Jim_Iain – Edge Live Post – B2B – Greek Islands and West Bound TransAtlantic

Jim_Iain

58 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I also hope you have a smooth crossing.   The last couple of years have had rough seas. You definitely want to be cautious of taking a Northern Crossing.   While I have heard of some calm northern crossing my experience has been the opposite. 

I've also heard that the closer you are do dead center of the ship both up and down as well as front and back the calmer the ride.  

I will be on the southern route, absolutely no northern route for me... my Dad was a sea captain and has warned me off of those waters and the cape... again, thanks!

• Like 1

Thank you for taking us along on your trip!  I find your photography to be fabulous, your photographs make me feel as if I'm visiting right along with you!  Furthermore, your insights about the Edge have definitely upped my excitement level for our upcoming Edge cruise in late March, early April.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've done a number of TA's and the Southern Crossing is generally the calmest.   Some have been so smooth that you hardly knew you were aboard. 

This crossing was rougher than most and we experienced 7-18 Foot waves during the crossing.    Most of the winds were coming from the north so the  predominant movement was from Starboard to Port Roll.  While not the roughest cruise we have been on it was far from calm. 

Just out of Toulon where we were hit with gusts up to 80 MPH and 20 Ft waves, the movement was pronounced and I got a little queasy.   I took 1/2 of a Bonine and it did the trick.    No additional meds were required for the remainder of the cruise.   As a side note a number of the crew reported they were feeling queasy also.

When I first started sailing I was very susceptible to motion sickness.    I found that if I took a motion sickness pill the evening  before the cruise and one the morning of the cruise It would calm down my inner ear and would not experience any discomfort.   I didn't need to take any more for the remainder of the cruise.   I guess over the years I got accustomed to the seas and no long affected (most of the time). 

Maybe others here can jump in and let you know what they use to prevent discomfort.   I see many with patches but have never personally used them.

I have very similar experiences.  We’ve only done the southern route on two previous occasions. Both TAs for us seem to have a day or two of rough seas after leaving the straits of Gibraltar.  After passing the canaries, the seas have been great for us.

I’ve been on 10 cruises.   Started off worrying about motion sickness and did bonine similar to your suggestion.   The last three cruises I forgot to pack it 

Edited by Tommy3putts

3 hours ago, Tommy3putts said:

I have very similar experiences.  We’ve only done the southern route on two previous occasions. Both TAs for us seem to have a day or two of rough seas after leaving the straits of Gibraltar.  After passing the canaries, the seas have been great for us.

I’ve been on 10 cruises.   Started off worrying about motion sickness and did bonine similar to your suggestion.   The last three cruises I forgot to pack it 

I much similar but always have some packed just in case.    I was happy I had the non-drowsey chewabale variety and took 1/2 immediately after feeling a little queerness.    Good news was that they worked in 20-30 minutes and never needed anymore.  

I tried the patches about 30 years ago and they didn't agree with me.   They caused me to really hydrated and I ended up taking it off an throwing it away. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 10:23 AM, LuAnn said:

You're first Greek Island cruise has some great ports that we have not been to either! Will have to look to see if X is doing that route again in the future!!

Yes we are doing this cruise next July. 

I’m slowly adjusting to PCD (post cruise depression).  

Weather in the South Bay has been wonderful with cool nights and 75 F days.  

Fall is beginning and the trees are turning beautiful hues of yellow, orange and red.  Oranges are also ripping- I almost took a couple samples. 

3F24C647-E55E-4BA8-B0C9-676930DDE64C.thumb.jpeg.dce52e89374335471b7a6ccb6eb5ef74.jpeg

9166A537-1811-43FA-9F2E-AE7B4AAAD042.thumb.jpeg.a6bd80e0393e7ed120302dd9e8d29454.jpeg

98C7D718-3042-4F57-8A62-31896D8A85F2.thumb.jpeg.3517e78c950a19be60b38a148d053170.jpeg

FE5DAB21-5550-4078-8316-E2A5EA4DE0A8.thumb.jpeg.0338a4997f9054a35750209ae424f9d3.jpeg

• Like 3

On 11/16/2019 at 4:47 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Had a wonderful flight home but had a weird scheduling issue I have never experienced.    We arrived a a little early.   When we arrived at our gate for our connecting flight we realized our flight was delayed for 40 minutes.   The crew were there and boarded the plane.    About 30 minutes later the agent came in and said that we were to have weak headwinds so they delayed the flight do we would arrive on time.  *****.   They then got approval to leave on time and arrive early.  They then had to summon passengers back to gate.  

For lunch we had pulled pork sliders which were pretty good.  The second flight we had chicken which was as tough as rubber bands.  

No problem with heat and humidity in Detroit 

CDF18344-2190-4850-8BB3-8C88B8567E88.thumb.jpeg.6c5f7d5534015d1e06338df648ac81b9.jpeg

Still have some snow on the ground here in Detroit.  We had almost 10 inches at our Suburban home.  Temps have only reached into the 40's as of now.  Earliest heavy snow I can remember.  

