Cruise Critic Community
lisa6191

USB ports in cabins on Explorer?

Does the Explorer have separate USB ports in cabins? 

Related question, I know you are not allowed to bring extension cords on the ship. Are you allowed to bring the multi-outlet/usb hub units that plug directly into the outlet without a cord? I know they can't be surge protected. And would any of them even fit though? It seems like the outlets are in kind of a tight space.

13 minutes ago, lisa6191 said:

Are you allowed to bring the multi-outlet/usb hub units that plug directly into the outlet without a cord? 

Not unless it's a new cabin added after her last dry dock.

Yes.

1 hour ago, lisa6191 said:

Related question, I know you are not allowed to bring extension cords on the ship. Are you allowed to bring the multi-outlet/usb hub units that plug directly into the outlet without a cord? I know they can't be surge protected. And would any of them even fit though? It seems like the outlets are in kind of a tight space.

This all depends on the security, one will let it pass another will flag it as contraband. Bring it, at the worst they will keep it until you disembark.

If they get the same phone system as Navigator in the upcoming dry dock those Ethernet PoE phones have a USB on their side.  

I'm going next month so it's whatever they have now. Have people had success plugging in the non-corded adapters? In the Amazon reviews there were several people saying it didn't fit, but I don't know which ships they were talking about.

2 hours ago, lisa6191 said:

Check under the lamps next to the beds.  We found some of those had been added to existing staterooms on Adventure.

2 hours ago, lisa6191 said:

I'm going next month so it's whatever they have now. Have people had success plugging in the non-corded adapters? In the Amazon reviews there were several people saying it didn't fit, but I don't know which ships they were talking about.

We've been sailing with a 4 USB port one for many cruises, and it's never even been looked at.

2 hours ago, alfaeric said:

We've been sailing with a 4 USB port one for many cruises, and it's never even been looked at.

I'm more worried about it fitting than about it being confiscated. Several of them seem like they might be too wide for the space.

9 hours ago, lisa6191 said:

I'm more worried about it fitting than about it being confiscated. Several of them seem like they might be too wide for the space.

Your steward can get you  an extension cord to account for that.

9 hours ago, lisa6191 said:

We still use it because it fits and works....  And there is still room to use the second outlet.

Lisa6191, I hope you'll write a brief, but detailed post or review about the USB port ability but also about the electrical outlet placement in the cabin (and which type of cabin you stayed in), because I'm also interested in the answer and going on Explorer prior to the upcoming dry dock for it. 

19 minutes ago, Ellis1138 said:

Lisa6191, I hope you'll write a brief, but detailed post or review about the USB port ability but also about the electrical outlet placement in the cabin (and which type of cabin you stayed in), because I'm also interested in the answer and going on Explorer prior to the upcoming dry dock for it. 

I will try to remember to do that! Sailing in 14 days. We are in a Spacious Ocean View Balcony (have a Royal Up bid in for a Grand Suite but I'm sure there's no way we are getting that LOL). I purchased one of the multi usb hubs that plug directly into the wall so we will see how that goes.

On 10/17/2019 at 8:11 PM, lisa6191 said:

There was a USB port in our cabin next to the kettle.

I tried my USB cable but it didn't charge my phone.

We have our USB cable in a plug and plugged that into a socket to charge our Android phones.

I am currently on Explorer @Ellis1138

She has the old black phones with no USB port at the moment. 

There is a usb on the left side of the TV but it will only charge when the tv is turned on.

There are no USB ports on the deck but I have a uk plug adaptor that I use in the Euro socket which has 2 USB ports and this has worked perfectly.  
There is an old fashioned modem port on the desk, that was probably high tech when the ship was built! 
Balcony deck 8 

Edited by little britain

Thank you @little britain

We'll be in a Grand Suite and both of us use CPAP machines and have cell phones, and my husband has a Nintendo switch, so it seems like we'll need USB adapters. I'm hoping the power outlets are near the beds and that there's enough for the 2 machines, because I read that RC doesn't let you have an extension cord, even if it's non-surge. We usually go on NCL, which does let you bring the non-surge cords.

6 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

Thank you @little britain

We'll be in a Grand Suite and both of us use CPAP machines and have cell phones, and my husband has a Nintendo switch, so it seems like we'll need USB adapters. I'm hoping the power outlets are near the beds and that there's enough for the 2 machines, because I read that RC doesn't let you have an extension cord, even if it's non-surge. We usually go on NCL, which does let you bring the non-surge cords.

Let RC know what special requirements you need and they will supply them for you.