Would you feel comfortable landing in Asia 6:45 am for a 11am-3pm same day boarding?

Stockjock

Doing a 4-day cruise out of Singapore.  The plan is to spend a few days in a hotel after the cruise and possibly to go straight from the plane to the ship.  

Total airtime from the U.S. should be about 18-20 hours each way.  I'm shooting for something with 1 stop, so SoCal to SFO to Singapore and then something similar on the way back.

Looking at a flight that is scheduled to land in Singapore at 6:45 am with United Airlines the day of the cruise.  Check-in starts at 11:00 am and ends at 3 pm with a 4:30 pm departure.  It should take about 25 minutes or so to get from the airport to the cruise terminal.  Obviously one would have to get their bag, clear Customs, etc.  Apparently it usually takes about 30 minutes to clear Singapore Customs.

It sounds to me like this would be doable.  Only risk would be if you missed a flight or was a major delay.  I figure I could have a problem that costs me maybe 4-5 hours and still make it.

Given this, would you feel comfortable with these flights?

Edited by Stockjock

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

What is the question?  Would I feel comfortable with the itinerary you’re contemplating or do I think you can make it from the airport to the ship if all goes according to schedule?

The former.  I thought the schedule seemed interesting.  Singapore to Malaysia to Thailand on one of the oceanview full suites facing forward with full glass windows for around $600.  Do that for 4 days, spend a few days in Singapore after returning around Clarke Quay, then fly home.

Doesn't sound appealing?

3 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

The former.  I thought the schedule seemed interesting.  Singapore to Malaysia to Thailand on one of the oceanview full suites facing forward with full glass windows for around $600.  Do that for 4 days, spend a few days in Singapore after returning around Clarke Quay, then fly home.

Doesn't sound appealing?

I wouldn’t go anywhere near this.  If you think it’s worth your time, effort and money then enjoy yourself.

34 minutes ago, ATC cruiser said:

If they have stronger than expected headwinds the flight could easily be a few hours late

I don't think they carry a few hours of extra fuel generally...

34 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

I won't fly to the next STATE on the same day as a cruise, much less a different continent. 

This.  All it takes is a missed connection and/or a customs agent who decides it’s your day for some “special treatment” and your trip is ruined.

• Haha 1

Just now, parsec0298 said:

This.  All it takes is a missed connection and/or a customs agent who decides it’s your day for some “special treatment” and your trip is ruined.

What sort of "special treatment" are you expecting in Singapore from a customs agent that would take 8 hours?  At that point, I'd just want to go home anyways.... 

48 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Doing a 4-day cruise out of Singapore.  The plan is to spend a few days in a hotel after the cruise and possibly 

Absolutely no way.  How much more could it be to arrive 1 full day earlier and tack on another hotel?

6 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

I'd get in a few days earlier so I could get over the jet lag. I would not enjoy getting over 12 hours of hey lag on the cruise itself

We feel the same way.

12 minutes ago, BNBR said:

I'd do it. As long as the flight isn't canceled, which long hauls rarely are, it's highly likely to be no issue at all.  These flights are typically pretty much on time or close to it.

You might want to start reading on post #20

I think our 28 hour flight via Tokyo ended taking 63 hours via Detroit and Shanghai. We arrived in Singapire with 4 hours to spare

Edited by John&LaLa

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

You might want to start reading on post #20

Didn't say it was impossible.  Just that it's rare.  And if it happens, change of plans and a nice trip to Singapore.  It's not catastrophic.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BNBR said:

Didn't say it was impossible.  Just that it's rare.  And if it happens, change or plans and a nice trip to Singapore.  It's not catastrophic.

Believe me, when we were stuck in Shanghai, I was looking at flights into Phuket, our first stop.

And our trip was 28 days, not 4.

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

Doing a 4-day cruise out of Singapore.  The plan is to spend a few days in a hotel after the cruise and possibly to go straight from the plane to the ship.  

Total airtime from the U.S. should be about 18-20 hours each way.  I'm shooting for something with 1 stop, so SoCal to SFO to Singapore and then something similar on the way back.

Looking at a flight that is scheduled to land in Singapore at 6:45 am with United Airlines the day of the cruise.  Check-in starts at 11:00 am and ends at 3 pm with a 4:30 pm departure.  It should take about 25 minutes or so to get from the airport to the cruise terminal.  Obviously one would have to get their bag, clear Customs, etc.  Apparently it usually takes about 30 minutes to clear Singapore Customs.

It sounds to me like this would be doable.  Only risk would be if you missed a flight or was a major delay.  I figure I could have a problem that costs me maybe 4-5 hours and still make it.

No, no, no.