Is 11:45 am flight out of MIA risky?

Cafedumonde

3 minutes ago, Cafedumonde said:

Seems like plenty of time to make the flight to me but others in our group are nervous about it.  Anyone have experience with getting of Regal and getting to MIA?  Thanks

I think the Princess recommended time is no fights before 1 or 2 pm for MIA?

IMO........You would have to do self walkoff in the first group with your bags and catch Uber/Lyft/private shuttle etc to MIA. It is approx 22 miles.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

IMO........You would have to do self walkoff in the first group with your bags and catch Uber/Lyft/private shuttle etc to MIA. It is approx 22 miles.

That 1 or 2pm warning is interesting.  Thanks.  We prefer to self walkoff generally.  We are a bit paranoid about seeing our bags again.  I know it is silly, but we do think that way.

6 minutes ago, Cafedumonde said:

That 1 or 2pm warning is interesting.  Thanks.  We prefer to self walkoff generally.  We are a bit paranoid about seeing our bags again.  I know it is silly, but we do think that way.

I was first thinking Noon but that sounds a tad early for the Princess warning.

Maybe someone can chime in that knows for sure.

I would just want to be heading there asap when they clear the ship for disembarkation.

• Like 1

Regal has a 6am arrival to PE.  Walk-off begins shortly thereafter unless something unusual going on.  

Just played with our Nov cruise in the Flights section and EZ-Air changes from earliest flight at 11:00am for FLL to 1:00pm for MIA.  All things being equal, two additional hours for MIA is over-the-top.  Personally, I would not hesitate to keep your flight because making something even earlier than 11:00am at FLL is a breeze.

• Like 1

Thanks to all.  I really appreciate the feedback.  Now I have to convince the worrier in the group to go with it!  I have a high risk tolerance and would be comfortable booking even earlier.  It is hard but I have to remind myself that not everyone is comfortable with risk!  It is a $150 per person price difference to leave later.  Ugh.

15 minutes ago, Cafedumonde said:

Thanks to all.  I really appreciate the feedback.  Now I have to convince the worrier in the group to go with it!  I have a high risk tolerance and would be comfortable booking even earlier.  It is hard but I have to remind myself that not everyone is comfortable with risk!  It is a $150 per person price difference to leave later.  Ugh.

11:45 am is totally doable on a normal arrival and immigration clearance.

However, if you're arriving back to PE from a transatlantic, no i wouldn't risk it.

And if there's any delays on a normal arrival date - which do happen - then you do risk missing your flight. And delays can be for anything - whether boat or immigration related, traffic, etc. 

Self walkoff will help, for sure. In normal circumstances, no problem.

Personally, I'm risk averse, and would probably take a layer flight, even if more expensive.. but that's me.. good luck convincing the worrier in your group. Do you all absolutely have to fly together?  Maybe you and yours can take the earlier one snd the more risk averse of the group can take the later.. problem solved.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

Seems like plenty of time to make the flight to me but others in our group are nervous about it.  Anyone have experience with getting of Regal and getting to MIA?  Thanks

Should be ok.   Cruise terminal to MIA takes around 20 minutes.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1

EZAir allowed me to book a noon flight from MIA to DFW. That departure is on a Monday. I assume traffic from the port to MIA would be even less on the weekend. DH and I will take the Princess shuttle.  The shuttle cost for two to MIA is inline with Uber or Lyft.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

From the Princess website for FLL port.

Disembarking Passengers
Earliest International Flight Departure for Ft. Lauderdale: 5 hours after ship's arrival.

Earliest Domestic Flight Departure for Ft. Lauderdale: 4 hours and 30 minutes after ship's arrival.

Earliest International Flight Departure for Miami: 7 hours after ship's arrival.

Earliest Domestic Flight Departure for Miami: 6 hours after ship's arrival.

The flight guidlines section on the website is helpful. My assumption is that Princess takes a conservative approach.

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/travel.jsp

• Like 1

just got off crown transatlantic—had a 2:30 flight out of miami....between the immigration lines, bags being unloaded in the wrong area,  one hour wait on other passengers with a transfer, tsa lines, and traffic tied up because of rain and road construction, we barely made it. (we disembarked a few minutes after 8 am)....several others in our group missed their flights....decide what is best for you but don't complain like most of our group did when things didn't work out!

• Like 1

If you are using EZ Air, can you change your flight to depart from FLL? If not, then that may be cutting it close unless everyone has Global Entry - helps with the immigration lines at the cruise terminal and the airport security line at MIA.

• Like 1

So it is booked.  11:45 flight out of Miami.  Here’s to the ship arriving on time!  I will come back and let you all know how it goes, but unfortunately it isn’t until March.  It is a 7 night Eastern Caribbean, so hopefully easy arrival back to FE.  I really appreciate the feedback.  I hope people keep adding to the thread.  Now that it is booked I am a bit nervous and will probably keep reading about the topic, looking up other threads too.  Happy sailing!

Edited by Cafedumonde