Cruise Critic Community

I am  on a heated debate on a fb page about whether or not life jackets are stored in the cabins any more. I can’t remember seeing them in a cabin for sometime.  Can someone who cruises regularly tell me of your experiences, have you found life jackets in the cabin or not. I believe I read sometime ago that some older ships still had them in the cabins.

last cruise on Liberty in September there were some in our closet 

Edited by Tulsacoker

3 minutes ago, molsonschooner said:

I am  on a heated debate on a fb page about whether or not life jackets are stored in the cabins any more. I can’t remember seeing them in a cabin for sometime.  Can someone who cruises regularly tell me of your experiences, have you found life jackets in the cabin or not. I believe I read sometime ago that some older ships still had them in the cabins.

Some ships still have them in the staterooms, some don't.

4 minutes ago, molsonschooner said:

Yes it depends on what ship you are on.

Every time we’ve been on the Liberty the last 3 years they were in the closet.  

51 minutes ago, molsonschooner said:

Last 3 yrs one ship did not have them, other 3 ships did, all built in last 10-15yrs

Radiance had 4 in closet balcony twin last week 😊

This is what I was thinking. I don’t recall seeing them on Harmony but someone is insisting there were some in the cabins

None on the cabins on Oasis class ships.  I have sailed on all four in the last 5 years.

For Majesty they were in the cabin as of early Sept this year (2019).

I’m on Harmony right now and I just got up and looked in the closet and no life jackets.

Definitely depends on the ship.  

Mariner, Majesty, Navigator, and Freedom all had them when I was on those ships.  Haven't seen them on Oasis, Harmony, or Symphony.  

Where are they kept and how are they distributed on those ships that don't keep them in the cabin? I guess they go over all that at muster.

11 minutes ago, Chipmoose said:

Where are they kept and how are they distributed on those ships that don't keep them in the cabin? I guess they go over all that at muster.

They have them in storage areas near the muster stations.  They did point out where they were stored during muster drill on Allure.    You report to the muster station and if needed they hand them out.

Edited by AshleyDillo

33 minutes ago, Chipmoose said:

Near the muster stations.

You can request life jackets from your stateroom attendant.

11 hours ago, GarlicBread said:

Quantum and oasis class, no. 

Other, yes. 

This is the correct answer. 😊

On Oasis class ships if they don't point out the storage locations during the muster drill (I think one or two times they didn't)  if you look around the walls you will see little "plaques".  They indicate the number of life vests in that storage "locker".  In addition, there are more at the actual lifeboat boarding stations

technical reply ... the SOLAS 'convention' is the general 'rule' for safety of life at sea issues like life boats and life jackets.  They recently changed their recommendation wrt to jackets in the cabin versus jackets at the assembly site.

Note I said RECOMMENDATION ..... but in the US much of SOLAS is read into US code and enforced by USCG ......  

Ships are adjusting . . .