Magic Castle at Sea changes to Crystal Magicians at Sea

28 minutes ago, 1lehrer said:

Hi

I called the Castle yesterday and the message on the phone said the Crystal program is ending,January 1, 2020. Tickets only good Monday - Thursday til then.

Howard

Thank you for the update. Glad we had the opportunity to visit earlier this year.

Rob

2 hours ago, 1lehrer said:

I called the Castle yesterday and the message on the phone said the Crystal program is ending,January 1, 2020.

Oh well - their loss - I guess we’ll find something else to do in LA pre our cruise in January - although we may decide to go and get in via a magician friend 

Interestingly this was the first time it had even crossed my mind to look at going to the Castle as well as staying at the associated hotel while in LA

3 hours ago, 1lehrer said:

Hi

I called the Castle yesterday and the message on the phone said the Crystal program is ending,January 1, 2020. Tickets only good Monday - Thursday til then.

Howard

Howard, thanks for calling and the update and looks like the information passed on to me was correct.  😀

Keith

How sad that Magic Castle at Sea is ending. We celebrated Herb's birthday there with our family two years ago, thanks to our stash of guest passes from past cruises. If anyone still has tickets and has a chance to be in the LA area, I can't urge you enough to book your visit. It's a fantastic, unique evening! Here's my blog post about our experience:

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/the-magic-castle-an-enchanting-evening-in-the-heart-of-hollywood/

Mary

Travel Blog: https://www.themodernpostcard.com

Sad news indeed and not sure how the Magic Castle can impose a date limitation when there is no expiry date on the ticket but no doubt they have checked with their legal department. We will try to squeeze in one more visit in December of 2020. When we were there the last time it was incredibly busy and very few of the people who were there were magicians - more friends of friends of friends who were members so maybe they are enforcing tighter rules all round.

8 minutes ago, ClefsDor said:

Sad news indeed and not sure how the Magic Castle can impose a date limitation when there is no expiry date on the ticket but no doubt they have checked with their legal department. We will try to squeeze in one more visit in December of 2020. When we were there the last time it was incredibly busy and very few of the people who were there were magicians - more friends of friends of friends who were members so maybe they are enforcing tighter rules all round.

Shirin

According to the information, passes will not be honored after January 2020, so if were thinking of using passes Dec.2020, it won't work.

8 minutes ago, docmark said:

Shirin

According to the information, passes will not be honored after January 2020, so if were thinking of using passes Dec.2020, it won't work.

Oh gosh, you're right! Thanks for pointing that out - this is what happens when I post before I've had a cup of coffee! Well looks like we were lucky to have gone the one time we did! 

I am one of the friends of members and have been a few times.  I think if they did not allow those guests in, the club would have financial issues.  The food is average at best.  The Magicians are amazing.  I think the shows on Crystal are far better than the shows at the club.

Maybe I am wrong but isn't the admission to Magic Castle $25.00 per person on Monday  thru Thursday and $35.00 Friday thru Sunday?

So worst case  if one wants to go and can't use their ticket it's not like we are talking about a huge sum of money for the opportunity to attend. 

Keith

17 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

So worst case  if one wants to go and can't use their ticket it's not like we are talking about a huge sum of money for the opportunity to attend.

Keith, yes there is a charge to enter (Crystal ticket holders were exempt form the charge as they had to have dinner in the restaurant) but one can only gain entry through a member and then pay the fee. 

What I like about CC is you learn something everyday around here. I was not so familiar with admission to Magic Castle.  We have good friends who are members so they can get us in and I wasn't so familiar with the benefit of the ticket other than the admission savings.

I am going to digress for a moment.  Overall I have found the Magic Castle to be popular with guests.  Yes I realize some don't care for it as we all have our likes and dislikes when it comes to enrichment and entertainment.  However many do like it which is evident to me from the posts on various threads the past couple of years and on the ship when we attend and all seats are full and more recently where on Serenity they increased the number of seats and sometimes on both ships when we've been on they have added showings.

I remember when the program was announced some people posted how silly it was for a luxury line to have a magician program.  That is was not luxury and more what you would think of a mass market line offering.  Sometimes I think lt is better to keep an open mind before judging something because sometimes one might be surprised about how much they enjoy it.  Yes not all new things works and some are duds but you will never know unless you try.  Also not all change is good but some change is.  Often a new program replaces another program. Other times it is incremental.  To get three successes you might have one or two failures.  

Anyway, this is one of those program which for many people has been a success and IMHO does provide a luxury experience because of the talent of the vast majority of the magicians and the intimacy of the rooms used to keep the performances to a small group of people.  Now if it was done with a first time magician who only pulled a rabbit out of a hat and performed to 1,000 people at once this might be another story.

