Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
richwmn

Noordam - A Passage to New Zealand

Recommended Posts

On 10/16/2019 at 9:41 AM, richwmn said:

A question for everyone.

In the past we have talked about Pre-Paid Gratuities. Everyone seemed to indicate that the gratuities were charged each day, then offset with a credit, thereby showing up as spending for the purpose of bonus Mariner Days.

I have pre-paid gratuities on this cruise, ok I know they were paid as part of the fare. So far the daily entry has been for Marketing Promotional Items with a value of 0. What is the consensus? I think that using this method, I will not get the Bonus days.

 

 

We just got off the Koningsdam and had the prepaid gratuities.  It was very confusing as every night they put a zero charge and called it Explore 4!   Seems like it was just an accounting place holder.  Last bill we had the plus and minuses for HSC that we are familiar with.  I too was concerned that we wouldn’t get mariner credit,  but we most definitely did.   Seems HAL is very fair And generous in this regard.  

 

 

Rich, thanks for the photos. Did the bathroom vanities get replaced?  Just couldn’t tell from the pictures if they are the same pinky beige?  

 

Also I am curious if your menus will be repeated? On our back to back several days were identical.  

Edited by bennybear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2019 at 12:50 PM, kazu said:

 

The front desk has sea sickness tablets but they will make him sleepy.

 

Tell him to get some ginger after dinner (on the way out of the MDR).  It does help.

 

And seriously, green apples and soda crackers can really help.  They are even available on room service.  It took me years to get DH to try a green apple and he confessed it made a HUGE difference.

Agree about the green apples.   I put  some in my fridge as they really help.  

Sadly on the Koningsdam, no ginger available after dinner!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Sadly on the Koningsdam, no ginger available after dinner!  

 

WHAT???  WOW.  That’s beyond amazing.  It’s preposterous IMO.  The one thing HAL always did.  Sheesh. 😞 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Little by little HAL seems to lose what made it HAL.  No yum yum man either!  one night out of 23 they had the display but it had Turkish delight.  I specifically asked because I like the ginger and my DH likes the dates and we were told they don’t do it anymore.   Maybe it’s just the K because it was there on Westerdam  in April.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bennybear said:

Little by little HAL seems to lose what made it HAL.  No yum yum man either!  one night out of 23 they had the display but it had Turkish delight.  I specifically asked because I like the ginger and my DH likes the dates and we were told they don’t do it anymore.   Maybe it’s just the K because it was there on Westerdam  in April.  

 

They were on the Prinsendam on April and May this year too.

 

I guess I had better pack some candied ginger and dates for DH.  Sheesh 😞 

 

I’ll report when we get on the Zuiderdam next year.  

I totally confess that this is a change I wouldn’t are for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Little by little HAL seems to lose what made it HAL.  No yum yum man either!  one night out of 23 they had the display but it had Turkish delight.  I specifically asked because I like the ginger and my DH likes the dates and we were told they don’t do it anymore.   Maybe it’s just the K because it was there on Westerdam  in April.  

It was there on the Nieuw Statendam in August as well. That said, as much as I love the dates and the mints, my perception changed one evening when the woman in front of me grabbed the little fork sitting in the ginger, speared a piece, put them both into her mouth, then put the fork back in the ginger. I called her on it immediately, but she was rude and unapologetic. But I did inform the Maitre D to replace the fork and the ginger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

richwmn, do you know what the "Exc.port to table" item is on the MDR appetizer and entree menu? Appears to be something special. I am wondering if it is the same thing every night, or changes daily (forgot to look on previous menus you posted). I assume it is NOT the special OC extra item, since those are the menus posted for all diners in the MDR. 

