Grandeur Sold

Just received this email:

A Friendly Farewell

As a loyal Crown & Anchor Society member, you are the foundation of our Royal Caribbean International family. And as families do, we have an announcement to share with you regarding our beloved Grandeur of the Seas.

After 23 years, Grandeur of the Seas will leave our fleet in the Spring of 2021. While this news is bittersweet, we’re excited that she’ll remain in the Royal Caribbean family, as she’ll be joining our sister brand, Pullmantur Cruises. We wanted you to be the first to know, since many of you love this ship and have spent a lot of time sailing with her.

Grandeur’s last sailing will be on March 26th, 2021, and we hope you get a chance to visit her before she joins Pullmantur. In her place, Enchantment of the Seas will sail from Baltimore, Maryland for the 2021 season, beginning in late April. Enchantment offers great amenities like, additional whirlpools and pools, a Diamond Club, and for adventure junkies, a bungee trampoline! Plus, some of our fan favorite dining options, like Park Café, Windjammer Café, Chops Grille, and Chef’s Table.

As many of you may know, Grandeur of the Seas is one of our highest rated ships for staff friendliness. Our team really brings that WOW factor! And since you’re probably wondering, all our staff onboard Grandeur will continue delivering their amazing and friendly service with us – just on our other ships. So, no need to worry about our beloved crew and friends! You’ll still get to enjoy Hotel Director Zoe’s witty humor, Guest Services Manager Diana’s excellent recommendations, and sip on those delicious cocktails crafted by our top-rated Bartenders, Elvis and Marian!

Thank you for being a loyal member of our family! We really value sharing your vacation moments and lifetime experiences together, and we can’t wait to see you back onboard very soon!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

Have questions? We have answers.

Why is Grandeur of Seas leaving?
As we introduce our newest ships, over time, we may move around some of our ships. We know this news is bittersweet, but we’re excited that she’ll stay in the family and join our sister brand, Pullmantur Cruises in the Spring of 2021. Her story will continue!

Will Grandeur of the Seas be replaced in Baltimore?
Grandeurs’ sister ship, Enchantment of the Seas will sail from Baltimore, Maryland for the 2021 season, in late April. With her she’ll bring great amenities like, additional whirlpools and extra pools, a Diamond Club, and for adventure junkies, a bungee trampoline! Plus, some of our fan favorite dining options, like Park Café, Windjammer Café, Chops Grille, and Chef’s Table.

I want to book onboard Enchantment of the Seas when it goes to Baltimore. When will the new 2021 itineraries be available?
Our Q2 2021 season for Baltimore will be announced soon. Once we have the date, we’ll let you know.

1 minute ago, George C said:

We had a couple of very nice cruises on her. Find it strange to see former rccl ships under new lines, we were in Barcelona 3 years ago and one of ur favorite ships of all time was there docked Sovereign of the seas.

Yeah, first saw that 20yrs ago. Was in Southern Carib and saw one of Royal Original ships, smaller, operated by another Company but can't hide that Crown Lounge

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Would be nice, but I think they don't want that market for the RCI brand.

100% correct imo as well.

48 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Not sure she'll get much. Splendour and Legend went about a year apart. With this announcement, I think Enchantments' days in the RCI fleet are numbered.

It's been a while now (over a year for sure) when talking about Legend's departure vs. Empress coming back, and the upcoming departure of every Vision Class ship to come...

It was ChengP I believe that explained the maintenance schedules, mandatory drydocks/inspections, etc for older ships. I also remember looking back at not only Monarch/Sovereign, but a couple other of the more modern mass market  lines as well. It looks like the sweet spot to remove ships from the fleet is at around 25 years. I'm sure there's capital cost depreciation, elevated maintenance costs, insurance, economies of scale (passenger to public space ratio), revenue producing suites & venues, etc etc etc ... so many things that factor into more expense with some of the older ships. I'd love to find that thread or have Cheng comment again on the "sweet spot" (or so it seems to me anyways) of that approximate 25'ish year plateau.

