping that clean the public areas like bathrooms, casino, lobby including pickup glasses and dishes, towel hut, Lido servers-gelato servers, omelette cooks, Deli, pizza, burgers, breakfast cart beverages, cocktail party servers,...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bakersdozen12 said:


The entire amount goes to the employees. It’s broken up between the different staff member categories (housekeeping, dining, and alternative services).

 

That's good.  I've read so many stories about restaurants keeping a portion of credit card tip money.  I'm glad Carnival isn't playing that same game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't remember for the life of me how much are the prepaid gratuities again?  I believe they may have went up a little since I last cruised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember that prepaid and auto-gratuities are the same. We do not prepay but always pay the auto-gratuities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gratuities on Carnival are $12.95 per day for cabins, $13.95 per day for suits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

Remember that prepaid and auto-gratuities are the same. We do not prepay but always pay the auto-gratuities. 

 

Oh yeah, I meant those.  I always pre pay so its all done and its one less thing to worry about :classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chelle621 said:

 

Oh yeah, I meant those.  I always pre pay so its all done and its one less thing to worry about :classic_biggrin:

I agree. We do the same. Just get it out of the way now, so you don't have to worry about it later.

 

Our Prepaids are $13.99 per person per day for our balcony cabin for our 7 day cruise on the Freedom, for my wife and I.

Hope that helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question about prepaid gratuities.

Do they show up when you look at your cruise information online?  Since we were using our credit card points to book our upcoming cruise, we booked through a travel agency.  I went ahead and told them to include the trip insurance/protection plan, and to prepay the gratuities.  Looking at our reservation information I do see the trip insurance protection, but nothing about the prepaid gratuities.

It's not that I don't trust the TA, I just like to verify...….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, DryCreek said:

Quick question about prepaid gratuities.

Do they show up when you look at your cruise information online?  Since we were using our credit card points to book our upcoming cruise, we booked through a travel agency.  I went ahead and told them to include the trip insurance/protection plan, and to prepay the gratuities.  Looking at our reservation information I do see the trip insurance protection, but nothing about the prepaid gratuities.

It's not that I don't trust the TA, I just like to verify...….

Yes, they show up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DryCreek said:

Quick question about prepaid gratuities.

Do they show up when you look at your cruise information online?  Since we were using our credit card points to book our upcoming cruise, we booked through a travel agency.  I went ahead and told them to include the trip insurance/protection plan, and to prepay the gratuities.  Looking at our reservation information I do see the trip insurance protection, but nothing about the prepaid gratuities.

It's not that I don't trust the TA, I just like to verify...….

I did not find on my TA's website under my booking number, where I could add the prepaid gratuities either, and that's something I want to do!  I DID find the place to pre-pay them on the Carnival website, however. You have to log into the Carnival website, choose the tab at the top of the page titled "manage my bookings. Then go to "Booking & Order Details". Scroll down and you will find a tab you can click on titled: "Pre-Pay Your Gratuities Before You Sail." Phew. They sure don't make it easy for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They also show in your cruise documents under itemized charges.  Page 2 upper, left-hand side of the page.  Shows your cruise fare, taxes, pre-paid gratuities, and insurance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone!

Yep, after a quick e-mail to my TA the prepaid gratuities magically appeared just below the trip insurance/protection plan.  So, we're good to go now.

The one thing I find funny is that there isn't an actual price shown for anything on the invoice.  It simply shows "As Agreed".  That's kinda funny to me.  I was going through the Carnival booking engine at the exact same time she was and we were comparing pricing as we went along.  I have the numbers from when she quoted both optional items.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 10:19 AM, Chelle621 said:

 

I can't remember for the life of me how much are the prepaid gratuities again?  I believe they may have went up a little since I last cruised.

 

 

23 hours ago, idraconis said:

 

Gratuities on Carnival are $12.95 per day for cabins, $13.95 per day for suits.

 

 

Carnival Gratuities

 

Standard Staterooms: $13.99 per person, per day

Suite Staterooms: $15.99 per person, per day 

 

Carnival gratuities info located @:

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1123/~/service-gratuities-(tips)

 

 

 

☺️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...