Today a perfect example of why fly in day ahead of cruise

sdrocks

The last time we flew to the US from overseas we ended up delayed by 19 hours because the pilot on our Delta flight out of Frankfurt broke his leg in three places falling on the stairs on his way into the cockpit -- you just can't make this stuff up! By the time we were on the ground in Newark their schedule was completely messed up and 5 planes landed at the same time, meaning we had to wait on the plane for 90 minutes and then sit in the hallway waiting for there to be space in customs/immigration for another couple of hours. My four year old was flagged for extra scrutiny by CBP (happens sometimes, even with PreCheck and Global Entry), so that was another hour while they sorted that out -- although he thought it was hilarious! By that time, all the gates were closed, we'd long missed the last flight to our connecting airport and had to queue for resolution with customer care, which took more hours. We got home 2 days late. 

So! For this cruise, we're flying in 3 days early  -- cruise leaves on a Monday, we're flying out Friday morning. Even with possible snow storms in Newark and ground strikes in Germany, we should juuuuuuust sneak in under the wire, right? 😉

• Like 4

On 5/7/2019 at 5:40 PM, colesc15 said:

Anyone recently stayed at the Embassy Suites? 

On 10/18/2019 at 9:09 PM, sdrocks said:

Cruising on Anthem tomorrow for a b2b.  Booked our flight s in July to get specific times & seats.  That plan fell apart at 1 am this morning when Delta begin

texting changes.  After 4 changes finally got a final departure time of 6:15.  After we scrambled to the airport to find seats downgraded and an extra leg

added with no current seat assignments I was in a panic.  (Had totally confirmed the flights 24 hrs before with no problems identified)  The upshot was we

had extra transfers added and didn't get into Newark until 5 pm.  Didn't get out of airport until 5:30.  (Our original time was arrival of 145 which still would be 

late for same day cruise.

So just an example of how flights can go wrong & we don't take the chance of waiting to fly the same day.

We were excited our luggage actually arrived the same time we did.  LOL !

i needed this. this is the first time we have to board a dog for so many nights so i was thinking about saving on hotel costs and reducing the time we're away (because i feel bad) by taking a chance--on DELTA out of atlanta lol. i never go the day of the cruise but this one time i was at least entertaining the idea. we'll just suck it up!!

• Like 1

We have flown in on cruise departure day before and it is too stressful for me. One time we drove to the airport a few days early to avoid a snowstorm on our side of the state and I was wondering why we hadn't just flown to the port city early.  Another time we did fly a day early, flights were delayed (Michigan - snow storms) and we were arrived at the airport about the cruise departure time but a day early. It was such a big storm that the cruise lines were waiting for some passengers but I was still glad it wasn't us. Another time DH's luggage didn't arrive with us, luckily it was delivered to our hotel an hour before our shuttle to the ship. Not to mention all the delays and cancellations for normal trips that aren't cruises! Too risky for me.

We try to always fly the day before, it's a nice start to the vacation.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 11:02 AM, bilyclub said:

We were flying in 2 days before a cruise out of Miami. It was an early evening flight to Fort Meyers because we were stopping to say hi to some friends. The flight took off 2 hours late and only made it to Nashville because of a fuel pump problem. Hung around in a closed Nashville airport for hours. Finally a flight from DFW  arrived and the plane and crew were shanghaied to take us to Fort Meyers.    When we got to RSW, the pilot tried landing twice but bailed out due to fog. We diverted to Miami and after deplaning in MIA were told your flight is now canceled. This was at 6 AM.    After dealing with an angry mob of passengers. the still sleepy station manager ordered a bus to take everybody to Fort Meyers.    I talked to the manager and was able to get a room in Miami and spent a wasted Saturday in a hotel.  We get spoiled by living near O'Hare and having a lot of flight options, but no longer take  evening flights out.

i'm spoiled by living in atlanta so i always think "there will be more flights/options available". this is a good reminder that things can still go wrong. on my last flight, we were diverted and trapped in huntsville alabama due to weather and lack of fuel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

So no matter what time of year, flights get delayed and or cancelled.  It happened to us also many years ago on an alaska cruise coming home.  Canada had a power failure and since our departure was from Vancouver, we had to take a bus to seattle to get a flight home- of course delays going home isn't as bad as missing your cruise. However we were in a rush as we had a family wedding the next day!  

