Soured by Arrival Appointment Time

crockea

So, we leave for our cruise on Sunday.  I haven't sailed Carnival in over 5 years but have been on over 35 cruises.  For the first time I am experiencing this annoying arrival appointment system.  I called as the soonest I could get it online was 1pm.  I have NEVER gotten on a ship that late.  Usually we arrive between 11/11:30 and are on board shortly after.  Is Carnival really so disorganized that they can't handle cruisers arriving whenever?  I am not typically a grumpy cruiser (other than laughable bad burgers on another line)  but this new system sucks.  I called and was told if I arrive earlier than the 1pm slot we could be turned away.  Has anyone experienced being turned away because you were early?  Makes me feel like I shouldn't known better than to jump back to Carnival again.  I hope this isn't a precursor on how the rest of the cruise will be.  Trying to get over it but booooo Carnival for starting with a negative.  Yes, I know I'll be picked on for complaining about this but, really?

• Haha 2

crockea: I understand you being upset.  I agree it can help put you in a bad mindset to start out. Don't let those tell you it is no big deal to have to wait.  If you have to be out of your hotel and can't check in for your cruise you are left standing outside the terminal with a wait.  Sometimes the people responding have priority status and don't worry about having a late check in time. 

Are you staying at a hotel the night before the cruise?  I would see if you can check out of your hotel late.  If I couldn't check out late I would probably still hang around the hotel until time to leave for check in.  I have not had to deal with this problem.  Maybe someone will help you with some good ideas if you have a lot of time before you check in. 

• Like 6

Crockea: 

To answer your question, you may or may not be turned away. It truly depends on how busy they are at the time you arrive. On our last Carnival Cruise in February, we checked in with friends who had an early check in time and the terminal was packed. The line snaked like a ride at Disney. It moved fairly quick considering how many people were waiting though.  People with a later check in time were being funneled to a “naughty area” where to sit and wait for their assigned time. But what was truly chaotic was once we got on the ship. Tons of people milling around with their luggage, occupying every table at the buffet and not moving, killing time while the staterooms were ready. We couldn’t find a place to sit inside the buffet area, or outside by the pool. Not a fun way to start the cruise. 

I respect that you have your method, and that you like to arrive at the port earlier, but from seasoned cruiser to seasoned cruiser, let me suggest that you do arrive later just this time and see how it goes for you. Let me explain:

Over the years, I’ve decided that I prefer to arrive later, and even if I have priority access, I still arrive later. I find a restaurant near the port where we go and have a leisurely and relaxing lunch. Then we proceed to the port around 1:30-2:00pm. By then, security, check in, and boarding lines have all died down (many times we are the only ones standing in line). We then board the ship and can head straight to our stateroom to drop our carry-ons.  No need to sit around with suitcases, waiting for staterooms to be ready. Finally, since we already ate, we are not in need to go battle other people at the buffet for food. For us, it’s a much more relaxing way to start our vacation.

I know that, for many, arriving later on embarkation day is unthinkable and a waste of vacation time, but since you have this late check in time assigned to you, give it a shot and see how it works out for you. Have an excellent vacation!

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 27

I usually don't respond to these types of threads.  But to the OP, I would like to say relax.  You are blessed to be on vacation.  If you feel like you are missing an hour on the ship, just stay up one hour later.  Please know that many people would like to be in your shoes.  On my last cruise on the Vista (Nov, 2018), we had a 12:30 arrival time.  We had a leisurely breakfast and arrived at the port about 12:00.  We were actually on the ship by 12:30.  We received a letter stating we would not be leaving until about 8:00 pm, Shaq was doing his commercial.  It was more than okay.  Just concentrate on the blessings please....  One hour is not a big deal.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

There typically are earlier check in times, it just depends on how fast you completed your paperwork as well and chose the arrival time.  I haven't been turned away, as most times we have had to arrive based on when the hotel had a shuttle etc.  

Our upcoming cruise I am platinum, our shuttle picking us up is at 9:30 going from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami.  Our arrival time is listed as 1 PM.  I know we will be early, but I don't think that would be an issue.  While I like to arrive early, I do also find it nice to arrive after others have already checked in and some of the crowds are just already gone.  

6 minutes ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

Our upcoming cruise I am platinum.  

If you’re Platinum, you can check in whenever you want, regardless of what your paperwork says.

• Like 3

OP you asked so here goes. Relax you are on vacation. Go to the port , get in the early/late line. Have the mindset you MIGHT have to wait. We didn't arrived 1 hour before our designated time and basically walked right on.

Did we get lucky maybe, but it was a chance I took. Either way it would have worked out certainly wouldn't have made my cruise experience any different.

