Cruise Critic Community
ghstudio

Veendam Halifax ...we’re here but can’t get off

There seems to be only one gangway and it’s broken!  It broke just after lunch...and is still broken and closed at 4pm.   Not Hal’s fault but very frustrating that there appears to be no backup.  No idea how the folks stranded on shore will get back...and those of us waiting for better weather after lunch now can’t get off.

hals only failure was that it took them about 45 minutes to announce the problem, so people dressed for shore and went to the gangway to find that it was closed with no idea when/if it would open again....and workers on the dock and ship seem to be wandering around with no leadership...no Hal officer visible near the gangway although one hopes they are trying to get it fixed.  it would be nice to hear something from the captain...

we are here overnight with bar harbor port cancelled due to rough seas.  We are going directly to Boston.

Edited by ghstudio

Glad they got it fixed.  I was going to ask if it was possible to turn the ship around and use the gangway on the other side.  It would take a while.

Sorry that you will miss Bar Harbor due to bad weather.  The winds along the east coast have been quite bad the last couple of days.  We have had trees come down and knock out power.

54 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

Update....finally fixed at 4:15

Good news.  Don’t know if the winds there had anything to with it or not.

It’s pretty windy here in New Brunswick - nearly sub tropical storm level so a lot of people without power and for sure, trees will be down.

Probably best to stay hunkered down in Halifax overnight than try to get to Bar Harbor.  

The shore-side gangway at Halifax' Pier 20 is not one of the more modern ones, unlike the much more maneuverable ones at Port Everglades, Vancouver, San Diego, Seattle, etc. It's kinda rinky-dink looking with the last part, the part that connects/goes into the ship, having to be bought in with a block and tackle set-up. Glad to hear they were able to fix it

2 hours ago, wesport said:

Cyclone Bomb expected to hit the northeast.

Expected?  It’s already here 😉   It’s been here all day.  It should leave shortly, I hope.

4 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Glad they got it fixed.  I was going to ask if it was possible to turn the ship around and use the gangway on the other side.  It would take a while.

Sorry that you will miss Bar Harbor due to bad weather.  The winds along the east coast have been quite bad the last couple of days.  We have had trees come down and knock out power.

Why would they want to turn the ship around in Halifax, costing lots of time, effort and $$, when the problem was with the shore-side gangway? HAL ships do not use their own (ship's) gangways there, nor do they in Montreal, Quebec City and Boston on the Canada/NE runs

On 10/17/2019 at 7:47 PM, kazu said:

Expected?  It’s already here 😉   It’s been here all day.  It should leave shortly, I hope.

Kazu - not sure where in NB you are, but it was absolutely crazy here near Fredericton with wind and rain and then all of a sudden, there was no wind at all moving the flags outside our office building and the sun started peeking through.  Had a rather abrupt ending - but there were thousands without power (luckily I didn't lose mine).  

Just now, Shih-tzu said:

Kazu - not sure where in NB you are, but it was absolutely crazy here near Fredericton with wind and rain and then all of a sudden, there was no wind at all moving the flags outside our office building and the sun started peeking through.  Had a rather abrupt ending - but there were thousands without power (luckily I didn't lose mine).  

Sorry to hear that 

We’re near the Bay of Fundy and you know what joy that brings.  Trees down everywhere.  Lots without power - way too many but it was because of the trees - not NB Power’s fault.  Our storm was long and went on until after midnight.  (Storms love to stall on the Bay of Fundy ‘sigh’).

So glad to hear you didn’t lose your power.  That’s a plus in these things 🙂😉 

1 minute ago, kazu said:

Sorry to hear that 

We’re near the Bay of Fundy and you know what joy that brings.  Trees down everywhere.  Lots without power - way too many but it was because of the trees - not NB Power’s fault.  Our storm was long and went on until after midnight.  (Storms love to stall on the Bay of Fundy ‘sigh’).

So glad to hear you didn’t lose your power.  That’s a plus in these things 🙂😉 

Was brought up on the Fundy shore - could see it from our house..... so I truly do know the joy that brings.... cold, fog, fog, and some fog.....

On 10/17/2019 at 3:45 PM, Krazy Kruizers said:

A shame, HAL didn't sell off Veendam before Statendam.   They better start giving her fabulous itinerearies if  they want  t

o fill cab ins  We had some 70 mph winds and a tree beside my diveway (wheer my car was parked) split in half down center of trunk.   Huge logs,mostly fell  into street and sidewalk but some of the lighter branches landed on the trunk of my car.  I was so lucky as it could have been a real mess.  It was a pain in the neck to settle into who would clear it for me....    I  finally called my  landscaper and he had a truck and workers with    chain saws    clean it all up by  7:15 a.m....     glad  I iddn't  bother with  tree company for that as they s o were swamped with  huge numers of people needing help.Insurance adjuster  saw the car already,     Very little damage and entirely drivablle  It 's a nice car so of course I'll  have it repaired  right away.SEAS  were insanely rough.

Edited by sail7seas

21 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

A shame, HAL didn't sell off Veendam before Statendam.   They better start giving her fabulous itinerearies if  they want  to fill cabins.

This problem was not the fault of the Veendam.  In some ports, ships are required to use the gangways provided by the ports.  As Cooper 10-8 stated, Halifax is one such port, and if the port’s gangway malfunctions, the ship is not to blame.

We spent 67 days on the Veendam this summer ending with 12 day TA.  In Halifax, I was not impressed with the gangway or with the fact you had to walk a long way through the terminal to access the exit and then access the gangway upon return to the ship.

BTW, after the latest drydock this spring, the Veendam is in great shape and looking very bright, clean and fresh. There were no problems with the a/c.  As with anything mechanical, we had a couple of things in the bathroom break, but they were quickly replaced with new parts. That can happen on a ship of any age.

16 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

This problem was not the fault of the Veendam.  In some ports, ships are required to use the gangways provided by the ports.  As Cooper 10-8 stated, Halifax is one such port, and if the port’s gangway malfunctions, the ship is not to blame.

We spent 67 days on the Veendam this summer ending with 12 day TA.  In Halifax, I was not impressed with the gangway or with the fact you had to walk a long way through the terminal to access the exit and then access the gangway upon return to the ship.

BTW, after the latest drydock this spring, the Veendam is in great shape and looking very bright, clean and fresh. There were no problems with the a/c.  As with anything mechanical, we had a couple of things in the bathroom break, but they were quickly replaced with new parts. That can happen on a ship of any age.

What used to be a most pleasant aft pool area should now be blocked off and not used.  IMO  

AS to the long  walk through  the terminal in Halifax, I have always (during a great many visits) , enjoyed the port so much,  it hardly registers for me about a walk through  the   terminal  to get  to the street, or in the reverse through the r to the terminal  to the gangway to board the ship.    No big  deal, to me.  Halifax is high on my personal   list of favorite  ports.

Edited by sail7seas