something you quite enjoy about your cruise vacation...

Out of Iowa

2 hours ago, KrakedMask said:

My favorite is going out on the top deck or the "secret" decks on decks 3-4 at night to just look at the stars and enjoy the darkness! I love looking out at the stars reflecting off the ocean! 

This is a good time and place to take a bottle of wine you bring on board.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:41 AM, zencruisers said:

I love being unplugged from everything. We don't realize how much stress our phones cause until we are out to sea.

DITTO!!! We are on our own schedule, DW has the wi-fi but it's for communication with family, otherwise we just do our own thing. 

There is so much I love about cruising...Spending time together with my grown kids/grandkids...getting dressed up for formal night for family pictures, the food, the ports, the activities. Not having to go to work...and one of my favorite things...the warm temps in the middle of the winter (We live in Maine...and there is usually at lest one  snowstorm while we are gone) We are going to be 10 years between our last cruise and the one we have booked...so really looking forward to every second of it!

• Like 1

Sailaways.  And on our September cruise sailaways from Puerto Rico and 5 foreign ports.  That time of year you get a beautiful island view from the aft & then move to the stern for sunset around 6.  We gladly missed several MDR meals

in order to kick back in a lounger & relax.  I would have slept on deck if the wife let me.

Something I quite enjoy - is just going on a cruise.

We are landlocked, and usually can only afford to go on a cruise about every other year.

Just being there - is a miracle in itself at times!  

I cannot wait to be "swayed" to sleep by the ocean

I cannot wait for the chilled strawberry soup

I cannot wait for a "drink of the day" for each hand

I cannot wait to be unplugged - ironic that in order to charge my battery, I need to be unplugged!

17 days and 21 hours...  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are no cows (we breed & raise about 350 cows and calves).  And I don't get asked all the time by my husband "can you come help".  Oh and I don't have to cook or do any dishes.  But I think my favorite is just looking at the miles and miles and miles of beautiful water!

• Like 2

Being a Mom of 7 - counting our precious foster baby (yes I know I need to change my 

profile name) the best thing for me is only having to worry about our hygiene.....☺️

No cooking, no laundry, no bed making, no cleaning, no hauling kids from here to there, no

practices and/or games to be at, no doctor's appointments, no projects that have to be

turned in....you get the picture.  Oh, and I actually get to eat a hot meal while cruising too -

that's really a nonexistent thing when at home - someone always needs a drink refill or their

meat cut...something.

I'm also a water lover and as many others have said here, I just love the beauty of those

Caribbean oceans that God has given us to enjoy.  Just sitting out on the balcony or

deck and enjoying the tranquility of it all!  

Great topic OP - I've loved reading everyone's answers.

• Like 1

I love fixed dining in the MDR. I love the simplicity of not having to decide when or where to eat - or make reservations or wait in line for a table - just show up at the assigned table and  time and be served, by people who are happy to see me and know what I like after the first night.  I love not having to answer "What are we doing for dinner?" 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, simplelife said:

I love fixed dining in the MDR. I love the simplicity of not having to decide when or where to eat - or make reservations or wait in line for a table - just show up at the assigned table and  time and be served, by people who are happy to see me and know what I like after the first night.  I love not having to answer "What are we doing for dinner?" 

I share your feelings. Walking into the MDR and be seated immediately. And see the same friendly faces to serve you. We know what to expect, and so do the serving staff. We prefer eating earlier at home, and early dining for us is an extension of how we eat at home. We love it. 

• Like 1

I love not having to make any real decisions. Destinations are chosen, excursions are planned beforehand, no trying to figure out a restaurant that everyone will like... On some cruise days, the biggest decision could be which entree to get. And even then, my answer could always be both. 🙂

• Like 1

For us it is the complete lack of the need to make any decisions. I'm a cop and my wife is a dispatcher.  Everyday we are required to make high stress decision after high stress decision.  We buy the drink package so once we are on board there is nothing to think about.  We can completely unwind for a week.  It's the ultimate mental health treatment for us. 

• Like 3

Usually, it's the countdown.  Each time a milestone number is reached, it just feels that much closer.  This time it was from 499 to 400 to 365 to 300 to 200 to 180.  150. 100.  90 days - Check in! - 60 days - last payment due.  Next big one - 28 days left.

But this one is different.  This time we have the kids and their S/O's with us.  I want to see their faces when we pull up near the terminal - that look of surprise when they see just how big the ship really is.  I want to see the anticipation when our group is called, the excitement building as we walk along the gangway to board.  I want to see their eyes widen when we step into the atrium, and see the wonder that's set before us and watch their brains overload.  And I want to see them blissfully relaxed for a few days.  

And then, when we disembark, I want to wave goodbye as they catch cabs to the airport while my wife and I drive our butts down to Key West to spend a Just Us night in our favorite city in America 🙂

• Like 2

Apparently we are in the minority on this.We have been to the ports many time can only eat so much but what we both really enjoy is meeting folks. We sit on the promonade deck near the Achemy Bar and talk to people as they go by. If someone is silly enough to stop it could turn into hours. We have met many folks that we have traded emails etc and have kept in tough for years and even sailed again with a number of them Never had the friendlyness happen on a land based vacation.

• Like 1

I get excited booking the cruise, planning all the activities, driving to the port and getting there early like 8:30 am,people watching, excited when the door open at 10:00 am, we are always boarding in zone 1.Our next cruise we will be Platinum so we will be on quicker.We love the vibes on Carnival more than Royal, NCL is also very good too.

sorry this is long:

Napping-I don’t sleep well. And it is nearly impossible for me to nap normally even if I am exhausted. But on the ship I am usually able to take a nap or two.

No plans-aside from having to plan what we are going to do in each port. I love that I can see the schedule for the next days’ activities and decide what I want to do or not do. Or not do anything.

Clear mind-I love sitting on deck (or my balconey if we got one) and just reading or listening to music or both. And sometimes just staring off into the distance and having a blank mind.

Water-I am a florida girl. Love the water. So getting to see the waves. Dolphins. Cruising alongside a new place.

Food- my DH loves to eat. And he can eat a lot more than me. So normally on a vacation we have to plan where we are going to eat very carefully because he wants a lot more food. But on the ship, we don’t have to worry about that. And we can try new things to see if we like them without worrying about wasting our money. Cause on land I am not going to order something if I don’t think that I will enjoy it. It would be a waste of money. But here I get to try new things

Crew-even though I know they aren’tpaid as well as they should be, they always seem to be in a good mood. They remember our names. When we have the same waiter on YTD, they have our favourite drinks ready.

Unpacking once-you get to see multiple countries/cities (often for not as long as I would like, but sometimes for just as long as needed) and I only have to worry about what I want to carry around that day

Unplugged-I am not one of those people who is attached to my phone. I will often leave it at home by accident somedays. But knowing that I don’t have to feel bad about not contacting people back right aay or not answering their emails/messages is nice. I do use the wifi in port or check in a bit with family or to download a new book

Memories-making amazing memories with my husband. Whether we are battling each other in the trivia contests (we often don’t play as a team because we can’t agree on an answer) or trying new foods, seeing a great comedian, dancing on the ship, laughing at each other or other people.

Great photos-taking wonderful photos. Picturesque places to goofy pics of each other.

The sky-whether it is beautiful clear sky, stormy weather, or the clear night sky with amazing stars.

Meeting new people

Relaxing-knowing how destressed and relaxed both me and my husband become. Even planning the cruise in advance is a bit of a de-stressor. No “whats for dinner” or “can you pick xxxxx up on your way home from work”

• Like 1