Need some info

Freshness

I will be sailing the Caribbean in November on the holland america nieuw statendam. I never been on holland this will be my first time.

Ok so what kind of drinks are included for free on this ship I heard lots of different things we don't drink alchohol so I don't care about those drinks.

Main dining food on other cruise lines main dining food is all you can eat so if you want extra you always get it no extra cost does Holland do the same thing.

Do things really close before midnight.

We are a group of young adults will we be the only young ones

How does Holland compare to royal Caribbean 

I have been sailing with HAL for well over 30 years.  Have i tried other lines, yes and enjoyed them, but always come back to HAL where i find I am at home on HAL. 

With that said, my family of 17 or so and i sailed on HAL’s Koningsdam last March, which is sister ship to the NS.  Our age group was from 23 years old all the way up to 80+....everyone had such a great time on this ship that most re-booked for 2021 on the Nieuw Statendam.

Free drinks are lemonade, iced tea, juices in the morning, coffee, assorted hot teas, glasses of water With your meals.  If i missed any I am sure someone will chime in.

Dining room foods, yes you can order all you want at no charge.

Entertainment on the K’dam we found to be good, I think better than some other ships I have sailed.   They have the Music Walk where you will find BBKing’s, Rolling Rock Room, dueling pianos and some great shows in the Center Stage, oh and movies under the stars.  Funny the 20 somethings were first to book the next cruise as they had so much fun, the older folks followed suit.

I think you will enjoy the NS, just don’t sweat the small stuff, go with an open mind, you

will have a great time.

That’s my opinion on the new Pinnacle Class ships.......

• Like 3

We are experienced HAL cruisers but I just got off a short Carnival cruise. While I will say the Carnival cruise was more fun, especially on the pool deck, every other aspect of the cruise was better on HAL - especially food, service, and entertainment. 

Granted, I am a generation older than you - so the lack of fun on the pool deck will likely adversely affect you more than me. That said, a group of young adults should be able to create their own fun anywhere, so I expect you will have a great time. You all will be outnumbered by the older folks, but it won't be completely devoid of young adults.

More than anything else, it will be about your attitude going in. If you go on looking for a good time, you'll have it. Enjoy!!!

Honestly I think there is a huge difference between Hal and royal.  Hal is much quieter and yes the ship starts to close down around 10:30, some nights earlier.  

we’ve done several Hal, and switched to royal and couldn’t be happier.  We like the noise at the pool and the music and games.  Love the shows, trivia and game shows.  I love that at 10:30 at night I can sit on the promenade and listen to music and there are still people out and about.  

Love the Pinnacle Class ships with the various music venues.  Last year on the NS, the ship did not close down at 10:30!  

Tried various other cruise lines, love HAL.  I'm not in your age demographic, but have many friends who are...

21 hours ago, Freshness said:

I heard the coffee you get for free also includes the fancy coffees is that true 

Unfortunately no, you can get the fancy coffees from Explorations Cafe.  In fact, on my last cruise, DH brought me coffee nearly every day from Explorations.

15 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

Milk is also available for free in the Lido Market at breakfast.

We also get milk with dinner (upon request).

20 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Can one get plain coffee (with cream or milk) free "anytime" or is that just during meals?

Thanks!

GC

As far as I know.

Coffee w/ Pinnacle Grill is better than the coffee in the MDR.

We've cruised w/ both Royal Caribbean and Holland America to the Diamond Plus/Four Star level and prefer Holland America.  While Royal Caribbean does offer free laundry at Diamond Plus, they put so many strings on it that it's not worth it.  For Holland America, it's unlimited daily laundry.   This laundry special is the main reason we pick HAL these days.

Royal Caribbean's Diamond + BOGO for Specialty Dining is just for nights 1 and 2, while Holland America's Four Star 50% off Specialty dining is every night, and also at lunch when they offer it.

We sailed the Nieuw Amsterdam last year, and enjoyed it.  We do wish they hadn't decided to move the Specialty Coffee Bar to the Crow's Nest, we preferred it on deck 3.

Also, HAL has much more space in the MDR.    HAL is much quieter.  No loud music like you'll find in the Centrum on Royal Ships.

Neptune Lounge is for Neptune Suite guests and up only.  No worries about a hundred guests packing the place at Happy Hour like on Royal Caribbean ships.

HAL is a couple of steps up from Royal Caribbean.

9 hours ago, Spunky946 said:

ship starts to close down around 10:30, some nights earlier.  

I haven’t been on a ship yet that closes down at 10:30.

In fact on our Hawaii, Tahiti, Marquesas cruise, Stryker (our piano man) was getting worn as he was going way past 1 AM. 😉 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, kazu said:

In fact on our Hawaii, Tahiti, Marquesas cruise, Stryker (our piano man) was getting worn as he was going way past 1 AM. 😉 

The one night on our last cruise the piano players weren’t playing that night and the only thing to do was bb kings, which we didn’t want to do.  We miss the games and trivia and other things on Royal.  Just decided we are no longer Hal people.

