Outdoor Decks on Veendam

AryMay

We will be on the Veendam for the first time in a couple of weeks. I was looking over the deck plans and wondered about some of the outdoor decks/observation areas. With an inside cabin, we will be looking for places to be outdoors for sea days and sail away, etc. Can anyone give me a little more information on the following:

1. Is the area at the front of the gym easily accessible? Also, how about the deck above the Crow's Nest. I don't see it on the deck plan, but from looking at photos, it seems it is open for viewing. (Trying to avoid areas surrounded by glass but this might be pretty windy.)

image.png.33aa0958c1157e046407da5c8841775d.png

2.  Curious about the Retreat Area. I see there is a movie screen. Is it used?

image.png.82d7c7b95b6e606b1756aed45b868c9e.png

We have spent quite a few days on the Zaandam and loved the deck chairs on the Lower Promenade deck. Since the Veendam has Lanai cabins I'm guessing there won't be many chairs available there and I will be hanging out at the Retreat instead.

Any other advice or hints for a first time Veendam cruiser?

There is a door that goes outside in the "aerobics" area of the gym - Observation Deck.   There are no chairs to sit on there and the steel wall is high.  You can stand there to look out to see or land.

The Retreat area is where the aft pool used to be.  Now there are several hot tubs.  Benches to sit on and some lounge chairs off to the side.

There are loungers and regular tables and chairs at the Lido pool -- covered roof for bad weather.

You find a few lounge chairs on the Promenade DEck not reserved for the lanai passengers.

We were on the Veendam going to Bermuda from New York. My friend liked to make believe he was the Captain  and we went up top in front to get a view of NY harbor and I got to tell you it was windy up there when the ship was moving.

Another place to see things was the deck above the pool port and starboard on either side. Standing by the railing we could watch as we left Hamilton harbor, very cool.

We had Lanai cabins and every afternoon we would have room service and set up a little party on the Promenade and watch the sailboat races in the Sound.

I tell you sometimes life can be rough.

Before we were on everyone on CC was complaining about AC problems but we never had any.

It's good to walk around on the Promenade and get some exercise.  The first day out we had 35 MPH winds and the ship was steering to the port side to go straight and DW thought it was a good idea to take our friend who was getting a little mal de mer and walk her around. Not a good idea. I had enough problems just getting the doors to the promenade open. We all had a good laugh at dinner later.

The area in the back was mentioned before.

Enjoy your cruising days.

Thanks for the replies so far! 

Still wondering about the movie screen in the Retreat area. Is it used? A movie under the stars (Princess style) would be OK by me, but I'm not crazy about live concerts being played during the day to interrupt the peace & quiet of this area.

It’s been several years since I’ve been aboard her, but in close to 5 weeks I never saw the TV on. Thank goodness.

As stated previously the top of the crows nest is open, no glass and prone to wind. I got pushed back about a foot on the wet deck when a tremendous gust of wind hit me in Ushuaia. I ended up on my knees.

look for staircase Oscar aft. 😉

• 3 months later...

Our first experience with a lanai was in Dec. on the Veendam and we loved it!  I can’t believe we got to 4* before trying one.  Lady V has always been one of our favorite ships  and now it is #1 on our list to book another lanai.  If only she would return to Bermuda for our annual trip......😉