Keith

Just to add to Keiths commentS - one extra benefit of sailing on Crystal with the magicians is the ability to spend sometime with them and learn a little more about their background In a social environment - we’ve been lucky to share a table of 8 with one (he came as a guest one night and we wouldn’t let him go!) and to get to know others over a drink or cup of tea

One of my memories was back in 2014 when the magician on our crossing of the Pacific taught one of the two children onboard a couple of tricks - I swear Jack performed that trick for every adult on board - and we were all amazed of course! 

So hats off to the Crystal Magicians whether they be under the Magic Castle brand or going forward as Crystal Magicians at Sea - I’m very glad to have the chance to attend their performances and spend time with many of them 

20 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I remember when the program was announced some people posted how silly it was for a luxury line to have a magician program.  That is was not luxury and more what you would think of a mass market line offering. 

I think a lot of folks hear the word "magic" and imagine they're going to seeing a lady sawed (not really) in half.  The subtlety and wonder of close-up work is an entirely different thing.

To me, you can make the Statue of Liberty disappear?  Big deal.  Now, you can make an ordinary deck of playing cards turn into, say, a pack of 52 cars with my picture on them, and I spend the rest of day thinking "how did s/he do that?"  That's magic.  

2 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

I think a lot of folks hear the word "magic" and imagine they're going to seeing a lady sawed (not really) in half.  The subtlety and wonder of close-up work is an entirely different thing.

To me, you can make the Statue of Liberty disappear?  Big deal.  Now, you can make an ordinary deck of playing cards turn into, say, a pack of 52 cars with my picture on them, and I spend the rest of day thinking "how did s/he do that?"  That's magic.  

I know what you mean.  At the same time this reinforces my thinking to not judge something until you have experienced it for yourself. 

Keith

I have 8 Magic Castle  passes that I haven't use and I live under  an hour from it! I did se tickets a few years ago, and though we were late, thoroughly enjoyed myself! 🙂 If anyone wants a couple and or will be in Los Angeles In the near future, I would love someone to have them and or go with me-the problem is you have t reserve weeks in advance to months in advance as the space is limited and certain performers are more popular than others, and weekends sell out faster than weekdays, for obvious reasons

We have friends who are magician members of the Magic Castle and we had dinner with them last evening. They advised that due to popularity, it is very hard for even the members to get reservations quickly at the castle. It is taking some times as much is 2 1/2 months to get an available dinner date. Weekend brunches are sold out for the first two of the three seatings regularly and around the holidays it is even worse.  In answer to complaints from members, the castle is holding aside a certain amount of seats on a very limited basis which are priority marked for members but in some instances the members have to call back daily for a week or more in order to see if space is available as the limited seats you’re marked for members go quickly.

At one time the castle had hit very hard times and attracting new members was a problematic.  While not entirely attributable to him, the presidency of the Academy of magical arts, when Neil Patrick Harris took over ushered in a new era of enthusiasm and younger generation individuals applying for magician membership and associate membership status. That is good news for the castle while at the same time the overwhelming uptick in new business has required older members to rethink their way of planning to dine at the Castle.  More. simply put, all who wish to attend an evening or a brunch at the castle need to plan way in advance.  For better or for worse, the days of calling on Monday about attending that Thursday are long gone.

Finally the poster referenced the law in the state of California is correct. The tickets have no expiration date on them and therefore do not expire though the castle can control how many Crystal guests The castle allows in on any given day or dates. All that being said it is always a great evening with very good food and wonderful magical talent on display at every corner and every theater and well worth planning in advance to attend.  

On 10/15/2019 at 5:39 AM, Stickman1990 said:

oops...got my expedition ships muddled - I meant on the forthcoming Crystal Endeavor as opposed to the recently launched Scenic Eclipse

Jim - thanks for clarifying the situation - glad to hear the closeup magic shows will continue (at least for the time being) and I’m not particularly worried about the lack of tickets for the Castle in LA - you have to wonder how many guests actually utilised them 

We just recently sailed on the Scenic Eclipse And while it has 10 dining options, there are no names associated with the venues nor frankly are big names needed.  The food speaks volumes for itself as does the diversity of dining options all at no additional charge.  With 34 chefs from around the globe on board from various countries and a 31-year-old executive chef Tom Goetter who is a veritable wunderkind  in charge,  every meal was a gustatory delight, the menus in the Restaurants onboard change every three days and the kitchen is working with over 2200 recipes to feed 200 passengers during each cruise.   This in addition to eight lounges and bars!It was designed to be and truly is akin to the experience of sailing on a billionaire’s yacht.