UBP Best Drinks for Light Drinker

salty dingo

We have the UBP and one of us (not me 🍹) is a light drinker. Occasional glass of wine or margarita once in a while.

I'm looking for some ideas for girl-friendly, low or no alcohol drinks onboard. I have heard the virgin mudslide is good. Are there any other recommendations?

I've found that the frozen drinks tend to be the lightest pours (also most frozen drinks can be done virgin). Also the daily drinks as those are premixed (but I usually avoid them because of the premixed factor). 

Other drinks that would have varying potency based on bartender but tend to be labeled girly are mai tais and bahama mamas. 

Also most bars will have pineapple juice, orange juice, and cranberry juice so she could just order combos of those with no alcohol. 

40 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Other drinks that would have varying potency based on bartender but tend to be labeled girly are mai tais and bahama mamas. 

Had to laugh at this one. My husband loves mai tais. 

Cheers! 🍹 

PS: I can't believe we are calling drinks "girly" in 2019! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What does she drink normally?  They can make almost any mixed drinks "lighter" or with no alcohol.

If she just wants fruity drinks, they have lots of premixed stuff - she can get whatever she likes and she can tell them to put little or no alcohol in them.  

Or, she can just drink wine and margaritas.  She may want to try a mojito - those seem lighter than most drinks, at least in my opinion 🙂  There are tons of flavor options available at the Mojito bar!

3 minutes ago, mets07 said:

Had to laugh at this one. My husband loves mai tais. 

Cheers! 🍹 

PS: I can't believe we are calling drinks "girly" in 2019! 

🍹

I agree. My male friend is often ordering both drinks I mentioned. When I'm looking for a different drink than what I normally order I use the word "fruity". A lot of the "girly" drinks pack a wallop of a punch with multiple liquors hiding behind a nice flavor. 

The pre mixed generally have more calories. Vodka and club is a refreshing light drink . The bartenders are very accommodating .Then can also suggest drink once you let them know your preference. A benefit of the  UBP is that if you don.t  like the drink , just order another one! Enjoy!

5 minutes ago, Joken35 said:

The pre mixed generally have more calories. Vodka and club is a refreshing light drink . The bartenders are very accommodating .Then can also suggest drink once you let them know your preference. A benefit of the  UBP is that if you don.t  like the drink , just order another one! Enjoy!

I also like Vodka and soda as a lower calorie drink, but ask for a splash of cranberry juice and a lime. Makes the drink seem a little bit more special/girly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HowardK said:

dark and stormy and then maybe a rum and coke- best thinkg to do if you are a light drinker is to train for the cruise and make some of your own drinks and have  few in the preceeding months

Thanks for the tips, everyone. We're headed to Bermuda and a dark and stormy is the national beverage there, I believe. We'll definitely have to have that. Or just keep trying things until we find something that works.

She can get the regular ginger beer on the program as well.  The ship will have cans of Gosling's.  I love ginger beer, just a stronger gingery ginger ale.  Also she can get Bloody Mary's without the alcohol which are great if you are tired of sweet drinks. 

I’m not a big drinker - and I ask for less alcohol or a bigger glass.   I love the rebellious fish, Bahama mama and the rest of those fruity drinks.   The bar between Cagneys and Moderno serves this awesome alcoholic strawberry cocktail (using fresh strawberries) - can’t remember the name of the drink but it’s the signature cocktail of Moderno.  

16 minutes ago, Justaboutretired said:

I’m not a big drinker - and I ask for less alcohol or a bigger glass.   I love the rebellious fish, Bahama mama and the rest of those fruity drinks.   The bar between Cagneys and Moderno serves this awesome alcoholic strawberry cocktail (using fresh strawberries) - can’t remember the name of the drink but it’s the signature cocktail of Moderno.  

I second the Rebellious Fish...it is usually the drink of the day on the first sea day (or second day of the cruise). Like others mentioned, just ask for less alcohol.  Mudslides (both virgin and otherwise) are also a favorite.  On my Sun cruise in June, they had Frose, which was a slushy Rose...I am sure it had minimal alcohol but was really good!

I am going to ask for that Moderno signature cocktail on my Getaway cruise in 31 days...that sounds delicious!

44 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

I second the Rebellious Fish...it is usually the drink of the day on the first sea day (or second day of the cruise). Like others mentioned, just ask for less alcohol.  Mudslides (both virgin and otherwise) are also a favorite.  On my Sun cruise in June, they had Frose, which was a slushy Rose...I am sure it had minimal alcohol but was really good!

I am going to ask for that Moderno signature cocktail on my Getaway cruise in 31 days...that sounds delicious!

Depends on how they make it. Most of the bars around me add some liquor to help keep it from freezing solid. Usually are more potent than just a glass of rose! But delicious. 

5 hours ago, salty dingo said:

Thanks for the tips, everyone. We're headed to Bermuda and a dark and stormy is the national beverage there, I believe. We'll definitely have to have that. Or just keep trying things until we find something that works.

4 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

She can get the regular ginger beer on the program as well.  The ship will have cans of Gosling's.  I love ginger beer, just a stronger gingery ginger ale.  Also she can get Bloody Mary's without the alcohol which are great if you are tired of sweet drinks. 

Last time we cruised NCL to Bermuda (2018) a Dark and Stormy was priced over the amount allowed in the drinks plan. There was a surcharge.

Also, don't be surprised if you get told that ginger beer will cost you because it isn't a fountain soda. That one is definately a YMMV. 

I also liked woodford reserve- it was in a movie a saw and they had it at tobacco road- but since then it was added to the premium list 😞

I would say the best part of the UBP is being able to try something new and if you don't like it- simply don't finish it.

On 10/17/2019 at 8:31 PM, salty dingo said:

That's the beauty of the UBP!  I'm not a huge drinker either, but I like to try different things...experiment.  With the UBP, I can grab a drink, take a few sips, decide if I like it, and if not, order something else.  This go-round, I intend to try some of the straighter, harder liquors, like whiskey, bourbon, cognac, etc.  If I decide that I am not a hard-liquor girl, no worries! I'll just get a Mr. Worldwide instead. lol

Edited by kayjaypea42

On 10/17/2019 at 11:00 AM, salty dingo said:

We have the UBP and one of us (not me 🍹) is a light drinker. Occasional glass of wine or margarita once in a while.

I'm looking for some ideas for girl-friendly, low or no alcohol drinks onboard. I have heard the virgin mudslide is good. Are there any other recommendations?

Fireball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!