Cruise Critic Community
Noggins

Live from Crystal Symphony - New Orleans to Miami - 25th October

Let's get back to our task...

We set off early for the long tender ride into Gustavia. The water was surprisingly choppy and fine spray cooled us. The harbour forms a very distinct U shape and the town is built around it.

IMG_20191104_114852.thumb.jpg.2823dbd3fb2ae99656e5c1b17bcfba71.jpg

It quickly became obvious that if you were in the market for a new watch, a fearfully expensive handbag or a posh frock then this was the place for you.

We being British shunned the shops and sought out a hill to climb (why do we seem so hard wired to climb hills and generally explore? 😕🤔). Fortunately the one we found was not as taxing as yesterday's although the temperature felt even higher. The reward was some nice views which I am happy to share.

IMG_20191104_114300.thumb.jpg.3777aa68b7db855114544557e23c36a6.jpg

IMG_20191104_114608.thumb.jpg.1b7837700af37bb34f364d64045cf063.jpg

After the climb we were wilting sufficiently to have to feign interest in the supermarket and their nice a/c.

This afternoon we felt we had work to do. Afternoon tea had to be examined in light of the three tier reveal yesterday. It turns out that yesterday was the first day it had been rolled out on this ship - as a trial (allegedly). The cakes were not the finest work from the pastry team but thank goodness, otherwise we might have eaten the lot 😳.

IMG_20191104_160535.thumb.jpg.8a2c9809c2ea4684b0f70b7450d13fed.jpg

Finally, just to complete on the caviar front - here is the page from the cocktail list, as promised. (and before you ask, no that is not my hand in the photo)

IMG_20191104_163325.thumb.jpg.78bfc29c1c057807ce25d4a0d84f836d.jpg

A

Edited by Noggins
Spelling correction

51 minutes ago, Noggins said:

It quickly became obvious that if you were in the market for a new watch, a fearfully expensive handbag or a posh frock then this was the place for you.

51 minutes ago, Noggins said:

IMG_20191104_163325.thumb.jpg.78bfc29c1c057807ce25d4a0d84f836d.jpg

A

Had you looked in the proper direction (north west I believe) , you might have been able to see St. Maarten  Friends of ours have a wonderful estate on the island, I blame him for the expensive watches in my collection.  His collection makes mine seen inconsequential, he wears 'time pieces' as opposed to watches (much more expensive)

Thank you for the follow up on the caviar menu.

11 hours ago, Noggins said:

Noggins, are you saying brew dog beers are stocked?  My cup would runeth  over. 

4 hours ago, beardedshark said:

Noggins, are you saying brew dog beers are stocked?  My cup would runeth  over. 

Ah, I see why you might think that. No, not yet...

But I did tour the brewery recently... I've not tried Tokyo.....😳. Sorry folks the picture is not from Symphony...

IMG_20191005_160507.jpg

Adrian, I noticed right away how beautifully you mastered text/photo/text/photo. Bravo to you!

For my appetizer tonight I tried the lentil “meatballs” with two colors of beets. Nice! And Mr B has been so pleased to see the menus reflecting where we are in the world. For dinner, he had all French dishes, all nicely done.

Edited by May B

I'm not sure how much more of this I can take....

After tea we rushed around like mad things to get ready / do justice to canapes / have a bit of exercise / do what you have to do with additional wine delivered by our wonderful butler / get to our pre dinner rendezvous on time. Which we never seem to manage....

Another pattern is emerging. 6 of us in Palm Court - a confusing conversation about a Brazilian and a few giggles too. Then we split - we headed for the early show. Jamila did a fine set of classic songs and set us up for Umi Uma.

IMG_20191104_210200.thumb.jpg.af5ac2e2464ce98a0d9bbdb1cf0a2d07.jpgIMG_20191104_212359.thumb.jpg.ff28b5fae621b0f687e83dbe4a1f2c23.jpgIMG_20191104_212410.thumb.jpg.57c1db94a5fa63038a8764eaac65c588.jpgIMG_20191104_210200.thumb.jpg.af5ac2e2464ce98a0d9bbdb1cf0a2d07.jpg

No prizes for guessing what happened next...

I'm afraid we're getting a bit of a reputation in Avenue - especially as 6 of us regrouped for company or security - or both..🤔.

Anyway, great fun.