 

I realize you said you aren't eating in the MDR, so maybe one of the other CCers on the cruise will know this. Thanks.🙂

Edited by PSR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BarbarianPaul said:

It was there on the Nieuw Statendam in August as well. That said, as much as I love the dates and the mints, my perception changed one evening when the woman in front of me grabbed the little fork sitting in the ginger, speared a piece, put them both into her mouth, then put the fork back in the ginger. I called her on it immediately, but she was rude and unapologetic. But I did inform the Maitre D to replace the fork and the ginger.


Ewww!

 

that said, my DH will really miss the ginger and mints. Does anyone know if they are on the Noordam now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Entertainment for this evening.

 

On the Main Stage, now called the World Stage. The scheduled performer, Nathan Samuelson, was under the weather so the comedian Tim Kaminski returned for another full hour. Tonight was a full hour of stand up rather than having any audience participation. I really think this performance was much better. He was very good and is approachable.

 

BB King - After the comedian and a round of Majority Rules I stopped by the Blues Club for a few minutes. Both the singers and the backup musicians are very good. The room was packed with the dance floor full. Overflow seating was also full. After three songs they took their break.

 

Two rounds of trivia today, moderately hard with everyone missing a few questions. Later there will be "beach music" but unfortunately I fear her definition of "beach music" and mine are not the same. Oh well, I'll go by and find out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PSR said:

richwmn, do you know what the "Exc.port to table" item is on the MDR appetizer and entree menu? Appears to be something special. I am wondering if it is the same thing every night, or changes daily (forgot to look on previous menus you posted). I assume it is NOT the special OC extra item, since those are the menus posted for all diners in the MDR. 

 

I realize you said you aren't eating in the MDR, so maybe one of the other CCers on the cruise will know this. Thanks.🙂

 

If you expand the menu the item is listed underneath the Exec port to table.

 

The appetizer on the menu just posted is a chicken & date kebab and the main is veal tenderloin.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bennybear said:

 

We just got off the Koningsdam and had the prepaid gratuities.  It was very confusing as every night they put a zero charge and called it Explore 4!   Seems like it was just an accounting place holder.  Last bill we had the plus and minuses for HSC that we are familiar with.  I too was concerned that we wouldn’t get mariner credit,  but we most definitely did.   Seems HAL is very fair And generous in this regard.  

Now that you've mentioned this, we had the exact same scenario on Noordam in July.  Showed 0 and Explore 4 on the online version but the printed version received last day showed the HSC debit and credit.  It did get counted in our spending day credits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rich,

 

I have always been intrigued by Petty Officer 1st Class Communications Technician avatar as I read your posts.  I was also in the Naval Security Group and during my active service was CTM1.  My wife and I are on board Noordam enjoying our third cruise from Vancouver to Sydney on Holland American.  I also am an avid photograph as you are and have been photographing the ship spaces.  I would like to meet up with you on one of the many sea days an see if we know someone common from our NAVSECGRU days.  Yesterday, I meet a gentleman from the Army Security Agency who is also an avid photographer.

 

When we boarded the one of the first I did was to see if they had move the 3rd deck explorer's lounge to the Crow's Nest and was excited to they kept it though split in half by adding the Microsoft Class space and new furniture in the remaining space.  If you would like to get together let me know when  and where.  Just not during the Dr. Wright's astronomy lectures.  Two years, ago on this same cruise, a retired Astronomy Professor gave astronomy lectures which were equally as good as Dr. Wrights with more emphasis on current discoveries.

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, michael620 said:


Ewww!

 

that said, my DH will really miss the ginger and mints. Does anyone know if they are on the Noordam now?

 

No yum yum man on Deck 2, not sure about Deck 3 but didn’t notice the cart off to the sided during afternoon tea the other day so suspect it’s not there either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, PSR said:

richwmn, do you know what the "Exc.port to table" item is on the MDR appetizer and entree menu? Appears to be something special. I am wondering if it is the same thing every night, or changes daily (forgot to look on previous menus you posted). I assume it is NOT the special OC extra item, since those are the menus posted for all diners in the MDR. 