Enchantment/Rhapsody and Vision coming up to 25 years by 2022 (two more Oasis Class, two more Quantum Class and Icon Class by that time as well). 

And perhaps even more incredibly, it's Voyager's 20th birthday next month!!! 😮

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mugtech said:

So we should see a repositioning cruise by Enchantment from San Jose to Baltimore, perhaps on April 17, 2021, available in early November.

Sometimes they don't have repo cruises.  Majesty doesn't have one when heading to New Orleans soon.

2 minutes ago, Crism said:

Sometimes they don't have repo cruises.  Majesty doesn't have one when heading to New Orleans soon.

Perhaps the problem could be that they would have to do an ABC stop on the way to Baltimore.  Probably why Majesty didn't do a revenue cruise.

2 hours ago, CORKY_Q said:

Did 7 night Canada/New England on Enchantment in Sept. 2005.  It was after the stretch.  This cruise, however, was not out of Baltimore but out of Boston.

Great ship and Baltimore's gain.

Sea ya!

Right after she came out of the shipyard for the stretch, she was homeported in Philadelphia.  I did the 7 night Canada/New England on her, too, but out of Philadelphia.

I sat down and did the math.  For what it cost me to fly the three of us to Miami, hotel, and all of the associated costs, I booked us a Grand Suite on the Enchantment.  Ah, suite suite experience.  Pulling out of our driveway to walking onto the ship = about an hour and a half.  BLISS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Defender1158 said:

Enchantment was our first cruise ship back in 2011.  We were on her three times and have been on Grandeur for five cruises.  A few comparisons...

Enchantment's pool deck is awesome, with two main pools and more deck space than many of the larger ships.  The kid splash zone is primitive compared to newer ships, but enjoyable for small ones.  Enchantment has Boleros, which is used like a mini-Music Hall sometimes and is laid out better than some other Boleros venues, in that you can see the stage from every seat. 

Grandeur was amped up better than Enchantment during their last major drydock, adding two specialty restaurants, a larger CL and the fabulous DL on deck 6 aft. 

Enchantment has one feature that I do not miss.  She is subject to bad pitching during heavy seas.  You can really feel a long, deep pull that can force you to grab something to hold on, especially when near the bow.  I presume this is a result of the 73-foot extension added in 2005.  I only experienced this when in the North Atlantic. 

We have our final Grandeur 12 Nighter scheduled for January 2021.  Sorry to see her go. 

See you then!  😉  

34 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

100% correct imo as well.

It's been a while now (over a year for sure) when talking about Legend's departure vs. Empress coming back, and the upcoming departure of every Vision Class ship to come...

It was ChengP I believe that explained the maintenance schedules, mandatory drydocks/inspections, etc for older ships. I also remember looking back at not only Monarch/Sovereign, but a couple other of the more modern mass market  lines as well. It looks like the sweet spot to remove ships from the fleet is at around 25 years. I'm sure there's capital cost depreciation, elevated maintenance costs, insurance, economies of scale (passenger to public space ratio), revenue producing suites & venues, etc etc etc ... so many things that factor into more expense with some of the older ships. I'd love to find that thread or have Cheng comment again on the "sweet spot" (or so it seems to me anyways) of that approximate 25'ish year plateau.

Enchantment/Rhapsody and Vision coming up to 25 years by 2022 (two more Oasis Class, two more Quantum Class and Icon Class by that time as well). 

And perhaps even more incredibly, it's Voyager's 20th birthday next month!!! 😮

this is also why Carnival has been densifying the Destiny class when refurbishing then into the Sunshine class. It helps them recoup the investment and turn a profit on the older, more midsize ships. 