If you let it bother you, that's totally on you. 

2 hours ago, crockea said:

So, we leave for our cruise on Sunday.  I haven't sailed Carnival in over 5 years but have been on over 35 cruises.  For the first time I am experiencing this annoying arrival appointment system.  I called as the soonest I could get it online was 1pm.  I have NEVER gotten on a ship that late.  Usually we arrive between 11/11:30 and are on board shortly after.  Is Carnival really so disorganized that they can't handle cruisers arriving whenever?  I am not typically a grumpy cruiser (other than laughable bad burgers on another line)  but this new system sucks.  I called and was told if I arrive earlier than the 1pm slot we could be turned away.  Has anyone experienced being turned away because you were early?  Makes me feel like I shouldn't known better than to jump back to Carnival again.  I hope this isn't a precursor on how the rest of the cruise will be.  Trying to get over it but booooo Carnival for starting with a negative.  Yes, I know I'll be picked on for complaining about this but, really?

I understand wanting to get onboard as soon as you can. We like to do that, too. We like to start our cruise as soon as we can. It has absolutely nothing to do with "being first," like some people on here often accuse. With that said, if we can't get on earlier, it's not going to make or break our cruise. We're still going on a cruise. We don't mind standing in a line or waiting in a terminal lounge when we know we're about to board a cruise ship.

The arrival appointment times are part of Carnival's staggered check-in system that was introduced a few years ago. It's helps the check-in process run smoothly, efficiently, and quickly. Before, it was just massive lines and long waits. From what I've seen, a vast majority of people this staggered check-in system much better.

It sounds like this one thing has pretty much soured you on the entire cruise. You're already going into it with negative feelings about it and now seem to expect even more things you won't like. You're going to be hard to please if you feel that way about it now. I suggest looking past this one thing and keeping an open mind for the rest of your cruise.

Edited by Organized Chaos
  • Like 5

The problem was that everyone wanted to board as early as possible.  This caused a huge bottleneck.  People starting their wonderful cruise grumpy from fighting the crowds.  The new staggered boarding times works so well.  You accused Carnival of being disorganized for not allowing 4000+ people boarding at once.  I applaud them for being proactive and organized. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Butterbean1000 said:

The problem was that everyone wanted to board as early as possible.  This caused a huge bottleneck.  People starting their wonderful cruise grumpy from fighting the crowds.  The new staggered boarding times works so well.  You accused Carnival of being disorganized for not allowing 4000+ people boarding at once.  I applaud them for being proactive and organized. 

Agreed. The new system is much better than the old system.

• Like 8

Usually we arrive between 11/11:30 and are on board shortly after.  Is Carnival really so disorganized that they can't handle cruisers arriving whenever?  

Well, obviously if everyone arrived at 11/11:30 it would be chaos. Cruisers arriving “whenever” is the definition of disorganized and Carnival Corrected that by giving appt times. Many people are still too important to abide by them but at least they are put in a different line. At least there is a option if you have little control over when you arrive—-rental car shuttle, bus, traffic.

In the early years, we being from MN arriving in FL in mid winter, would check out of the hotel early and leave our luggage with them and go exploring the city. No need to get to the port before 2:00.

• Like 2

I hope you can get over this "gumpiness" about the check in times.    They were developed to create a much better flow of passengers checking in and getting on board.  

Even though I am Platinum, we still arrive after 1pm...we literally walk right through the check ins and walk on board.   I really love this system, as well as many many others.

Relax, enjoy your morning, get there early if you want, but be prepared to wait in the "other" line, you may or may not get in early.    I would suggest checking out late at the hotel and just lounging until your check in time.    Whatever you decide, let it go and enjoy the cruise!!!

2 hours ago, Tapi said:

Crockea: 

To answer your question, you may or may not be turned away. It truly depends on how busy they are at the time you arrive. On our last Carnival Cruise in February, we checked in with friends who had an early check in time and the terminal was packed. The line snaked like a ride at Disney. It moved fairly quick considering how many people were waiting though.  People with a later check in time were being funneled to a “naughty area” where to sit and wait for their assigned time. But what was truly chaotic was once we got on the ship. Tons of people milling around with their luggage, occupying every table at the buffet and not moving, killing time while the staterooms were ready. We couldn’t find a place to sit inside the buffet area, or outside by the pool. Not a fun way to start the cruise. 