4 Star, 112 sea days, this has been my experience.  I am 66 and my wife is 59, except for the crew, 80+ % of the cruisers are older than us, and the rest are about our age.  I often walk around the ships after 11PM, taking photos of the ship, best time for that as I rarely see another human.  HAL became our favorite line because it is so quite on board, very few children, the loud drunk is rare.

The burger place makes excellent burgers and hot dogs, and they're included!  I think it's called the Dive-In.  On the Nieuw Amsterdam, the Dive In is in the forward part of the pool deck.  Very convenient since we had a room just off the forward elevator.  

Edited by knittinggirl

You're sailing on the newest ship in the HAL fleet, Nieuw Statendam, a real beauty.  No, the ship will NOT shut down at 10:30 P.M., as Music Walk musicians are still performing.  Since Rolling Stones Rock Room and Billboard Onboard are across from each other, these musicians play a set in one lounge, and the minute that show is over (45 minute sets) the other musicians across the deck begin their show.  BB King's Blues Club plays in the section behind these two venues.  Their shows have sets that stagger these other two shows.  Lincoln Center Stage plays before and during the dinner hours.  On Nieuw Statendam, these very talented classical musicians rarely played after 8 P.M.  

A DJ takes over in the Queen's Lounge (Lincoln Center Stage and BB King's venue) after BB King's last set.  My son, who is 33 and single, rarely came back to our cabin until 1-1:30 a.m., so if you want nightlife, you can find it aboard this ship.  My only complaint with NS is its narrow Promenade Deck.  Please don't miss New York Deli (Reuben sandwich with extra meat) or Dutch Café, which has free food selections.  The quiche is marvelous.  Although Gelato sells ice cream, you can get free ice cream at the Lido Marketplace with limited flavors.  Gelato has exotic flavors for a reasonable price and generous servings.  Dive In serves marvelous burgers and hotdogs.  Only time during the year I'll eat a hotdog is aboard ship.  Yum!

At night, the huge screen by the Lido main pool shows recently released DVD movies which are also available on your TV the next day.  Your TV will also have an inventory of movies, all free.  NY Deli serves popcorn, pizza, soft pretzels, and chicken wings during the movies.  All free.  

We first sailed on NS last Christmas and will sail her again this Christmas/New Year's.  Obviously, we loved the experience.  I think you will too.  Come back and let us know about your experience and impressions.  Have a fabulous cruise.

46 minutes ago, Freshness said:

What about the sauna. I heard it has one is it free or do you have to pay

It's part of the thermal suite.  Yes, it does cost; however, there may also be a free one.  I do not recall seeing a free steam room or free sauna.   Ask at the desk in the spa.

You can buy one-day or cruise-length pass to thermal suite and heated pool.  Check prices before leaving home.  If you purchase a pass prior to the cruise and find the spa discounts the price on embarkation day, ask them to credit you the difference.

On 10/18/2019 at 5:33 PM, kazu said:

I loved Stryker when we were on a transatlantic with him a few years back. Every seat was taken, night after night. He’s by far my favorite piano man on HAL.

57 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

You're sailing on the newest ship in the HAL fleet, Nieuw Statendam, a real beauty.  No, the ship will NOT shut down at 10:30 P.M., as Music Walk musicians are still performing.  Since Rolling Stones Rock Room and Billboard Onboard are across from each other, these musicians play a set in one lounge, and the minute that show is over (45 minute sets) the other musicians across the deck begin their show.  BB King's Blues Club plays in the section behind these two venues.  Their shows have sets that stagger these other two shows.  Lincoln Center Stage plays before and during the dinner hours.  On Nieuw Statendam, these very talented classical musicians rarely played after 8 P.M.  

A DJ takes over in the Queen's Lounge (Lincoln Center Stage and BB King's venue) after BB King's last set.  My son, who is 33 and single, rarely came back to our cabin until 1-1:30 a.m., so if you want nightlife, you can find it aboard this ship.  My only complaint with NS is its narrow Promenade Deck.  Please don't miss New York Deli (Reuben sandwich with extra meat) or Dutch Café, which has free food selections.  The quiche is marvelous.  Although Gelato sells ice cream, you can get free ice cream at the Lido Marketplace with limited flavors.  Gelato has exotic flavors for a reasonable price and generous servings.  Dive In serves marvelous burgers and hotdogs.  Only time during the year I'll eat a hotdog is aboard ship.  Yum!

At night, the huge screen by the Lido main pool shows recently released DVD movies which are also available on your TV the next day.  Your TV will also have an inventory of movies, all free.  NY Deli serves popcorn, pizza, soft pretzels, and chicken wings during the movies.  All free.  

We first sailed on NS last Christmas and will sail her again this Christmas/New Year's.  Obviously, we loved the experience.  I think you will too.  Come back and let us know about your experience and impressions.  Have a fabulous cruise.

Great description of the NS! Reading it made me want to take a look at upcoming holiday sailings on her. I found that ship to be the liveliest of HAL vessels we’ve sailed on.