Ocean Cay~ The Final Countdown

BermudaBound2014

1 hour ago, sidari said:

MSC held a Webinar last night midnight UK time,  a friend who is a US travel Agent posted info from it that the island should be open in about a week. 

I will believe it is open when the first passenger is walking the island.  Almost 3 years late at this point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob-Bob said:

I will believe it is open when the first passenger is walking the island.  Almost 3 years late at this point.

Sorry maybe it is only two years.  I forget if the original date was December 2016 or 2017.

1 hour ago, sidari said:

MSC held a Webinar last night midnight UK time,  a friend who is a US travel Agent posted info from it that the island should be open in about a week. 

What your travel agent friend did not mention to you is MSC refused to provide an actual date and used words like "should" and "hopeful".  

There is misinformation going around but it is not originating with me. 

• Like 1

Ah yet another one trying to tell me what others have discussed with me! Given MSC's track record on O.C who can blame them for being cautious as to when it will be open.

One thing is for sure the Media and travel agent sailing will be going there because MSC are not going to cancel that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sidari said:

Ah yet another one trying to tell me what others have discussed with me! Given MSC's track record on O.C who can blame them for being cautious as to when it will be open.

One thing is for sure the Media and travel agent sailing will be going there because MSC are not going to cancel that.

I am trying to tell you the content of the webinar.  One of us was not on it!  Your friend is giving you partial element of the webinar.  

Frustrating; I haven't picked a fight with anyone on here and daily I am put down as a liar.  By grown adults!  I've said nothing controversial other than there will be more delays and based on a good source.  Haven't been wrong yet though.  Ask your US friend and confirm for yourself.  No one here takes my word anyways.  Take it from elsewhere 

6 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I am trying to tell you the content of the webinar.  One of us was not on it!  Your friend is giving you partial element of the webinar.  

Frustrating; I haven't picked a fight with anyone on here and daily I am put down as a liar.  By grown adults!  I've said nothing controversial other than there will be more delays and based on a good source.  Haven't been wrong yet though.  Ask your US friend and confirm for yourself.  No one here takes my word anyways.  Take it from elsewhere 

There will be 100%

8 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I don't recall calling you a liar ? What I posted was what was said in the webinar and nothing more.

I've just finished reading a response (in German) to a Facebook user who'd asked MSC when Ocean Cay would open. The somewhat lengthy response essentially amounted to an "it'll open when we announce it," but I did appreciate the full story which seems to be missed. Because Ocean Cay was formerly a sand excavation site, and because MSC was committed to developing the site in an environmentally friendly and sustainable way, things took longer than expected. They are committed to preserving and encouraging the growth of coral and plan to have a nature preservation center on the island, as well. So while I'd say that it's disappointing that they're behind schedule, there's a good reason for it. A lot of people online express anger and outrage at the cruise industry for being wasteful of resources and for polluting the waters, so my hope is that they'll cut some slack to a company that's trying to do something good for the environment with this project.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, sidari said:

I don't recall calling you a liar ? What I posted was what was said in the webinar and nothing more.

Yuu didn't, but many on here keep painting me as such.  Makes me want to not share information here. 

I was on the webinar.  NO firm date was provided.  Your friend is giving you their pitch.  Just saying. 

37 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Yuu didn't, but many on here keep painting me as such.  Makes me want to not share information here. 

I was on the webinar.  NO firm date was provided.  Your friend is giving you their pitch.  Just saying. 

You take an easy position Max.  When there was one cancellation you said there would be more.  Wow you really went out on a limb with that prediction.  No matter how many "more" it is you made it so you were right.  

50 minutes ago, Nymich said:

You take an easy position Max.  When there was one cancellation you said there would be more.  Wow you really went out on a limb with that prediction.  No matter how many "more" it is you made it so you were right.  

It wasn't a prediction.  It was based on information I had received.  Accept it or do not, but I can assure you it is not guessing nor magic.  And my name isn't Max 

Edited by LMaxwell

MSC just put a press release that Ocean Cay will open December 5th. See below.

