Ocean Cay~ The Final Countdown

BermudaBound2014

Was slightly disappointed that our 11/24 Meraviglia departure will not be stopping at Ocean Cay.  However always knew it was a possibility and am already over it!  The OBC and the 20% off a future cruise more than makes up for it!  You have to understand that ports are missed/changed all the time and not let it ruin your vacation!  Life is too short!

• Like 2

Ironically, the cruise we're going on next month (the Meraviglia) was originally supposed to be the Armonia calling at Cuba. When the administration changed its policy and cruises no longer could call at Havana, I was bummed, no question about it. But I never once blamed MSC, and we instead had the opportunity to rebook on a newer, nicer ship and snagged a Yacht Club (inside) for less than the price of the Aurea balcony we'd have had on the Armonia. Lemons = lemonade (or limoncello, in this case). LOL. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Beardface said:

I see this kind of reaction often on these boards, when someone had to miss a POC for whatever reason, and suddenly the entire cruise was a disaster...

Yes, people (me included) sometimes set ourselves up for failure that way.  A scheduled port can always be missed for unavoidable issues (weather that makes docking unsafe, civil unrest, etc). Several years ago I missed out on seeing the pyramids in Egypt when the Egyptians were misbehaving and our stop at Alexandria was cancelled... but then got to spend two days in Istanbul instead (which was a net win, much to my surprise).

But OC falls into an entirely different category.  MSC knows precisely the state of construction at OC, since it is entirely their project. It is extremely likely that they knew months ago that the opening date would slip, and probably by how much.  I would have very much appreciated a call from MSC (also months ago) to the effect that "hey guys, it looks pretty likely Ocean Cay won't be finished for your cruise. If it isn't, we'll be substituting (insert any port except Nassau) instead. Does that work for you?  If not, let's look at rescheduling you to a later cruise when OC will definitely be open, if that's OK. (...and please accept these fabulous prizes for your trouble)".  Now there's a company that knows and values their customers...

Edited by goodoldan
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Ironically, the cruise we're going on next month (the Meraviglia) was originally supposed to be the Armonia calling at Cuba. When the administration changed its policy and cruises no longer could call at Havana, I was bummed, no question about it. But I never once blamed MSC, and we instead had the opportunity to rebook on a newer, nicer ship and snagged a Yacht Club (inside) for less than the price of the Aurea balcony we'd have had on the Armonia. Lemons = lemonade (or limoncello, in this case). LOL. 

That turned out to be a nice save!   

3 hours ago, nuky said:

Hello, 

we booked the 3-night cruise from the 21. of Nov :(. Our original plan was Miami-Nassau-Ocean Cay-Miami. Do you know, which will be the replacement port? I hope it won´t be a sea day. 

Did i understand correctly, that the compensation is 100 USD Value on the boat and 20 % discount on the amount you paid for the trip? Or do we get a 20% discount for the next trip we book at MSC?

Thank you!

I'm on the sailing right before yours.  I assume we'll just have a sea day.  And we haven't been advised we will receive any compensation at all.  Since they've given us advance warning, I presume not.  I love sea days, so I'm not at all unhappy.

7 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

What your travel agent friend did not mention to you is MSC refused to provide an actual date and used words like "should" and "hopeful".  

There is misinformation going around but it is not originating with me. 

If MSC doesn't know the actual opening date, it is not a refusal to disclose or misinformation but a fact.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

If MSC doesn't know the actual opening date, it is not a refusal to disclose or misinformation but a fact.

I would agree with you EXCEPT, last night at the press conference MSC stated they would be open oc in 'about a week' and today they came out with a formal press release that stated they would open December 5th (three weeks). I suppose three weeks could be considered 'about a week', but that doesn't excuse two press releases with contradictory information given within 24 hours of one another. The left hand truly needs to meet the right with MSC. People would much more easily forgive delayed openings if MSC was forth wright. At this time, I suspect people feel lied to. That never ends well. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I would agree with you EXCEPT, last night at the press conference MSC stated they would be open oc in 'about a week' and today they came out with a formal press release that stated they would open December 5th (three weeks). I suppose three weeks could be considered 'about a week', but that doesn't excuse two press releases with contradictory information given within 24 hours of one another. The left hand truly needs to meet the right with MSC. People would much more easily forgive delayed openings if MSC was forth wright. At this time, I suspect people feel lied to. That never ends well. 

BB ...  Ken Muscat said the island would be open for the Thanksgiving cruise.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

It is easy to forgive when you are given $100 cash and 20% future cruise discount. I will take the windfall and move on.

That is a healthy attitude and I think most people on this forum agree with you completely.  What seems to be the 'debate' on here is if MSC outright lied  about the opening date, or if they just didn't know how much work needed to be done.  Either way, it's a fumble imo. They made up for the fumble with a very generous offer that has lots of people, like yourself, happy they aren't visiting OC.

MSC would have been far better served to under promise and over-deliver.  Not a bash. Just the facts. 

I truly don’t believe anyone knowingly gave a false answer. I’ve learned over the past couple years that MSC doesn’t do well with consistent messaging among its various departments and even out in the field among ships. I can see a bunch if people on the 8th floor in a conference room discussing a November opening while another group in some cubicles on the 5th floor are discussing a December 5th launch, and they don’t communicate and thus speak with one consistent message. Heck I can call and speak to 3 reservationists in the same building in Ft Lauderdale and get three completely different answers on any given issue or topic. They are improving on these things I and others have noticed, which is good. 

