Cruise Critic Community
T-2

Finding our arriving RCCL Indie from Europe at which Port Everglades cruise terminal?

Thanks to the awesome advice on these boards I was able to rent from Alamo in Orlando for a one way rental and drop off on Eller Dr. right near the Port Everglades Cruise Terminals.  The Nov 9th cruise on the IndependenceOTS is Arriving transatlantic that morning, is there any way to know before leaving the hotel where it might have been placed?  I am hoping the moderators won't mind me asking here, this is for any experience boarding a RCCL ship that has arrived from Europe to start its Caribbean itineraries.  I would like to drop an 80 yr old, a mom and a 10 yr old grandson off with the luggage for the porters.  Then take the car to the rental return and Uber/Lyft back to them.  With 4 passengers and luggage that's easier than trying to get a large vehicle to haul Everything vs it being just me scooting back.

I'm not familiar Port Everglades but there seem to be a LOT of terminals.  I do love Waze and google maps but realize it needs me to input precisely Where the ship is.  Does anyone have any experience with locating a re-positioning ship?  We have an 11:00 arrival slot, do they ever not allow you to enter because maybe customs or immigration needed extra time to clear a ship that is newly entering the U.S. for the season?  We leave for FL in about 3 weeks, I super appreciate any help.  

Since you are departing from the same terminal.....many times your cruise documents will also have a terminal number or better address for where you are supposed to go. Just an idea. 

It is pretty easy to find it, it is fairly large in size.

You can usually see the ship docked.

Also, Alamo has shuttle that will drop you off...

Edited by matj2000

I am pretty sure that the Indy will be arriving at T-18.  The porters normally start taking luggage around 9:00-9:30 and the doors to the terminal will open around 9:30.  There are limited benches out side the terminal, but once inside there is plenty of seating.  As this ship is coming from Europe, there will be a longer than usual debark as both the passengers and the crew will have to go thru customs and the ship might even have an USCG inspection, which will mean a later embarkation.  Pack your patience if you are coming early as you may be sitting for awhile.  There is a Alamo rental car location right out side the main entrance to the port and they do have a shuttle..... You might just be better off dropping the car first as the shuttle driver will help you with the luggage.

I will definitely look at putting in the Alamo address, it sounds like I could see the ship from there.  Appreciate the heads up as I was guessing there would probably be extra time needed for the ships arrival.  Our cruise documents don't specify a terminal number but given their time in Europe I wasn't sure if their first U.S. inspection might be in a preferred place for customs & USGC personnel to greet ships after a longish absense.  On the map it looked like Port Everglades was fairly largely spread out.   Thank you everyone.

4 hours ago, T-2 said:

I will definitely look at putting in the Alamo address, it sounds like I could see the ship from there.  Appreciate the heads up as I was guessing there would probably be extra time needed for the ships arrival.  Our cruise documents don't specify a terminal number but given their time in Europe I wasn't sure if their first U.S. inspection might be in a preferred place for customs & USGC personnel to greet ships after a longish absense.  On the map it looked like Port Everglades was fairly largely spread out.   Thank you everyone.

Boarding dose not start until 11:30 at best.  Whoever you drop off will be in long lines and then waiting to board. If you slow up a little and drop off the family at 12 or a little later there will be almost no lines or waiting.  Having traveled with a 85 year old mother in law I know waiting around is a pita.  We came back a year ago on the Indy TA and the ship was cleared and empty by 10am. 

This is really helpful, our hotel the night before is northern Fort Lauderdale.  Our cruise documents had given us that 11:00 arrival slot but given that it's just arriving in the U.S. I think we're better off backing off for more like noon.  Super appreciate the suggestion.  It's not like we can run back to the hotel if there are unexpected complications but if I keep the car until they are starting to board, we at least have the option of finding someplace close by to hang out.  I imagine the car rental will know when they are letting the shuttles drop passengers off, sometimes the terminal will work with the rental places to hold shuttles up if they don't want to be besieged with passengers and no place to put them all.

Both Host Clarea and mscinmia absolutely nailed it, I was able to look on that link today before boarding our flight and the Indie is indeed porting at terminal 18 after her European run.  The Adventurer of the Seas is also in port this Sat and she's over in 29, so I appreciate knowing just where our RCCL ship is pulling in :0)  Thank you both!

6 hours ago, T-2 said:

Both Host Clarea and mscinmia absolutely nailed it, I was able to look on that link today before boarding our flight and the Indie is indeed porting at terminal 18 after her European run.  The Adventurer of the Seas is also in port this Sat and she's over in 29, so I appreciate knowing just where our RCCL ship is pulling in :0)  Thank you both!

I will see you Saturday!!   Just stop by the Pier Coordinator's desk and say hi!!  

I sailed out of Port Canaveral recently and found it confusing as to where to turn to our ship. From what I remember there was a directional sign towards three piers but after that it was a guess as to where to turn AND the personnel directing traffic seemed to go out of their way to not help AND the porters seemed the most unfriendly I’ve ever experienced ‼️

12 minutes ago, Artemus said:

I sailed out of Port Canaveral recently and found it confusing as to where to turn to our ship. From what I remember there was a directional sign towards three piers but after that it was a guess as to where to turn AND the personnel directing traffic seemed to go out of their way to not help AND the porters seemed the most unfriendly I’ve ever experienced ‼️

Interesting, we've cruised out of PC at least two-dozen times and have always seen large and clearly marked signage as to the ship location.

38 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Interesting, we've cruised out of PC at least two-dozen times and have always seen large and clearly marked signage as to the ship location.

They must have taken them down when we cruised ‼️