World Cruise Yellow Fever

Clipper Chick

We went on an Amazon cruise in January (not P&O) and told we would need the vac but when you check with WHO you don't need yellow fever if you're over 60yr or if you have had the vaccination before (we had) it used to have to be renewed every 10yr but that has change, you'll get all the information on the internet.

10 hours ago, Clipper Chick said:

Hi I went to get vaccinations for Jan world cruise and they seem to think we do not need yellow fever. Cruise Personaliser is as clear as mud. Anyone done a world cruise and know for sure.

Many thanks

Mandy

See https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/yellow-fever/ where it says:

"Yellow fever is found in:

• most of sub-Saharan Africa (the area below the Sahara desert)
  • most of South America
  • parts of Central America
  • parts of the Caribbean

It isn't found in the UK, Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand or the Pacific Islands.

Some countries near to areas where yellow fever is found may require a proof of vaccination certificate when visiting, even if there's no risk of picking up the infection in these countries."

See also  https://nathnacyfzone.org.uk/factsheet/60/yellow-fever-maps

I don't know about the World Cruise but we had to have it when we did the Round South America trip last year on Aurora.  We read the usual warning about people over 60 but we went to see our Practice Travel Sister and she said she could see no reason why we shouldn't have it - we're both over 70.  She also said that in all her time giving this vaccination she'd never known anyone have a reaction.  We were lucky in that our surgery, although in a small village, is one of the Vaccination centres.  So we both had the jab and neither of us had any reaction at all.  We also had to produce our Yellow Fever Certificates when we boarded in Southampton and these were kept for the duration of the voyage by P&O.

We had it at sixty,  no problems.  Worthwhile, keep it in passport , because some countries will not let you in if you've been to a yellow  fever area, without it. Even if the visit was a few years ago. Once some borders officials have said no , the facts and rules are irrelevant it's all about face.

16 hours ago, Clipper Chick said:

Hi I went to get vaccinations for Jan world cruise and they seem to think we do not need yellow fever. Cruise Personaliser is as clear as mud. Anyone done a world cruise and know for sure.

Many thanks

Mandy

We were on the world cruise in 2016 and 2017, and did not require a yellow fever vaccination. We did require it for the South America cruise last year, so we are covered regardless now. We are back on the RWC in 2019. I do not think the vaccine is a pre-requisite for boarding in January.  

7 hours ago, Lesanne said:

We are on this cruise Jan 2020 and you do not need Yellow fever as confirmed with our doctor and travel nurse. We are only transiting the Panama Canal and not stopping

Thank you for your reply.  I was getting a bit panicky because someone who was on Marella Explorer with us in May had said they had to cancel the world cruise as they were over 60 and could not have the yellow fever jab.  Boots pharmacy had looked up the info in our consultation but I was still unsure did not wish to turn up at Southampton and be turned away all for a little research.  I did find in FAQs P&O list the cruises that require a yellow fever certificate.

Am busy packing for a Celebrity Silhouette transatlantic on Thursday coming home on QM2.  I travel with my father.

See you in January. 

Mandy

Mosquitos can fly and get on board ship....I was bitten mid Mediterranean (Clipper Chick - on the Celebrity Silhouette!) ! Some countries eg Bahrain where I go for work insist on proof of Vax if you have been anywhere YF may be. Best to be safe.