LOL!  I'm sorry, I know what you really meant by this but it still made me giggle. 🙂

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Sorry, BS.  There's ALWAYS a choice...

1) Take a red eye the night before.

2) Save your vacation days so you can use an extra

3) Take a different cruise

4) Leave from a different airport

5) Arrive at a different airport

6) Don't cruise

Obviously, feel free to fly in the day of the cruise.  But don't go bitching and moaning if something happens and you miss sailing.  It was your choice to take the chance. 

This is my opinion too. If we cannot fly in the day before, we cannot take that cruise...simple as that. There will always be another cruise...most cruise itineraries aren't that unique, and another one visiting the same places (often on the same ship) will come along soon. 

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Sorry, BS.  There's ALWAYS a choice...

1) Take a red eye the night before.

2) Save your vacation days so you can use an extra

3) Take a different cruise

4) Leave from a different airport

5) Arrive at a different airport

6) Don't cruise

Obviously, feel free to fly in the day of the cruise.  But don't go bitching and moaning if something happens and you miss sailing.  It was your choice to take the chance. 

When dd can't get off day before cruise she requests flex time for day arriving early skipping lunch and leaving by 2pm.  Allows her to catch a 5pm flight.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 9:09 PM, karena1 said:

yup, would never fly the day of.  We live in Florida and if we cruise out of San Juan, we still fly in the day before.  Just never know what can happen

We drive from Jacksonville to Port Everglades and always arrive at least one day early. 

For  Harmony in March I’ve made a hotel res for the night before even though it’s a 2 1/2 drive. 

Too many things can go wrong flying or driving to chance missing a cruise!

17 hours ago, Zephanor said:

I used to fly a lot for work, domestic and international... I always fly in the day before. I understand some can't do this for good reasons but man, it's a risk even if it's a low one. I've had flights canceled due to rain and had to fly out the next day, flights that missed connections due to congested air traffic and had to fly out the next day, etc, wouldn't be cool with a cruise.

Yes, it's extra cost for hotel, meals, etc. but I've enjoyed treating it like a date night. And honestly, it's always been a good time with the anticipation of the cruise that starts the next day, like a vacation Christmas Eve! 😉 

Yep, I always enjoy the extra day. We always find something fun to do, even if it is just hanging out at the pool. Knowing that it's the least crowded pool we'll see all week!

In the past I have relied on Amtrak (train) to get to the port (in NYC) from upstate NY. A three hour trip, and a most scenic ride along the Hudson. I’m an optimist but given this mode of transportation I would just never travel the day of the cruise!!!

I have yet to fly to any port in Florida for a cruise, but know that day will come. Since I live in a winter wonderland here, (near a small airport), I figure I’d plan for flying in two days ahead! 

Edited by Mira28
Spelling

Anyone who flies in the day of is just estupido.

Its not just winter weather that can cause you to be delayed by an airline and blow your cruise.    Its a crew scheduling issue, a mechanical problem, a diversion,  traffic backup on your way to the airport, an overbooking, blah blah blah.

Air travel is sketchy as best .. especially in this country  .. so no, don't book that 11:55am arrival in FLL for your 4pm departure.   If you do, you kinda deserve whatever happens to you.  

• Like 1

On 10/20/2019 at 7:33 AM, Bee Guy said:

I don't know.  It would depend on the airline, and destination.  My point is that Maine's airports are all very small compared to major airports in large cities.   They do not have the traffic to justify multiple flights some airports offer.

Boston’s close enough to me to be worth the drive. (Unless you’re in Calais)

At least to get the first flight out. 

