HMC vs. Princess Cay

Crusin Karen

Sorry ahead  if I am wasting anyone's time, but I searched and only found one short  post about the difference between HMC and Princess Cay. Researching winter cruises and one or the other is the option with Nassau and Freeport. We have been to HMC I think 3x and LOVE it, but wonder if we should try something different just for the heck of it.  We would not do excursions, just get off the ship and put our fannys on a lounger and relax! Opinions please!  Also, does Princess Cay have the bbq provided by CCL?  

Hey Karry! Ryan and I were just there in August on the Ecstasy. To us it's HMC hands down. They do have the BBQ lunch. I didn't do a review of that cruise, but I have plenty of pictures. The link to our  cruise albums is in my signature. 😀

Pretty sure there have been several threads about this because I know I've chimed in on a few.  Not that I'm opinionated or anything!😋

IMO, there's really no comparison.  HMC all the way.

But, Princess Cays is still a nice beach day but, yes, you should bring water shoes.  I'm not a swimmer so just stay out of the water there (I'll be there for my 3rd time a week from Monday on Sunshine).  Same food.  More shopping spread out along the area rather than just around the tender port.  No idea about what sort of excursions they offer at PC.  I've done the stingrays at HMC twice (it's in a small enclosed area with a little bit of reef so very easy to interact with the rays) and the horseback riding (not as good as at Grand Turk).  PC is just a beach day for me.

Also my opinion but not thrilled that Carnival Corp is "enhancing" HMC with plans to build a pier.  I've been there several times.  Only time we couldn't make the port call was because of damage from Hurricane Sandy although I know there are times the port is missed, as happens with all tender ports.  I already like it there less since they built the big, ugly pirate bar and the large Villas.  It's paradise..  Leave it alone!

I wouldn't pick an itinerary based solely between the two, but if I was contemplating similar itineraries and cost, I'd choose HMC.

Just another reason to sail HAL. Virtually every Caribbean sailing calls at HMC.

13 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

Pretty sure there have been several threads about this because I know I've chimed in on a few.  Not that I'm opinionated or anything!😋

I know, I thought for sure there would be a bunch, but I think maybe they are "within" reviews or other topics.  Wanted opinions on JUST that topic.  But maybe I'm searching wrong lol.  But thanks for all the opinions.  

We visited Princess Cays with our 3 year old after visiting HMC several years earlier. With the little one Princess Cays was better. It has a 2 foot deep kiddie pool and playground equipment fully in the shade. We had a great day there!

Edited by nwo4life

9 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

I know, I thought for sure there would be a bunch, but I think maybe they are "within" reviews or other topics.  Wanted opinions on JUST that topic.  But maybe I'm searching wrong lol.  But thanks for all the opinions.  

Sometimes I can search (only ever have any success once I'm on the board I want to search) and get a good list; other times I try various search strings and get nothing useful even when I know I've seen threads about the subject!  It isn't the most user-friendly search on the web, for sure!

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2019 at 8:36 PM, Crusin Karen said:

Sorry ahead  if I am wasting anyone's time, but I searched and only found one short  post about the difference between HMC and Princess Cay. Researching winter cruises and one or the other is the option with Nassau and Freeport. We have been to HMC I think 3x and LOVE it, but wonder if we should try something different just for the heck of it.  We would not do excursions, just get off the ship and put our fannys on a lounger and relax! Opinions please!  Also, does Princess Cay have the bbq provided by CCL?  

HMC hands down, Princess Cay very rocky and I don't mean little rocks either.  We had to buy swim shoes and use the floats to get out to where the water had a sandy bottom.  Also we were not impressed with the bars, very limited on the liquor they have.  I drink Margaritas and they didn't have tequila.    

Thank you for asking the question. I have been to HMC 6 times, and we chose our winter cruise this year because it goes to PC.  DH says he must go to new ports. LOL.  I am glad to read that the snorkeling is better at PC. I love HMC, but have never had a bad day at a beach.:classic_smile:

On 10/19/2019 at 7:46 AM, Crusin Karen said:

I find the search difficult too.  It has been discussed, but I think you are right that it is within other topics - also the port of call private island threads and not just Carnival.

On 10/19/2019 at 8:56 AM, Joebucks said:

They're both a fairly similar experience as far as food, tender, activities, layout, etc. HMC has a "nicer" beach and Princess is rockier. I did find snorkeling to be a bit better at Princess though.

The rocks help with the snorkeling.  HMC is so clear you almost don't need a mask to see through the water but there isn't much to see.  We didn't have our own equipment at PC but people next to us said it was better snorkeling from the beach than some excursions they did.  We went to the quieter area across the foot path away from the crowd.  There was food on both sides, but a lot of flies - I would eat a large breakfast and late lunch on the ship.  We found some nice local shopping on the quiet side and I think there was more on the "regular" side (but also mass produced items).  Souvenirs were paid with cash. 

I don't remember much shopping at HMC, but it was a super hot day and we mostly were in the water.

On 10/20/2019 at 8:45 AM, dbrucern said:

HMC hands down, Princess Cay very rocky and I don't mean little rocks either.  We had to buy swim shoes and use the floats to get out to where the water had a sandy bottom.  Also we were not impressed with the bars, very limited on the liquor they have.  I drink Margaritas and they didn't have tequila.    

No tequila 😮 Did they run out or was it like the ship and one bar was rum and the other tequila?  We didn't drink on either island.

The beautiful wide sandy beach  and fine sand bottom  on the water of Princess Cay disappeared with the "improvement" of a dock and jetties. The change in wave ebb and flow destroyed the natural replenishment of the beach area. (And before anyone wishes to inform me that Princes Cay has always had the dock and jetties, no it didn't when another cruise line owned it and when Princess first gained control of the beach. I am talking early nineties for the first beach days at Eleuthera/Princess Cay beach.)

One can only hope the "improvements" at Half Moon Cay doesn't lead to a destruction of the beach and water bottom.