An hour back tonight and a sea day tomorrow.

👏👏👏👏

IMG_20191104_215345.jpg

Good morning from somewhere in the Caribbean Sea.

Cruise Director Shane has a lot to answer for... He is a hard task master as there is absolutely no let up in the schedule. And if he is going to so much trouble then we feel obliged to throw ourselves in to the task of enjoying as many of the offerings as we can - even if it does mean we'll need a holiday when we get home....

Hope you enjoy choosing what you'll do and what you'll eat today!

A

attachment1.en (33).pdf attachment1.en (34).pdf attachment1.en (35).pdf

21 minutes ago, Noggins said:

Cruise Director Shane has a lot to answer for... He is a hard task master as there is absolutely no let up in the schedule. And if he is going to so much trouble then we feel obliged to throw ourselves in to the task of enjoying as many of the offerings as we can - even if it does mean we'll need a holiday when we get home....

A

attachment1.en (33).pdf 2.73 MB · 3 downloads attachment1.en (34).pdf 51.54 kB · 5 downloads attachment1.en (35).pdf 61.24 kB · 4 downloads

I’d skip lunch today but dinner would be a must, as would be the Chablis!!!! 😀

Anne...

I'm two days away from flying to Miami and this review is about to send me over the edge. I'm going to have to change what clothes I bring because my plan is to throw caution to the wind and eat, eat, eat, eat!

6 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

my plan is to throw caution to the wind and eat, eat, eat, eat!

If only that's all you have to do!

It being a sea day and with so much on I think the reporting needs breaking up. Last time I did this Symphony had just had her major refresh meaning there was a lot of reporting to be done. Which leaves me all the more surprised that there is still a flow of things that seem worthy of comment. (I appreciate you may think otherwise but I get to decide what I write - you get to decide what you read 😀)

But firstly, we began with Terry and 'a reporter's notebook' - anecdotes from a long and fascinating career. And then another lecture on opthalmology that leaves you realising that there's a whole lot more to that subject than you ever knew - and a frightening number of things that can go wrong! But the closing and reassuring comment was a reminder that next year is 2020! 😎

Anne suggested she would skip lunch today. Well, I didn't feel I had that option - not when there's work to be done. Which brings me to the so called 'Impossible Burger'. All I will say is if I did a blind tasting I would never have guessed it wasn't meat. In fact I would likely have said it was the best ever burger. Which was slightly annoying as it meant I ate the whole thing and the plan was to have just a bite or two. I can confirm it is a plant based burger (not one the new stem cell grown ). It has around 200 calories, apparently, and has the texture of a very tender burger - not sloppy or rubbery at all. Doubtless there'll be a range of views but give it a try when next you can. And the pictures are genuine!

Weather is really hot and the lack of breeze suggests we have a following wind roughly the same speed as the ship. Jonathan is busy passing around ice cold towels. Very welcome...

IMG_20191105_171315.thumb.jpg.d4f0c7d86be53f8d10aab4aa1e8acd55.jpg

And the inside looks like this...

IMG_20191105_171551.thumb.jpg.31bf186e929cd5f0cb616549a8ff4a11.jpg

Edited by Noggins
Additional text

Thank you so much for this wonderful post! It makes me feel like I am aalready on board and getting more hungry by the minute! 😍

I have one question, since I will be on board in December...what is the complimentary Champagne Offering as of right now? Are the wines drinkable? 

Thank you so much!!!

I'm afraid I would have to eat well at lunch and at dinner with those menus! Adrian, once again thank you for posting - I'm thoroughly enjoying reading about your days and evenings! 

On 10/20/2019 at 9:31 AM, Noggins said:

As a consequence of a house move we acquired the elderly spaniel that had lived all his life in our new home. He couldn't follow his owners to the Middle East so we adopted him.

Enjoying your report.  And you're very fine people to have adopted this dog!

Impossible burgers are a definite improvement over the garden burger they had last summer which had dairy in the burger.  I'll for sure have one later this month!

8 hours ago, Noggins said:

A

The entire evenings menu looks perfect.  

attachment1.en (33).pdf 2.73 MB · 50 downloads attachment1.en (34).pdf 51.54 kB · 43 downloads attachment1.en (35).pdf 61.24 kB · 54 downloads

Anyone know if they have those burgers on Serenity?