OCEAN CAY MSC MARINE RESERVE TO OPEN ON
DECEMBER 5, 2019

Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve, Bahamas (November 13, 2019) – MSC Cruises today announced that Ocean Cay’s opening date is now set for December 5, 2019.

The development of Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve has been a multiyear project in which MSC Cruises worked with multiple contractors and partners to transform what was once an industrial sand excavation site into a stunning tropical destination, including designating the surrounding waters as a flourishing marine reserve. 

This has been an extremely complex project as MSC Cruises has been fully committed to developing the destination in the most eco-friendly and sustainable way. At the same time, while the Company anticipated that the island would be ready to receive guests mid-November, as it reached the final stages of readying the island for its opening, some adverse weather conditions and unexpected last-minute operational challenges slowed down the completion of the island.

First, despite Hurricane Dorian and the demobilization of 600 workers, the Company took measures to remain on track and deliver the project on time. However, in the weeks that followed, further adverse weather conditions with strong winds and heavy swell caused several days of interruptions and created additional delays. This included heavy weather in early November which required part of one of the beaches to be further reinforced.

Secondly, last-minute issues with the leveling of the sand in certain areas of the island, the completion of the second breakwater and the landscaping aspects to be fully in line with the Company’s exceeding environmental criteria, have created further last-minute operational issues that could impact the guest experience.

The work on the island is an on-going process and the Company’s commitment to protect, restore and conserve this beautiful cay is part of a multi-phased effort. In the coming months, MSC Cruises will also introduce a Conservation Center and thriving coral nursery on the island, which will serve as an active base for coral education and research.

Providing guests with an outstanding experience in all destinations is a top priority for the Company and Ocean Cay is no exception. When guests start arriving at Ocean Cay they will be greeted by endless sweeping vistas of crystal blue waters and some of the most pristine white sand beaches. From early morning until late evening, they’ll have plenty of time to soak up the spirit of The Bahamas and enjoy the day as they wish, with no disruptions to shore excursions or beach and ocean discovery activities, as well as bars and complimentary dining options available.

The MSC Cruises ships that were scheduled to call the island before December 5, 2019 will be rerouted to alternative Caribbean destinations or will add a day at sea to their schedule. Guests will be compensated for the missed call at Ocean Cay.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

It wasn't a prediction.  It was based on information I had received.  Accept it or do not, but I can assure you it is not guessing nor magic.  And my name isn't Max 

It does not appear that you have any information more than the next guy.  Looks like you are pissed that MSC jerked you around a bit with the cancellations of OC and you just haven't accepted that and want to strike back and slam MSC and this is where you can vent that.

Edited by Nymich
  • Like 2

Nice to have an official communiqué from MSC on this subject. We are scheduled to call at OC on December 14. Even if we don't, I know we'll have a great cruise. And I'm 100% certain that this will finally silence the MSC naysayers who've promised us it won't open for years, if ever. NOT. :classic_tongue:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Nice to have an official communiqué from MSC on this subject. We are scheduled to call at OC on December 14. Even if we don't, I know we'll have a great cruise. And I'm 100% certain that this will finally silence the MSC naysayers who've promised us it won't open for years, if ever. NOT. :classic_tongue:

Well said my friend!   I hope you have a great cruise.  We head out soon trying O this time!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I've just finished reading a response (in German) to a Facebook user who'd asked MSC when Ocean Cay would open. The somewhat lengthy response essentially amounted to an "it'll open when we announce it," but I did appreciate the full story which seems to be missed. Because Ocean Cay was formerly a sand excavation site, and because MSC was committed to developing the site in an environmentally friendly and sustainable way, things took longer than expected. They are committed to preserving and encouraging the growth of coral and plan to have a nature preservation center on the island, as well. So while I'd say that it's disappointing that they're behind schedule, there's a good reason for it. A lot of people online express anger and outrage at the cruise industry for being wasteful of resources and for polluting the waters, so my hope is that they'll cut some slack to a company that's trying to do something good for the environment with this project.

I absolutely agree that MSC should get some kudo's for trying to be environmentally friendly. However; that doesn't excuse the poor communication up until today's press release. Most people expected delays after the drone footage was released (although with all the cheerleading on social media about the opening it was hard for many to look at the photos critically). 