Asidd from the money loss if you don’t have travel insurance,  not getting to cruise would absolutely demoralize me. 

On 10/20/2019 at 2:47 PM, Baron Barracuda said:

Actually, his return flight was even worse.  12pm UAL flight from MCO should have had him back to EWR by 3pm.  They boarded 2 hours late due to thunderstorms in DC area then sat on runway for 4 hours.  NY was bright and sunny all day.  Plane then returned to gate where everyone de-planed.  At that point flight crew had exceed their time limit so had to wait hours for another crew.  Didn't get home until 3am.  Told him, I would never, ever fly with him.

Our DS and DDIL just sat on the ground in Newark on the way from JAX to JFK. 

bad weather and landed in terrible turbulence. 

They had already been delayed on takeoff 2 hours. 

After sitting on the plane in EWR for over an hour, pax started asking to be allowed off if their final destination was NYC. 

The flight crew said finally they could deplane but would be on their own to get their luggage later and for their ground transportation. 

DS and DDIL opted to take a taxi to their Manhattan hotel and started setting up a car service to pick their luggage up after it arrived at JFK. 

Their weekend getaway to Manhattan was shortened half a day and cost a more than they had planned, but at least they weren’t missing a cruise. 

I wonder if a legacy airline would have done any better than the Blue one did. 

3 hours ago, CaribbeanCrush said:

I just suggested that idea to my wife. We live 20-25 minutes from the airport, but our flight for our next trip is at 7:20! Might be nice to already be there!

Back when we traveled a lot by air, we often had a 6:40am to Atlanta to connect to wherever. 

Since we can’t get to our airport with crossing one of our bridges, we always stayed at a hotel near the airport. Had a nice dinner at a restaurant near by and relaxed. 

It also meant the last minute packing was already done, so getting up and to the airport was easy instead of frantic. 

• Like 1

We always fly at least the day before as well, and last month this served us well.  On 9/11, our direct flight into Newark was cancelled while we sat at the gate.  We chose to be moved over to another direct flight with another airline that went into Laguardia (instead of Newark), reasoning that we would still arrive the day before, and we finally made it to our Newark hotel in the early afternoon. 

If we had opted for the second choice we were offered, a connecting flight thru O'Hare to Newark, arriving mid-afternoon, we would have not made it until about 10:30 pm, since many flights into Newark were either postponed by 4-6 hours or cancelled outright.  The O'Hare flight we were offered was a victim of those delays. 

Others in our roll call flying into Newark from all over the country on 9/11 were affected.  It was like a ripple effect.  One couple that should have arrived by early evening arrived after 1:00 am.   These delays of flights going into Newark continued into the next day (9/12) when two families from our roll call missed the sailing due to being repeatedly delayed, then finally, cancelled.

If we can't fly at least the day before, we just don't go on that cruise.  This is not our first flight that was cancelled or postponed.  I don't want to begin a vacation with that kind of stress.

Edited by barbeyg

When I was a rookie cruiser, before cruise critic I flew in the day of the cruise. I didn't know any better.  It all worked out and then I didn't see any problems with it.

Now I fly in the day before because I'm older and wiser. We got trapped at DFW before our Alaska cruise this summer.  We had the last direct flight DFW to Vancouver, YVR that Thursday evening.  The plane was delayed arriving into DFW. When they finally arrived we didn't have a crew to fly us. It was the most absurd thing I had ever heard.  HOW IN THE WORLD DO WE NOT HAVE A CREW TO FLY US!?!?!? As planes were landing the crews were being asked if they could fly us to YVR. Most of them couldn't because it was late and they had used their hours for the day.  We were supposed to land at 10PM.  We didn't land until 2ish AM. We got to the hotel and got settled in around 4AM.  And you know hotels in Vancouver cost an arm and a leg during cruise season. So we paid $300 for a couple of hours of sleep. Yeah, we weren't happy but who cares we had a FABULOUS Alaskan vacation.  The weather was PERFECT!