Edited by UPNYGuy
at 100,000ish GRT, that is a midsize ship

1 hour ago, kruzinkel said:

was on the enchantment a couple weeks ago- heard a crew member say that they were going to get an Izumi.  didn't hear when, tho

That would require a drydock.  Don't know when she's due.  Also, the DL on EN is where Izumi is on GR so not sure where they'd put it unless they move the DL (which would mean also building it in another space) or do away with the Conference Center.  GR took out the CC and put in Giovanni's and Chops several years ago.

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

I wonder how is Dl on her. I liked overflow to South Pacific lounge on Lady G. Gave some additional space to us.

The DL is superior on the Grandeur.  The DL on the Enchantment is in the Viking Crown lounge... but not what you'd think.  You take a walkway to the "2nd floor" of the VCL. It's super small and has may be 25-30 seats, and very crowded. There is no view except of the ceiling.  I did like the live music there on occasion as they had a single artist playing a piano sometimes.  You can stick your head over the edge as it overlooks the VCL.  If you want to have a drink and then walk out into a lounge like on the Grandeur, it is very inconvenient as you have to walk down a long walkway to get to the VCL.  Overall it's a definite downgrade from the DL on the grandeur as the overflow situation is not that great. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, UPNYGuy said:

this is also why Carnival has been densifying the Destiny class when refurbishing then into the Sunshine class. It helps them recoup the investment and turn a profit on the older, more midsize ships. 

If I remember correctly after 20ish yrs the Cruise Ships have do Dry Docks every couple yrs instead of 5, added cost. Think that was Posters point. At least Royal is putting their money into revamping some their newer ships, Oasis, Voyager Classes. 

7 minutes ago, rimmit said:

The DL is superior on the Grandeur.  The DL on the Enchantment is in the Viking Crown lounge... but not what you'd think.  You take a walkway to the "2nd floor" of the VCL. It's super small and has may be 25-30 seats, and very crowded. There is no view except of the ceiling.  I did like the live music there on occasion as they had a single artist playing a piano sometimes.  You can stick your head over the edge as it overlooks the VCL.  If you want to have a drink and then walk out into a lounge like on the Grandeur, it is very inconvenient as you have to walk down a long walkway to get to the VCL.  Overall it's a definite downgrade from the DL on the grandeur as the overflow situation is not that great. 

Yeah, Diamond Lounge was added later. 20+ yrs ago when I made Diamond, wasn't one. We had access to Concierge Lounge. But even that in early 2000's at most you'd see 6-10 Diamond's a sailing,(Top Tier then) on the newest, most Popular sailings. Was on the Brand new ship's Voyager Sailing number #004, and Explorer #008. Miss the days when every Cruise was listed by number she'd done

Will be sad to see the Grandeur go.  We have 2 B2B's on her this year and next plus a couple single.

Was on the Enchantment when she was in Baltimore. Nice ship, but when they stretched her they did not make room in the theater or other venues for the extra passengers. We have cruised on the Oasis and Freedom class but prefer the Grandeur.

Can't imagine the DL being utilized by all like on the Grandeur.

Times change and I guess we will have too also.

8 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yeah, Diamond Lounge was added later. 20+ yrs ago when I made Diamond, wasn't one. We had access to Concierge Lounge. But even that in early 2000's at most you'd see 6-10 Diamond's a sailing,(Top Tier then) on the newest, most Popular sailings. Was on the Brand new ship's Voyager Sailing number #004, and Explorer #008. Miss the days when every Cruise was listed by number she'd done

I remember when they started adding them after they kicked Ds out of the CL.  We were so close to making diamond at the time and were so sad to see that perk go.  Then they announced the DL and we made sure that the first cruise after we made diamond had a DL and not just a Diamond hour event. 

22 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Of course we know the Grandeur has a great DL.  Hopefully they are going to move it to a more favorable place because s we all know Grandeur's DL uses a lot of South Pacific. Will be interesting.

Let me also add that the crew of the Grandeur are the best and hopefully the Enchantment's crew will be also which I am sure they will be.

Edited by retiredgram