Jump to content

Magic Castle at Sea changes to Crystal Magicians at Sea


Recommended Posts

I notice in the listing for Entertainment for future cruises the Magic show is now described as "Crystal Magicians at Sea"

 

Some of the magicians listed are the same as have appeared under the Magic Castle at Sea banner - but I wonder if something has changed with the relationship Crystal has had with Rich Bloch since at least 2012

 

I wonder if they are still giving out the tickets to the Magic Castle in LA?

 

Does anyone know why the description might have changed?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no background, but I’m not surprised about the end of the sponsorship...  Crystal has been walking away from its partnerships with California-based companies a lot in the past few years.  I don’t think these have been bad things, but they’ve been interesting to watch.  Everything from Big Leaf teas, Apple products and services (though the hardware remains in the labs), several of the toiletry brands like Neutrogena and Sebastian (though older), and Nestle’s ice cream brands which are regionally based in the US in CA.  I just see this as another one of many tiny steps in the de-Californiazation of the company.

 

Vince

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone on board currently or recently attend one of the shows - are they still promoting the Magic Castle link and ability to visit the Castle in LA?

 

Vince - Interesting list - you could add the link to the Chef, Azmin Ghahreman, who runs Sapphire Laguna, who inspired Tastes in the incarnation before the last refurbishment to that list

and I note that Prego isn't on the list of restaurants on Eclipse. Hard to tell where Nobu and the Matsuhisa Restaurants are based - maybe we should hope it's not California!

 

 

Edited by Stickman1990
Link to post
Share on other sites

On my cruise a few weeks ago, it was still magic castle at sea.  The video narrated by Rich Bloch was shown.  Btw, the magician was excellent!  It was his first time on crystal and I’m sure not the last time

 

i suspect any changes to the program won’t occur until the new year. Time will tell 

 

Nancy

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rich is one of my dearest friends. At a recent dinner, he told me that the Castle wanted to end their relationship with Crystal for, well,  various reasons. In fact at dinner that night we knew there would be  a new program in place and we all suggested different names. I like Crystal Magicians at Sea as a new name for the program. Rich is still very much in charge of this very popular program and I believe his video will still be shown at the beginning of each session. But there are no tickets to the Castle anymore. A rose by any other name. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

and I note that Prego isn't on the list of restaurants on Eclipse


oops...got my expedition ships muddled - I meant on the forthcoming Crystal Endeavor as opposed to the recently launched Scenic Eclipse

 

Jim - thanks for clarifying the situation - glad to hear the closeup magic shows will continue (at least for the time being) and I’m not particularly worried about the lack of tickets for the Castle in LA - you have to wonder how many guests actually utilised them 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the scoop, Jim!  That's very interesting.

 

Tracie -- YES!  I knew there was a really obvious one I was forgetting, and I was still a little too fuzzy that early to remember it.  Thanks!

 

Terry -- that's a good point about the Chefs...  I wasn't even thinking in that direction.  I doubt Nobu is going anywhere anytime soon, but you could argue his connection to California is strong since his first restaurant, Matsuhisa, was a California legend.  Chef Ghahreman is the latest with the partnership ended, but before him was Piero Selvaggio, that partnered on one of Prego's iterations, and Wolfgang Puck, that partnered on Jade Garden's second iteration.  Like Nobu they are all famous for various ventures, but you're right to call out they all came to prominence for their work in California.

 

Vince

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Out2See said:

Rich is still very much in charge of this very popular program and I believe his video will still be shown at the beginning of each session. But there are no tickets to the Castle anymore. A rose by any other name. 

 

We just disembarked Symphony this past weekend. The intro video with Rich Bloch is a newer version that we had never seen before. There's a background  screen shot of the Magic Castle, but no mention of it in the video. We did receive the Magic Castle passes, as usual. We were at Magic Castle in LA earlier this year and one of the magicians that we saw there was performing on our cruise. Totally different set-of-tricks onboard than at the Castle, btw.

 

Rob

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jim, thank you for sharing this.  Sometimes when a program changes we all have a tendency to think it was driven by Crystal whereas sometimes it is the vendor.  This isn't the first time a change was driven by the vendor.

 

I do want to note that Endeavor has both a Prego and Nobu (Umi Uma) planned and certainly don't see Nobu going away.  It is one of several differentiators for Crystal.

 

I would keep in mind while Crystal has the Southern California presence a lot of the personnel are in Miami including many of the senior management team.

 

Keith

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

They took out the Pilates program too.

Yes, certainly a disappointment for me.

Interestingly, there is a Pilates instructor scheduled for our upcoming themed Mind and Body cruise, whereas there wasn't on our similarly themed cruise last year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kool kruiser said:

Yes, certainly a disappointment for me.

Interestingly, there is a Pilates instructor scheduled for our upcoming themed Mind and Body cruise, whereas there wasn't on our similarly themed cruise last year.


They also have a Pilates instructor on for the World Cruise - or at least some segments 

 

I guess it’s like the Knitting enrichment programme - more itinerary dependant now and not every cruise 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

I notice in the listing for Entertainment for future cruises the Magic show is now described as "Crystal Magicians at Sea"

 

Some of the magicians listed are the same as have appeared under the Magic Castle at Sea banner - but I wonder if something has changed with the relationship Crystal has had with Rich Bloch since at least 2012

 

I wonder if they are still giving out the tickets to the Magic Castle in LA?

 

Does anyone know why the description might have changed?