• Like 1

Wasn’t the most optimistic recent estimate given that it would open Nov 9? If they do open to the public on Dec 5, that’s less than a month’s delay. Not a really big deal, in the grand scheme of things. Anybody who thinks it is, let me talk to you about highway construction projects or Metro system improvements ever being completed on schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Actually, I believe he said it would "absolutely" be ready by the Thanksgiving cruise.  

image.png.0e0c53fc0a4ab350ab42fb8b5991bf6e.png

But which year....2019, 2020, 2021.....thanksgiving, I believe, is an annual event in the US? 😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Wasn’t the most optimistic recent estimate given that it would open Nov 9? If they do open to the public on Dec 5, that’s less than a month’s delay. Not a really big deal, in the grand scheme of things. Anybody who thinks it is, let me talk to you about highway construction projects or Metro system improvements ever being completed on schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, take a look at London`s Cross Rail project! Delayed, Delayed and now Delayed again.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sfaaa said:

It is easy to forgive when you are given $100 cash and 20% future cruise discount. I will take the windfall and move on.

Yes, but not when they rearrange the rest of your itinerary to accommodate a new substitute port--unacceptable.  That's what has happened on the current sailing.  They ended up in Cozumel (the substitute for this coming Saturday's planned stop at OC) on Tuesday when they were supposed to be at Costa Maya.  Today they are in CM when they were supposed to be in Roatan.  We are on the next WC sailing that departs on 11/24.  We've had our trip planned and our private excursions booked for months.  It's one thing to cancel the stop at OC because it's not ready, but rearranging the rest of the trip and not informing the passengers until they are onboard is not cool and totally unnecessary.  If they can't find a different port to be added either on the day that they were scheduled to be in OC or on one of the days at sea, they should just add a third sea day and leave the rest of the itinerary alone!

Edited by EMc&DrS
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, EMc&DrS said:

Yes, but not when they rearrange the rest of your itinerary to accommodate a new substitute port--unacceptable.  That's what has happened on the current sailing.  They ended up in Cozumel (the substitute for this coming Saturday's planned stop at OC) on Tuesday when they were supposed to be at Costa Maya.  Today they are in CM when they were supposed to be in Roatan.  We are on the next WC sailing that departs on 11/24.  We've had our trip planned and our private excursions booked for months.  It's one thing to cancel the stop at OC because it's not ready, but rearranging the rest of the trip and not informing the passengers until they are onboard is not cool and totally unnecessary.  If they can't find a different port to be added either on the day that they were scheduled to be in OC or on one of the days at sea, they should just add a third sea day and leave the rest of the itinerary alone!

I agree with your comments. I too am on the Meraviglia Nov 24th, most likely they are substituting Ocean Cay with Nassau (ugh) or if no space available, a sea day. I'd love to go to Key West instead of Nassau, but that's not going to happen.

• Like 1

I was not surprised at all that OC is not opening for our Thanksgiving Cruise.  When we booked while on the Seaside in June the lady told us that even though it says OC, it will be Nassau.  She said it very confidently.  Now I know that she did not know anything then, but it made it less of a surprise.  

Right now the assumption is that we will be getting the same compensation, I hope that is the case.  With MSC, you never know!  I agree with one of the above posters that the quicker they can get the new itinerary out the better.  I might have to rearrange some of my private excursions.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NameThatFunnel said:

I agree with your comments. I too am on the Meraviglia Nov 24th, most likely they are substituting Ocean Cay with Nassau (ugh) or if no space available, a sea day. I'd love to go to Key West instead of Nassau, but that's not going to happen.

Agreed!  However, I would take Nassau over Cozumel.  At least we would be there on the same day of the trip that we were supposed to be in OC.  We found a great spot on Cabbage Beach away from the crowds that we like to go to when we stop in Nassau.  $5 cab ride each way for a quiet day on a beautiful beach.  Have had some very bad experiences in Cozumel, so will be staying on the ship if that's where they send us.

• Like 1

There are quite a bit of people saying that you should not be disappointed when a cruise does not go to a port you hoped to go to.  Well that is just not right.  You are totally allowed to be disappointed.  I missed ports on many of my cruises and yes I was disappointed.  I still had a great cruise but would have liked to stop at the designated ports.  At least in this instance MSC is trying to give some compensation.  More than I can say for other cruise lines.  But when the head guy says the cruise will absolutely be ready by Thanksgiving one would think it absolutely will.  Hoping OC will be open in February.  I am not totally confident that the December 5 day will happen.  Time will tell....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CUontheC said:

There are quite a bit of people saying that you should not be disappointed when a cruise does not go to a port you hoped to go to.  Well that is just not right.  You are totally allowed to be disappointed.  I missed ports on many of my cruises and yes I was disappointed.  I still had a great cruise but would have liked to stop at the designated ports.  At least in this instance MSC is trying to give some compensation.  More than I can say for other cruise lines.  But when the head guy says the cruise will absolutely be ready by Thanksgiving one would think it absolutely will.  Hoping OC will be open in February.  I am not totally confident that the December 5 day will happen.  Time will tell....

I don't think the issue is with disappointment so much as it is certain people seeming to think that a cruise line is never, under any conditions, allowed to depart from the agreed-to itinerary. I hate reading the fine print as much as the next guy, but the cruise lines are pretty well insulated from any legal backlash under the Terms & Conditions we all agree to. I don't begrudge anyone the sense of disappointment, but the somewhat overheated rhetoric (use of words such as "cheated, scammed, lied to, unfair") go beyond disappointment. And that is, I think, why some on CC are quick to remind those who use such terms that there was always the possibility of things changing. I, like you, am not 100% convinced that the December 5 opening will happen, either, tho' I do give MSC props for actually putting out a press release with a firm date.

• Like 2