Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
cruisinisforme

Add on to prague after cruise

Our cruise ends in deggendorf and avalon has an add on to prague, has anyone done this and can you tell me how long it takes to get from deggendorf to prague?  I know they bus you but it looks like a long bus ride.

1 hour ago, cruisinisforme said:

Our cruise ends in deggendorf and avalon has an add on to prague, has anyone done this and can you tell me how long it takes to get from deggendorf to prague?  I know they bus you but it looks like a long bus ride.

It is a rather long drive - it takes about 3 hours by car - probably a little longer by bus (so maybe 3.5 to 4 hours). There is also a train option. We DIY to Prague - have not availed ourselves of any cruise add ons.

there are 10 of us so i was thinking the add on might be easier.  if it were just 2 or 4 i probably would do it myself.  how did you get to prague when you went?

4 hours ago, cruisinisforme said:

how did you get to prague when you went?

We took the train.

I haven't been to Prague [yet], but I was just reading an article in National Geographic Traveler about off-beat sights there, including the Stefanik Observatory [https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g274707-d590766-Reviews-Stefanik_Observatory-Prague_Bohemia.html] and the Astronomical Tower in the Klementinum (Jesuit University) [https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g274707-d2358452-r226984261-Klementinum-Prague_Bohemia.html]

We did a post cruise Prague extension with Viking in 2016 and enjoyed it immensely. It was a highlight of the trip. Prague is a truly magical city that transports you back in time. Everyone should visit it at least once.