 

I realize you said you aren't eating in the MDR, so maybe one of the other CCers on the cruise will know this. Thanks.🙂

 

There is an Exc port to table appetizer and an entree and they change daily.  And yes, it is different from the CO entree.

........

Completely unrelated but just noticed this is my 7,000th post. 🥳

Edited by zelker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave_P said:

Rich,

 

I have always been intrigued by Petty Officer 1st Class Communications Technician avatar as I read your posts.  I was also in the Naval Security Group and during my active service was CTM1.  My wife and I are on board Noordam enjoying our third cruise from Vancouver to Sydney on Holland American.  I also am an avid photograph as you are and have been photographing the ship spaces.  I would like to meet up with you on one of the many sea days an see if we know someone common from our NAVSECGRU days.  Yesterday, I meet a gentleman from the Army Security Agency who is also an avid photographer.

 

When we boarded the one of the first I did was to see if they had move the 3rd deck explorer's lounge to the Crow's Nest and was excited to they kept it though split in half by adding the Microsoft Class space and new furniture in the remaining space.  If you would like to get together let me know when  and where.  Just not during the Dr. Wright's astronomy lectures.  Two years, ago on this same cruise, a retired Astronomy Professor gave astronomy lectures which were equally as good as Dr. Wrights with more emphasis on current discoveries.

 

Dave

Please give me a call, cabin 4084, I would like to meet you and the ASA guy.

I was also CTM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Due to a passenger medical emergency, the Captain increased speed to max yesterday afternoon. We will be arriving in Honolulu around noon tomorrow. After staying overnight, we will continue our cruise at 23:00 Sunday night

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope the passenger needing medical attention will be o.k.  I guess the Coast Guard can always do an evac closer to HNL if necessary.  I don't know what the maximum distance is for those CG helicopters.  Hopefully everyone will be happy for the extra time in Honolulu.  Thank you so much for taking us along on this cruise.  Your photos are fabulous and I can't wait for the reports and photos from your exotic ports.  Thank you again,  Cherie

Edited by cccole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cccole said:

I hope the passenger needing medical attention will be o.k.  I guess the Coast Guard can always do an evac closer to HNL if necessary.  I don't know what the maximum distance is for those CG helicopters.  Hopefully everyone will be happy for the extra time in Honolulu.  Thank you so much for taking us along on this cruise.  Your photos are fabulous and I can't wait for the reports and photos from your exotic ports.  Thank you again,  Cherie

The Captain announced that due to the nature of the medical emergency helo transport was not an option, but the passenger was stable and the ship was making best time to get him to the hospital as quickly as possible.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the info.  The passenger will have access to top notch medical facilities in Honolulu.  When you have a chance, if the Captain had not announced the increase in speed would you have noticed?   Because of your background you may be different from most on the ship.  I'm just curious.  The weather must be warming, the sunsets beautiful, and the waters calming down.  Thank you for the sharing your adventure.  Cherie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
They announced late morning that they increased our speed last night to 22 knots which they are now maintaining in order to get the passenger to the hospital as quickly as possible so we’re now going to arrive in Honolulu tomorrow late morning instead of Sunday morning.  The Captain said the person couldn’t be airlifted but we’re still way too far out for a helicopter.  He said they also looked at having a C130 transport fly out to meet us, where they would have dropped, via parachute, equipment and personnel but instead we’re going with this new plan.  Thankfully Honolulu’s Queen Emma Hospital is the best in the Islands and is really close to the port.
 
Yes, it’s noticeably faster than daytime speed.  Yes, much warmer now but no sunsets of note yet due to cloud cover and weather on much of the crossing.  And yes, water calmed way down compared to a few days ago but there are some small white caps currently and more side to side motion sitting here on Deck 7 midship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really appreciate the updates-thank you so much.  Our friends on board don’t purchase internet so hoping they are fine and maybe find wifi in Hawaii to check in.   They are seasoned cruisers on HAL.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...