IMO:  MSC got 'dinged' by crowds on social media due to how they communicated the delay, not that there was a delay. Remember,  I received an email invitation to join the Mera on Nov 17th departure so that I could be the first one on Ocean Cay, the entire email was encouraging me to book immediately so I wouldn't miss Ocean Cay. MSC canceled ocean cay the very next day. C'mon... left hand/right hand? Those that booked with this invitation have every right to be irritated (imo of course).

I think MSC did the right thing by making a new press release for December 5th opening and not waiting to announce week by week.  I'll be the first to admit I was wrong here, as I thought for certain they would open for the press cruise!!

47 minutes ago, Nymich said:

It does not appear that you have any information more than the next guy.  Looks like you are pissed that MSC jerked you around a bit with the cancellations of OC and you just haven't accepted that and want to strike back and slam MSC and this is where you can vent that.

Still wrong, also delusional and paranoid conspiracy sounding frankly on your part.  

Believe it or not,   no one appreciates being jerked around by a business.

I haven’t “slammed” any company. I only shared facts as they became known.  And every one of my posts came before an official announcement that proved me correct.  You know the old saw about only speaking when you have knowledge of facts. 

You and Beardface can refine your theories together. 

57 minutes ago, NameThatFunnel said:

MSC just put a press release that Ocean Cay will open December 5th. See below.

OCEAN CAY MSC MARINE RESERVE TO OPEN ON
DECEMBER 5, 2019

Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve, Bahamas (November 13, 2019) – MSC Cruises today announced that Ocean Cay’s opening date is now set for December 5, 2019.

The development of Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve has been a multiyear project in which MSC Cruises worked with multiple contractors and partners to transform what was once an industrial sand excavation site into a stunning tropical destination, including designating the surrounding waters as a flourishing marine reserve. 

This has been an extremely complex project as MSC Cruises has been fully committed to developing the destination in the most eco-friendly and sustainable way. At the same time, while the Company anticipated that the island would be ready to receive guests mid-November, as it reached the final stages of readying the island for its opening, some adverse weather conditions and unexpected last-minute operational challenges slowed down the completion of the island.

First, despite Hurricane Dorian and the demobilization of 600 workers, the Company took measures to remain on track and deliver the project on time. However, in the weeks that followed, further adverse weather conditions with strong winds and heavy swell caused several days of interruptions and created additional delays. This included heavy weather in early November which required part of one of the beaches to be further reinforced.

Secondly, last-minute issues with the leveling of the sand in certain areas of the island, the completion of the second breakwater and the landscaping aspects to be fully in line with the Company’s exceeding environmental criteria, have created further last-minute operational issues that could impact the guest experience.

The work on the island is an on-going process and the Company’s commitment to protect, restore and conserve this beautiful cay is part of a multi-phased effort. In the coming months, MSC Cruises will also introduce a Conservation Center and thriving coral nursery on the island, which will serve as an active base for coral education and research.

Providing guests with an outstanding experience in all destinations is a top priority for the Company and Ocean Cay is no exception. When guests start arriving at Ocean Cay they will be greeted by endless sweeping vistas of crystal blue waters and some of the most pristine white sand beaches. From early morning until late evening, they’ll have plenty of time to soak up the spirit of The Bahamas and enjoy the day as they wish, with no disruptions to shore excursions or beach and ocean discovery activities, as well as bars and complimentary dining options available.

The MSC Cruises ships that were scheduled to call the island before December 5, 2019 will be rerouted to alternative Caribbean destinations or will add a day at sea to their schedule. Guests will be compensated for the missed call at Ocean Cay.

I got this one totally wrong. I thought Ocean Cay would be open for the press cruise for sure.  I'm glad MSC is not waiting to announce week by week. I think people can forgive a delay, it's harder to forgive lack of information. This press release is a good move IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LMaxwell said:

Believe it or not,   no one appreciates being jerked around by a business.

Nope but you have to learn how to deal with it and you are very angry...…..  accept it and move on 

• Like 5