O and it gets better.  On the way home from Anchorage they over sold that flight.  Yep!! So as soon as they offered vouchers we took them up on the offer. We left two hours later, which was fine by us.  But we now also have enough flight voucher $'s to pay for our vacation flights in 2020. So WIN WIN!!  

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 1:45 PM, ChinaShrek said:

Many people cannot take that extra day off from work and will have no choice but to fly in the day of the cruise. So, have some compassion when my flight from Maine is delayed or canceled on the day the cruise is departing.

One reason why I preferred Sunday departure over Saturdat departure when we were working. I'd prefer the extra day pre cruise vs post cruise

• Like 1

Of all the topics in CC where I would expect to see insults directed at other members, I think this isn't one of them. Getting exorcised over other people's willingness to assume or reduce risks in their travel itineraries? Live and let live! Save the judgment for tried and true topics, like clothing rules and rum smuggling. Or washy washy!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, cynt said:

When I was a rookie cruiser, before cruise critic I flew in the day of the cruise. I didn't know any better.  It all worked out and then I didn't see any problems with it.

Now I fly in the day before because I'm older and wiser. We got trapped at DFW before our Alaska cruise this summer.  We had the last direct flight DFW to Vancouver, YVR that Thursday evening.  The plane was delayed arriving into DFW. When they finally arrived we didn't have a crew to fly us. It was the most absurd thing I had ever heard.  HOW IN THE WORLD DO WE NOT HAVE A CREW TO FLY US!?!?!? As planes were landing the crews were being asked if they could fly us to YVR. Most of them couldn't because it was late and they had used their hours for the day.  We were supposed to land at 10PM.  We didn't land until 2ish AM. We got to the hotel and got settled in around 4AM.  And you know hotels in Vancouver cost an arm and a leg during cruise season. So we paid $300 for a couple of hours of sleep. Yeah, we weren't happy but who cares we had a FABULOUS Alaskan vacation.  The weather was PERFECT!

O and it gets better.  On the way home from Anchorage they over sold that flight.  Yep!! So as soon as they offered vouchers we took them up on the offer. We left two hours later, which was fine by us.  But we now also have enough flight voucher $'s to pay for our vacation flights in 2020. So WIN WIN!!  

We were coming home from Alaska. There are no direct flights from Anchorage to Toronto so we had to stop in Chicago.Our flight from Anchorage left around 8p.m. We made such good time that when we landed in Chicago there was nobody on the tarmac to direct us into the gate, so we sat in the plane for about a 1/2 hour until someone arrived. After we got off the plane we had a very long walk to another terminal as we were changing from a domestic flight to an international flight. This was about 6:00 a.m. My wife has  difficulty walking very far so we tried to get a ride for her but no one would help. We finally get to our new gate and we wait  and wait, well past our scheduled departure time. Finally we were informed that the crew had worked too many hours and a new crew would have to be found. We finally boarded, well after we should have arrived in Toronto. To make things worse, one of my sons bags never left Chicago. He was told if we wanted to wait for an hour the bag would arrive. No thanks, we had the bag delivered to his house later on that day. Very long day for us as we were off the ship before 7 a.m. on Friday and got home around noon on Saturday. I don't sleep well on a plane.

We usually stay overnight at an airport hotel the night before our flight which is the day before the cruise. We usually book early flights to allow more chances to get to our destination in case of delays. I shudder remembering the times we flew in the day of the cruise and didn’t take out travel insurance either!!

We flew in once on the day off for a Disney cruise.  It wasn't our doing though as my inlaws were taking the family on the cruise and so they booked everything.  When we book, we always fly in the day before, and pick a morning or early afternoon flight (3 hr flight for us from Ontario).  For this specific cruise, it was January so even riskier.  I remember the flight was at 6am so we were all up at 3am.  We made it fine as we were lucky with no delays but we were all done by 7pm (with the kids falling asleep during dinner) and we all felt miserable the whole first day of the cruise anyways form exhaustion.