Paper Money Problems

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Are your £10 notes paper or polymer? It isn't good if the Aust Post Office has recently handed out paper notes.

The UK government website states that the polymer notes were introduced starting in 2016 with a £5 note. They have now issued £10 polymer notes, with £20 notes to be issued in polymer in 2020 and £50 by the end of 2021.

Thanks for this, I had another look and the 50's are paper and the ten are plastic.

I didn't know they were a mixture. No need now to exchange them or visit the Post office on my return.

It must be the stress of the big trip and my attention to detail is slipping. 😲

3 minutes ago, sewgood said:

Thanks for this, I had another look and the 50's are paper and the ten are plastic.

I didn't know they were a mixture. No need now to exchange them or visit the Post office on my return.

It must be the stress of the big trip and my attention to detail is slipping. 😲

That's OK. It is as I expected. I didn't think the Post Office would be selling currency that was out-dated some time ago, possible two to three years.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Anyone who hasn't been to the UK for 9 years or more.The 20 note with a picture of Elgar on the back,bloke with big moustache,were withdrawn in 2010.Surprising how these still pop up now and then.

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Anyone who hasn't been to the UK for 9 years or more.The 20 note with a picture of Elgar on the back,bloke with big moustache,were withdrawn in 2010.Surprising how these still pop up now and then.

I hope it was done with appropriate pomp and circumstance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

It is £5 and £10 that are out-dated and not accepted. New polymer £20 notes go into circulation in 2020, but they won't refuse the old notes immediately. When we tried to use our £5s and £10s in mid 2018, they had been replaced by polymer notes two years earlier. I assume you mean you will be in the UK in mid June 2020. You will probably be able to use them as I am sure they won't refuse the old notes immediately.

Thanks. Yes, we arrive in Dover 19th June. 

On 10/19/2019 at 6:47 AM, Aus Traveller said:

It is £5 and £10 that are out-dated and not accepted. New polymer £20 notes go into circulation in 2020, but they won't refuse the old notes immediately. When we tried to use our £5s and £10s in mid 2018, they had been replaced by polymer notes two years earlier. I assume you mean you will be in the UK in mid June 2020. You will probably be able to use them as I am sure they won't refuse the old notes immediately.

as a follow on ....

We also got some 50 pound notes which are so old they are also being rejected but can be changed at the bank.  Not all of them just some of them .... Don't ask me to describe what it is about the actual note, but the checkout chick at Tesco called over the Supervisor who very politely advised me how to go about exchanging the notes.

Lesson to be learned - try to get polymer where possible.

🧝‍♂️  😎

Forgery seems to have always been a problem in Britain. Back in 1984 on my first visit to the UK , any high value notes had to pass through an infra red light at checkouts before being accepted , and smaller retailers refused to accept them.

14 hours ago, brian1 said:

Yeah,a little bit of glory yesterday,a glimmer of hope against the ABs next week and no hope at all for our Parliament,lol.

You will regret leaving the EU Brian, trust me my friend.

19 hours ago, Dobby_The_Ship_Elf said:

as a follow on ....

We also got some 50 pound notes which are so old they are also being rejected but can be changed at the bank.  Not all of them just some of them .... Don't ask me to describe what it is about the actual note, but the checkout chick at Tesco called over the Supervisor who very politely advised me how to go about exchanging the notes.

Lesson to be learned - try to get polymer where possible.

🧝‍♂️  😎

You should have spent those 'so old notes' before you returned from Queen Victoria's wedding.🤣

Edited by NSWP

5 minutes ago, Dobby_The_Ship_Elf said:

Just how old do you think Mrs Elf is?????????

You are stepping on shaky ground there Mic ...........🧝‍♂️   😎

Aren't elves supposed to be immortal? At least Tolkien implies the ones in Lord of the Rings are.