DH  would certainly  eat them 😉

39 minutes ago, rxlowry said:

Impossible burgers are a definite improvement over the garden burger they had last summer which had dairy in the burger.  I'll for sure have one later this month!

I am hoping Crystal still offers the Garden Burger at Trident...we like it!

2 hours ago, Prada Cowboy said:

Thank you so much for this wonderful post! It makes me feel like I am aalready on board and getting more hungry by the minute! 😍

I have one question, since I will be on board in December...what is the complimentary Champagne Offering as of right now? Are the wines drinkable? 

Thank you so much!!!

The champagne on Crystal is Jacquart. Jacquart Brut is served at tea, and it’s very good. 

Edited by Mackenzie1

2 hours ago, Prada Cowboy said:

what is the complimentary Champagne Offering as of right now? Are the wines drinkable? 

Here is the current included wine list. (not great photos...)

Are they drinkable? That is a matter of taste but I've not seen anyone looking unhappy - and everything we have had has been very satisfactory. Possibly too satisfactory...🥂🍷

IMG_20191105_213609.thumb.jpg.c4f84341cbe794e19b5a338be590e2d4.jpg

IMG_20191105_213617.thumb.jpg.10357ae7693dedb3d6c4e7767e6eed7a.jpg

We are just back from the magic show. The same format continues to apply and this guy was even better than we've seen before. In fact, I think it may have been, well, magic....

IMG_20191105_204738.thumb.jpg.7aae93baddb576805a193f2839ecdc67.jpg

If I remember, I'd like to sign up for the magic show. Where do I go to do this? Thanks. 🙂

36 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

If I remember, I'd like to sign up for the magic show. Where do I go to do this? Thanks. 🙂

I believe the library...we usually go on embarkation day to get tickets 

see you soon

😉

The trouble with the gift of an hour one night is that it is payback time the following evening.. And we are paying the price and have had to throw the towel in after the briefest of Avenue visits. It's not quite midnight but our bodies say 1am...

Prior to that, with black tie optional night, we had the quietest of pre dinner drinks in Palm. No entertainment - but actually it gave us unimpeded conversation time. We decided to go to the early Icons headline show. A very different show - non stop, energy filled, musically excellent, Broadway quality show. Yes, we quite liked it 😀.

From there to Waterside but not before we asked one of the photographer's to try to get a shot of the 4 of us that wasn't ruined by at least one of us. It took a while but with a slightly forced smile he seemed to suggest he might just have caught us the once looking half presentable. (Thanks, Muriel, for offering to have a try too!)

Waterside delivered - the Chablis was very pleasant and we all came away sated.

Then another show in Starlite - how do they keep this up..!?This time Colin and Steph joined us. What a great unassuming, delightful, gracious, fun couple. Just the sort of people you hope you might meet on a cruise 😘.

We could then feel we were flagging.

And before we knew it we were finished.

zzzzzz

Food...

IMG_20191106_015931.thumb.jpg.d0265b0779426dde3b7408a7d7361a27.jpg

IMG_20191106_021236.thumb.jpg.66757662d9711f2f8c3cd37b3af51d4b.jpg

imageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cbIMG_20191106_024347.thumb.jpg.7111c840285f3a2409d37f3f9f10c020.jpg

And a sneaky entertainment shot...

IMG_20191106_011507.thumb.jpg.95a014bdd19fce413e97a2a4d7740054.jpg

IMG_20191106_024237.jpg

Edited by Noggins
Remove duplicate content

3 hours ago, riandei said:

I believe the library...we usually go on embarkation day to get tickets 

see you soon

😉

You are correct on both items.  It is most definitely the library and a good idea to go the day you board as the shows are popular so going early should give you a good selection of dates/time to select from.

Keith

Sometimes I wonder whether you're managing to keep up? And if you are then imagine what it's like living this hectic experience.

A few hours sleep and here we are in Grand Turk - our final stop and another 'new to us' spot. 

Off on a ship's excursion this morning.

To save you the trouble looking for yourselves, here's the port camera view! (fortunately we're on the starboard side!)

IMG_20191106_082206.thumb.jpg.cc0c26ac779a9b73f52a7b4430ab33a6.jpg

And here are the usual menus plus today's Reflections. Any thoughts on the comedian, anyone??

attachment1.en (36).pdf attachment1.en (37).pdf attachment1.en (38).pdf