Ocean Cay~ The Final Countdown

BermudaBound2014

That's a bummer for everyone that got their hopes up for an opening on November 15th (including myself even though I'm not on-board). I'm trying to make sure I understand what this means for the grand opening. Does this suggest the first to arrive will be Seaside on November 22nd?  I'm pretty sure that is the press release cruise.

image.png.83ee5feeea8e71531e1574284a7097ec.png

On 11/8/2019 at 1:08 PM, Nymich said:

Yep they were wrong.  I said that MSC will not be paying off people long and will get it done.  Of course Maxwells silver hammer came down upon my head...…..

I just tell it like it is.  You tell it how you wish it were.  Hey, it doesn't bring me any sort of pleasure that people are missing this stop.  I have money on the line with this stop as well.  It's unfortunate but plain to see it is not ready.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wills Mojo said:

The table is Likely outdated. I’m on the 11/17 Meraviglia sailing and we’re supposed To be at Ocean Cay on 11/20.

Are you a part of the press release sailing? I 'think"  that the 11/17 sailing was added later (I believe that is a short sailing also) to accommodate the press and travel agents. 

42 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I just tell it like it is.  You tell it how you wish it were.  Hey, it doesn't bring me any sort of pleasure that people are missing this stop.  I have money on the line with this stop as well.  It's unfortunate but plain to see it is not ready.  

Nope I said it was going to be a short delay because MSC will not continue to pay out obc and future cruise discounts  You put the hammer down on that when I said it.  I still think it will be a short delay. 

And for the record I cancelled a cruise last September on Seaside because of OC.  I then cancelled YC on Mera in Jan 2020 because YC the area is not going to be open.   Not once did I complain about it I simply booked another Seaside later in 2020.

2 people with similar issues handling things completely different.  One is a half full type of person.

Edited by Nymich
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Are you a part of the press release sailing? I 'think"  that the 11/17 sailing was added later (I believe that is a short sailing also) to accommodate the press and travel agents. 

So once again it looks like MSC have stitched up customers in favour of the  Media and travel agents just as they did with Divina in 2013! Disgraceful on the part of MSC.

• Like 1

I have just looked at 39 photos from a gentleman who is on the OC  and posted today's photos.  He is the same one who posted a large number of photos a few weeks ago.  I really don't think that it will be ready for the press tour.  I posted a few photos on the this site.      

I have just looked at 39 photos from a gentleman who is on the OC  and posted today's photos.  He is the same one who posted a large number of photos a few weeks ago.  I really don't think that it will be ready for the press tour.  I posted a few photos on the this site.      

75439297_10218528519716320_6945758907079852032_n.jpg.44f162026d42548b4338306058dc1932.jpg

I did not see many workers in the entire 39 photos posted today, which is concerning since you’d think they would be working around the clock.

Other than lack of workers, I don’t think the island looks terrible. At least we are seeing physical buildings complete and it appears they moved the large cranes,  which is positive. lots of supplies have been delivered too.

I would be VERY surprised if the press cruise is cancelled.  

I

Edited by BermudaBound2014

4 hours ago, Nashna said:

75439297_10218528519716320_6945758907079852032_n.jpg.44f162026d42548b4338306058dc1932.jpg

One lady is adamant this area is done, they just need a day to remove the odds and ends...

sure thing 

55 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

One lady is adamant this area is done, they just need a day to remove the odds and ends...

sure thing 

Maybe that's what those tarps are for.  They can just cover things up while the ships are in.  

All kidding aside I don't necessarily think that everything needs to be fully completed for it to open.  Just the basic guest areas, buffet, bars, gift shop, and beaches.  

We've visited NCL's Great Stirrup Cay several times while it was being worked on.  Sometimes with construction equipment and plastic construction fencing blocking off large sections.  Last month we spent the day in one of the studio villas and they were still working on the 1 and 2 bedroom villas adjacent to us and the lagoon.  They were also still working on the zip line towers above us.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I have been to GSC and CocoCay with construction going on at both.  Majority of services were operational for guests.  I think if you can deliver 80% of the features and amenities at opening you are in good shape.  

Aside:

Not sure why objectively analyzing photos and calling things how they are in reality makes me a pessimist, and it certainly isn't an invitation to have my character attacked in any event on this forum.  I'm more believing of what my eyes show me than the words of a company corp man posting on social media.   

Hmmm... I didn't call you a pessimist.  

And I most certainly didn't attack your character...  

You must have me confused with someone else.  

We're scheduled to stop on Ocean Cay in early December.  So lets see what happens!

• Like 1

Just now, Motegi said:

Hmmm... I didn't call you a pessimist.  

And I most certainly didn't attack your character...  

You must have me confused with someone else.  

We're scheduled to stop on Ocean Cay in early December.  So lets see what happens!

That is why I put "aside"; so as to mention not directed at you with that comment.  

In general, this is a conversational forum and should invite civil discussions of differing viewpoints and opinions.  Some simply don't think so; they don't view it as a playground but a litter box.  Sad.  

Yes, let's see.  Would be nice to have that stop. 

6 hours ago, sfaaa said:

I doubt OCR can open until Bahamanian regulatory authority deemed it is safe to open and signs off on it.  

Precisely....it is not just about what areas on the island may be deemed to be fit for purpose, but the unfinished areas that exploring passengers might end up in. Health & safety issues abound, and MSC or the Bahamian Regulatory are not going to risk potential lawsuits....this is going to cost MSC a shed load of cash, as clearly every cruise passenger that misses OC now will receive an evoucher equivalent to 20% of the cruise net cost and every cabin $100 OBC.

Apart from being a PR mini disaster, it is going to be a huge financial hit....do the math!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hamrag said:

Precisely....it is not just about what areas on the island may be deemed to be fit for purpose, but the unfinished areas that exploring passengers might end up in. Health & safety issues abound, and MSC or the Bahamian Regulatory are not going to risk potential lawsuits....this is going to cost MSC a shed load of cash, as clearly every cruise passenger that misses OC now will receive an evoucher equivalent to 20% of the cruise net cost and every cabin $100 OBC.

Apart from being a PR mini disaster, it is going to be a huge financial hit....do the math!!

While I'm certain MSC would not want to pay out this compensation indefinitely, this company can afford it. What they can't afford is a major barrage of negative Ocean Cay experiences posted here, in the media and elsewhere online. With the previous delays, my guess is they want the place looking as "perfect" as possible, even if some areas are not 100% finished.

• Like 2

Ok, help me out please. WTH am I looking at? 

We know that Ocean Cay is man made by dredging sand. We've all seen the video of the dredgers working away. Is that a dredger I see in the bay? Is that what is creating the HUGE piles of sand located along the perimeter? Or is that dump truck bringing the sand into this area? 

image.png.d3f63e6e553b3ff1ff300875f4728cea.png