59 minutes ago, gfkcruiser said:

It seems like early for so much snow.   I can say that it was really cold just getting from the plane through the Jetway to the terminal.   I was glad we had packed our Fluffer Jackets.    Living in a moderate temperature we often forget about harsh weather.    I started my walk today with a sweatshirt on this morning and it only lasted 20 minutes before I had to remove it.   

We are experiencing a beautiful fall with lots of color and trees are finally starting to shed their leaves.   

• Like 1

Just catching up on this great thread...

We are now in Sunny but cool Florida for awhile!

I did solve the Chandelier photo query.

Looked up from our table at Cafe al Baccio..and there it was! Will post my photo proof tom 

Love your fall photos. Here in Fla,  it is the beauty of the palm trees, also  nice but can't compare to autumn leaves. I too have a bit of PCD ( love that term!)

On EDGE, beautiful views are almost evetywhere..(except BLU)

Here's the chandelier in Baccio,..Am I correct???

20191122_173230.jpg

Cool.    You got it.     I agree there are so many cool things on Edge that you have to look for to see.   I'm wondering if they are a Dale Chahuliy.    I love his work and have one hanging in our dining room  

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.  

9 hours ago, micheleata said:

Thank you for another great review!  I love all the details!

We are sailing the Edge for the first time March 1, 2020 and are so excited!

PCD,  definitely know what that is...

Thank for your kind words.   I hope you will post some about your March 1 cruise.   Always interesting to hear different perceptions.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, hcat said:

Good colors here in Florida too! Soaking up the sunshine  before heading north!

Now I could use some of those colors.    This year in the SF Bay area has been very colorful.   We normally only have 2 season  -   Green and Brown but this year we had a really long fall. 

Having said that,   We had our first rain of the season over the Thanksgiving Weekend.   We went out to dinner on Wednesday and a torrential downpour hit -  with all the fallen leaves the sewers backed up and I had to wade through 18" of water to get my car out of the parking lot.   Ugh....

6 hours ago, Luv2Crus40 said:

Have you taken any TAs from Southhampton on an "M" Class Ship?  If so, when, so I can look up that review.

Thanks again for taking us with you on this TA, look forward to your next cruise/review.

The Celebrity Silhouette Boston Broadway & Bermuda in Jim’s signature sailed from Southampton, on 11/3/18 but that was an S class ship. 

We sailed on an M class ship in 2013, but that left Harwich ( East of London).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Now I could use some of those colors.    This year in the SF Bay area has been very colorful.   We normally only have 2 season  -   Green and Brown but this year we had a really long fall. 

Having said that,   We had our first rain of the season over the Thanksgiving Weekend.   We went out to dinner on Wednesday and a torrential downpour hit -  with all the fallen leaves the sewers backed up and I had to wade through 18" of water to get my car out of the parking lot.   Ugh....

A bit of rain here in Fl overnight....but snow is expected today in NY.  We'll be heading back for all  the holidays soon and to our new snowblower..ugh!

Next cruise  is not til May on Summit...Bayonne to Bewport Charleston and Bermuda.!

What's  next for you? 

I’m just catching up on your wonderful blog. As always, your review is so helpful, and your photos are amazing. We sailed to the Aegean on our first cruise (Millie 2006) and we’re finally returning in May (Edge). Your photos remind me how much I loved the region. Thank you🌺

Edited by Silkroad

On 12/1/2019 at 7:00 PM, Luv2Crus40 said:

Have you taken any TAs from Southhampton on an "M" Class Ship?  If so, when, so I can look up that review.

Thanks again for taking us with you on this TA, look forward to your next cruise/review.

Yes-   Link below.    It was a nice cruise but quite rough.    There was a major storm in North Atlantic and we were forced as well as Queen Mary (in front of us) and Edge (in back of us) to go south of the Azores.    That made us one day late into Boston and all ports were slipped one day and Bahamas were cancelled.

On 12/2/2019 at 3:44 AM, hcat said:

A bit of rain here in Fl overnight....but snow is expected today in NY.  We'll be heading back for all  the holidays soon and to our new snowblower..ugh!

Next cruise  is not til May on Summit...Bayonne to Bewport Charleston and Bermuda.!

What's  next for you? 

Looks like NY will be COLD.   I sure don't miss that.    I was born in Syracuse and lived both Upstate and on Long Island.  Once I moved to California I don't even visit the snow.  We ***** and moan when the temperatures drop below 50.  I know... I know ... we are wimps.

Our next cruise is currently scheduled on Equinox March 14 - 7 night Eastern Caribbean.  It was our free Zenith cruise and we will probably add on another cruise either just before or after.   I'm playing a game and waiting to close to cruise (after final payment) to hunt for a good rate.

I like the cruise your taking - 

On 12/2/2019 at 3:44 AM, hcat said:

What's  next for you? 

Darn double posts

Edited by Jim_Iain