 

After reading this, I checked on our upcoming cruise, Nov 24, Serenity, RT FLL.  The magician is the same as before, Doc Eason, but he is now a "Crystal Magician at Sea."  What caught my eye are the additional performers listed under "Magic Presentations."  Can't wait to find out what that is all about. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

 

After reading this, I checked on our upcoming cruise, Nov 24, Serenity, RT FLL.  The magician is the same as before, Doc Eason, but he is now a "Crystal Magician at Sea."  What caught my eye are the additional performers listed under "Magic Presentations."  Can't wait to find out what that is all about. 

 

Your cruise has 3 Themes...food and wine, crystal on broadway and Magic.  The "Magic" theme is separate from the new and improved "crystal magician at sea".  I believe crystal has done a Magic theme annually and possibly in the future.

 

enjoy the great enrichment programs, I know I would!!!

 

Nancy

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a bit confused about the Pilates. To my knowledge there has never been a separate Pilates Instructir on all cruises. I could be wrong but this is what I remember,  Typically as Terry mentioned there is one on the full World Cruise and once in awhile I see someone else. On other cruises the folks in the fitness center teach them. 
 

this is similar to Yoga. We see a dedicated instructor on the World Cruise and from time to time I’m on other cruises. 

 

The casino is a good example where Caesar’s was the one who wanted to end the relationship when they merged rather than Crystal initiating the change. 
 

Keith



 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Keith,  when I started cruising Crystal, my personal Pilates teacher was part of the program. There were instructors on both the ships through the program. On Serenity, they have reformers for 6 students and they had 3-4 classes daily in Pulse.  On Symphony it was Mat Pilates in Stardust.  You signed up in the library.

 

Rick Spath spoke to me when he found I was friends with one of the teachers and he wanted her to do the World Cruise. Most of the teachers were from California or Seattle. The person who put the program together was a dancer onboard at one time.

 

Anyway, the last few cruises have not had the pilates program. :-(.  Like you spin, I do to a reformer class 4-6 times a week.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much Kathy.  I was familiar with the Pilates program offered on the World Cruise but I hadn't realized it was more extensive with instructors being on lots of other voyages.  

 

I thought it was similar to Yoga where on the World Cruise one or more people teach it and from time to time such as on the May, 2018 Symphony Cruise we sailed where they had someone else offer Yoga.  Other times it is the Fitness Center.  

 

Thank you again for providing the background on this.

 

I can understand that they might not offer a full fledge Pilates or Yoga Program on most cruises as Crystal has evolved to shorter and port intensive cruises.  IMHO the alternative is to offer Pilates and Yoga with the Fitness Instructors teaching these classes just as they do many other classes and then on World Cruises and long cruises with lots of sea days to bring on-board a Pilates and/or Yoga instructor.  In fact, in the perfect world they would find someone who could teach both classes.  JMO.

 

Full disclosure I have taken Pilates at home (not with reformers) and a former doctor we had unit he had to move from the area said as we age Pilates and/or Yoga are important for each of us for several reasons including balance.  Having taken Pilates I agree 100%.  😀  

 

Thank you again Kathy.

 

Keith

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm... if one is a yoga instructor AND a physician, can you earn double salary on a Crystal Cruise?

 

I am sad to hear of the Magic Castle cancelling.  I'm still holding on to our tickets from our June 2017 cruise...  we don't make it to CA terribly often, but we do.  I was looking forward to getting two more on our upcoming Serenity cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

I was just told the tickets to the Castle in Southern California are good until the end of this year.

 

Keith

Keith, not necessarily true. There are no expiration dates on any of these passes. We were advised by the staff at the Magic Castle earlier this year that State of California statutes cannot deny use of such passes, discounts, etc. unless there is a specific expiration date on the document. The Magic Castle passes have no such expiration dates on them.

 

Now, after the end of the year, Magic Castle may choose to greatly limit the number of Crystal Magic Castle at Sea passes honored and that is within their legal rights. When we reserved our Magic Castle visit earlier this year, there was a 3 month wait from the time we called until the first available "Crystal Cruises" reservation. It is possible that the advance wait may be significantly increased, in order to discourage use of all these outstanding passes.

 

If my interpretation of the State of California statutes is incorrect, I would welcome the correction.

 

Rob 

Edited by ryndam
typo
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ryndam said:

Keith, not necessarily true. There are no expiration dates on any of these passes. We were advised by the staff at the Magic Castle earlier this year that State of California statutes cannot deny use of such passes, discounts, etc. unless there is a specific expiration date on the document. The Magic Castle passes have no such expiration dates on them.

 

Now, after the end of the year, Magic Castle may choose to greatly limit the number of Crystal Magic Castle at Sea passes honored and that is within their legal rights. When we reserved our Magic Castle visit earlier this year, there was a 3 month wait from the time we called until the first available "Crystal Cruises" reservation. It is possible that the advance wait may be significantly increased, in order to discourage use of all these outstanding passes.

 

If my interpretation of the State of California statutes is incorrect, I would welcome the correction.

 

Rob 

Rob, I hope what you were told we right.  I was only passing along what I was told.  😁

 

I guess someone can try after the end of the year and let us know whether or not they were able to use the passes.

 

Keith

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Keith, I think the key take-away from this change is to try and use the passes sooner, rather than later, in order to avoid possible disappointment. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the Magic Castle earlier this year; we arrived at 5:30pm and didn't leave until after midnight. It's a great experience for anyone interested in close-up sleight-of-hand entertainment.

 

Rob

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...