Cruise Critic Community
HamOp

Not A Good Idea or You Can't Fix Stupid

6 hours ago, Aquahound said:

When a person gets banned, they'e typically banned from all lines under the parents corporation's umbrella.  So while she might not be banned from all cruise lines, she will be banned from all RCCL lines.  

So, she can now try NCL or God forbid, HAL.

Oh my goodness!  When I told my son about this foolishness, his first response, "Mom, you do know that over 300 foolish people die every year trying to take a selfie in places they shouldn't?"  He further said that many are under 30 years old, a statistic I researched, and it seems he's correct. 

This stunt would definitely qualify as foolish.  Agree with everyone else that RCI reacted appropriately.  What's scary is that she could have fallen and died.  Had it not been for that other passenger who witnessed this risky behavior, no one would have known she had climbed onto the railing.       

I’m still trying to figure out what background composition she was trying to get a shot of.  None of it makes any sense to me.

18 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I’m still trying to figure out what background composition she was trying to get a shot of.  None of it makes any sense to me.

When I first saw the picture a few days ago and read about these idiots, I thought that maybe she was going to turn around on the railing once she got up there so that the ocean would be in the background … as she was falling … 😈

Celebrity (same parent company) announced they had banned for life a guy who made a stupid remark a few years ago while exiting the previous cruise (something like “Have fun, suckers, I left a bomb on board”j which caused the port officials to arrest him and shut everything down for a couple of hours to search.

Everybody already inside the terminal was just inconvenienced by the wait, but numerous people had arrived at the port and were standing in lines outside in the sun. X handed out bottled water, but they also had a big charity group arriving or inside the terminal already, to attend a luncheon donated by the president of the line.

Big mess. Ship late departing. As I recall, they announced during safety drill they were giving every cabin a $50 OBC. I didn’t think they had anything to apologize for.

This was not on a Holland America Line, just to be clear. Yes, we all saw this on google news...

Has anyone read any follow-up articles about the woman?  I am curious whether maybe she is a psych patient, unstable emotionally, etc. 

3 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

Has anyone read any follow-up articles about the woman?  I am curious whether maybe she is a psych patient, unstable emotionally, etc. 

Latest news just showed her idiot selfie, stating she was banned from all cruise lines forever and made no comment on her stability.

Selfie sticks and photo taking in general are out of control.

Too many want a photo for social media. 

SHOWING OFF can get you killed or in trouble.

I haye looking at someone's photos of a cruise where they are in every other photo. Please stop it and take photos of the actual places instead of YOU.

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I haye looking at someone's photos of a cruise where they are in every other photo. Please stop it and take photos of the actual places instead of YOU.

Add to that the people (mostly young women) posing as if it's a fashion shoot. They stand there in front of something others are waiting to photograph, flipping their hair and pouting at the camera. I want to walk up to one of them, point to the person with the camera, and say, "SHE is not Annie Liebovitz and YOU are not going to be in Vogue. Just get on with it, already!"

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Latest news just showed her idiot selfie, stating she was banned from all cruise lines forever and made no comment on her stability.

Well, she got what she wanted, the world can see her selfie.

I would just like to see an interview where someone asks her what she was thinking. Or was she thinking at all.

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I do agree. 

When I went to Iguazu I couldn’t believe the number of people who would get directly in front of my set up tripod while I was shooting, and camped there with their &@$/ selfie sticks, primping and shooting photos. I was so glad I was on my own and could take as long as I needed without fear of holding up a group.

On 10/19/2019 at 5:36 AM, cruisemom42 said:

And had it all gone wrong, the media would be reporting how she "fell" overboard and the dangers of cruising...

You got that right!

9 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

We call them narcissticks. 😉

2 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

On the Caribbean Princess near the cameras

IMG_0995-001_zpsfea6149b.jpg

Is that area off limits to pax?

On 10/21/2019 at 9:47 PM, Aquahound said:

We call them narcissticks. 😉

I like that saying.

Shame the way society is going. Oh well

Yes, she did a stupid thing and yes, Royal Caribbean responded appropriately. I am not going to get all holier than thou over it, though. The stupidest thing she did was get caught. I have done stupid things, too. I did not get caught and there was no damage done.

I would bet that most everyone on this thread has done something stupid. Maybe some drunk driving? Smoking?

Good for RCI!

We are presently at Disney World and if there is any place where selfie taking stupidity in all its glory is on display with neon lights and bells on, it is here. I am just glad they banned selfie sticks completely. People were taking them on rides. Those things can make for some rather nasty projectiles when they go flying on roller coasters etc. Dumb dumb dumb!

Edited by fatcat04

3 hours ago, whogo said:

Yes, she did a stupid thing and yes, Royal Caribbean responded appropriately. I am not going to get all holier than thou over it, though. The stupidest thing she did was get caught. I have done stupid things, too. I did not get caught and there was no damage done.

I would bet that most everyone on this thread has done something stupid. Maybe some drunk driving? Smoking?

but the difference is RCCL would have had a lower the life boats to get her out of the water.  Perhaps a crew member could have gotten hurt trying to save her.   What she did was DANGEROUS and stupid.  good for RCI.

Edit: Deleting because CC is attributing a quote to the wrong person.

Edited by *Miss G*

4 hours ago, whogo said:

The stupidest thing she did was get caught.

You don’t seriously believe that, do you?  That getting caught was stupider than climbing out to the exterior of a ship?