I respect that you have your method, and that you like to arrive at the port earlier, but from seasoned cruiser to seasoned cruiser, let me suggest that you do arrive later just this time and see how it goes for you. Let me explain:

Over the years, I’ve decided that I prefer to arrive later, and even if I have priority access, I still arrive later. I find a restaurant near the port where we go and have a leisurely and relaxing lunch. Then we proceed to the port around 1:30-2:00pm. By then, security, check in, and boarding lines have all died down (many times we are the only ones standing in line). We then board the ship and can head straight to our stateroom to drop our carry-ons.  No need to sit around with suitcases, waiting for staterooms to be ready. Finally, since we already ate, we are not in need to go battle other people at the buffet for food. For us, it’s a much more relaxing way to start our vacation.

I know that, for many, arriving later on embarkation day is unthinkable and a waste of vacation time, but since you have this late check in time assigned to you, give it a shot and see how it works out for you. Have an excellent vacation!

Agreed. I love the 1:30 boarding time. People start rushing to the rooms at that time because so many people have to do everything as soon as possible. Then there is less of a sea of luggage, and people hanging around the common areas.

• Like 4

I knew people would think I am being ridiculous and that is OK.  It is only an hour and half but why can't I choose my time? I've been on a lot of cruises and while the lines are sometimes long they've never been so bad that I would say they would need to be staggered.  Again though, maybe Carnival just couldn't figure it out without putting themselves first and the cruiser 2nd.  Will it ruin my cruise, absolutely not.  Does is leave a bad taste in my mouth, obviously yes, as I started the silly thread.  I'm only Gold status so I'm not considered loyal, which is deserved.  We chose Carnival as it's the line we took our kids on when they were young and we're traveling with a little this time.  I'm not expecting them to be as good as the others so I don't have my expectations out of whack.  This one just threw me for a loop.  It's like flying Southwest.  I'll accept I'm getting what i paid for.  Thanks for sharing your experiences.  Looking forward to fun times in the sun making great memories!

4 minutes ago, crockea said:

I knew people would think I am being ridiculous and that is OK.  It is only an hour and half but why can't I choose my time? 

You absolutely CAN choose your time.  You simply waited too long to go online, check in and get your choice of boarding times.  By the time you got around to checking in, all the earlier time slots were taken.

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, crockea said:

I knew people would think I am being ridiculous and that is OK.  It is only an hour and half but why can't I choose my time? I've been on a lot of cruises and while the lines are sometimes long they've never been so bad that I would say they would need to be staggered.  Again though, maybe Carnival just couldn't figure it out without putting themselves first and the cruiser 2nd.  Will it ruin my cruise, absolutely not.  Does is leave a bad taste in my mouth, obviously yes, as I started the silly thread.  I'm only Gold status so I'm not considered loyal, which is deserved.  We chose Carnival as it's the line we took our kids on when they were young and we're traveling with a little this time.  I'm not expecting them to be as good as the others so I don't have my expectations out of whack.  This one just threw me for a loop.  It's like flying Southwest.  I'll accept I'm getting what i paid for.  Thanks for sharing your experiences.  Looking forward to fun times in the sun making great memories!

First off, there's nothing that says you have to be at least Platinum to be "loyal." I've read comments from Carnival execs who've said that, according to their data, when someone reaches their third cruise on Carnival, they go from someone who's just trying it out to a full-on "cruiser" (their word). So it appears that, to them, even someone who's Red level is considered "loyal." Don't sell yourself short.

When they created the staggered check-in system, I'd say they were putting both themselves and the passengers first. The massive influx of passengers all boarding at the same time runs the risk of overwhelming the crew who are "on the front lines" receiving all those passengers. For example, the cooks at the embarkation day eateries, the bartenders, Guest Services & Excursions desk workers, etc. But it also eased the massive flow of traffic, allowing for a much smoother boarding process, which benefits the passengers too. They did figure it out...that's why we now have staggered check-ins. And apparently it's what works well for Carnival because a majority of people like it. If other cruise lines you've sailed can do it much better, good on them.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, K&RCurt said:

You absolutely CAN choose your time.  You simply waited too long to go online, check in and get your choice of boarding times.  By the time you got around to checking in, all the earlier time slots were taken.

6 minutes ago, K&RCurt said:

Take this as a lesson learned. Now you know to complete your boarding pass as soon as the check in times are released. Don’t get mad, don’t be grumpy. When I’m begin my cruise I don’t get myself worked up over things that are trivial.  The plus with 1230pm check in is you will most likely be on board quickly. 

• Like 2

I don't get why Carnival needs to enforce check-in times.  I sailed on RCCL Allure of the Seas and we arrived at the port around 11 and were on the ship within 15 minutes.  Allure is one of the biggest ships in the world and RCCL doesn't enforce check-in times.  I have read regularly on the RCCL boards where people have had very little waits to board the ship.  It seems like RCCL can figure it out, why can't Carnival?  As far as I know, Carnival is the only cruise line that enforces check-in times.

• Like 1