Live from Crystal Symphony - New Orleans to Miami - 25th October

Noggins

1 hour ago, nancygp said:

Oh yes...Dover to NYC...I have no idea if you remembered meeting me as we were rocking and rolling for days.  I recall meeting you in the avenue when my late friend Danny introduced us...at least that's what I recall.  My husband and I are pretty good sailors but that cruise was a bit challenging.  We had a similar experience on the Symphony on a similar route in 2007...gluttons for punishment. 

most likely, you'll have better weather on your upcoming cruise.

theres some great folks on your cruise including MayB and Out2See/jim brochu!!!!!  Jim was on the 2012 crossing as well as the 2007 I mentioned.

safe travels to New Orleans.

Nancy

ps.the photo in my avatar is my sweet rescue dog Malone who passed away last year...such a wonderful boy!!!

Ah yes, the Trans-Atlantic From Hell!! I like your description of it being "challenging"! Our single biggest memory of that cruise is solid water off the balcony door twice, and we were on Deck 10!!! And Jim was on the 2007 one too? That means if they get rough seas this time, we know who to blame!! Of course that maybe doesn't bode well for us on the first segment of the World Cruise!!😁

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

Ah yes, the Trans-Atlantic From Hell!! I like your description of it being "challenging"! Our single biggest memory of that cruise is solid water off the balcony door twice, and we were on Deck 10!!! And Jim was on the 2007 one too? That means if they get rough seas this time, we know who to blame!! Of course that maybe doesn't bode well for us on the first segment of the World Cruise!!😁

Yes, the trans-Atlantic cruise from Hell...the weather was equally as bad, perhaps worse on the September 2007 crossing!!!   It was our first time sailing with Jim, Steve, Ken Rees and several other wonderful lecturers/entertainers.  We had initially met jim (steve too)several months prior on land when he was performing Zero Hour in my city.  Despite the weather, it was our best crystal cruise as the company and friendships formed really made the cruise.  Actually, we've always had great times on each and every crystal cruise.

hopefully, the Miami to LA WC Segment will have much calmer seas.

Nancy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nancygp said:

Yes, the trans-Atlantic cruise from Hell...the weather was equally as bad, perhaps worse on the September 2007 crossing!!!   It was our first time sailing with Jim, Steve, Ken Rees and several other wonderful lecturers/entertainers.  We had initially met jim (steve too)several months prior on land when he was performing Zero Hour in my city.  Despite the weather, it was our best crystal cruise as the company and friendships formed really made the cruise.  Actually, we've always had great times on each and every crystal cruise.

hopefully, the Miami to LA WC Segment will have much calmer seas.

Nancy

Hi Nancy.

If it doesn't, we will blame Jim!! After multiple segments over multiple years, we are finally doing the full WC and really looking forward to it. Actually 11 weeks today, we will be onboard Serenity, not that we are counting or anything!😁

Larry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PaulaS8071 said:

Sorry I didn't see about the M&M until it was too late to sign up

If you go to the front desk and ask when the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle will be held they should be able to tell you and you can join in

Welcome to Crystal - be prepared to relax and be Crystalized!

11 hours ago, Noggins said:

No, I don't believe so, May B (why do I feel so much like saying may be but may be not...!) - but perhaps one day! But on your point regarding life in general then, yes, definitely!

And thanks for the walking tip - we were not at all sure where the dock area was. Might have to moderate the champers at lunchtime.... And skip the snooze I was pondering. But, hey, who needs sleep when you're on holiday!

(In another first I have discovered how easy it is to insert a partial quote!)

I’m too impatient to learn partial quotes! 

Perhaps Shirin disembarked when you embarked. I feel like it was around the same time. It was fairly soon after a dry dock. 

Actually, once, Crystal was scheduled to be docked someplace really weird in New Orleans, but I think our docs say Julia St., which is SO easy. We’re staying at a Hyatt Place right near there, and I used my map app to find out that it’s a one mile walk to Galatoire’s which is on Bourbon St., a block short of where we hope to have bkfst., if the weather cooperates. Acme Oyster isn’t much closer. Hmmm. I wonder if people will still line up, if it’s raining! My guess is yes. Is your rain gear packed? And Friday is likely to be our coolest weather, all cruise.

WWII Museum is not far from cruise ship doc, also.

😁

5 hours ago, ClefsDor said:

I wish I were able to confirm May B's comment that we have sailed together before but unfortunately not, but hopefully one day! 

Shirin, perhaps you disembarked when Adrian embarked. I feel like I read both of your “live reports” around the same time.

13 hours ago, Noggins said:

I know this is not at all interesting but it gives me something to practice posting photos with....

H'mm. Partial success, I think.

(In our short Crystal career of 7 years this is the third style folder we've had - and arguably the most classy. We had a clear out recently of the many different ones we had amassed. We just couldn't come up with a re-use plan.)

IMG_20191021_145107.jpg

IMG_20191021_145049.jpg

I agree the folder is quite nice, and does give one a sense of being special when it is received in a Fed Ex package. It was very much appreciated and definitely adds panache to the Crystal experience!  However, I have to limit my weight when it's time to fly (and trek through airports).  The pages of T's and C's (for both passengers), the pen, the little booklet of rules, the beautiful case and all that have to stay home on embarkation day.  And, Noggins, I totally understand your "clear out" of the classy folders.  A bit like clearing out all those very nice business class bags of socks and toothbrushes.

5 hours ago, May B said:

I think our docs say Julia St., which is SO easy

I hadn't got as far as discovering where the docking is scheduled to be but looking at the map now Julia Street Cruise Terminal is walk-able from our hotel (St Marie) in Toulouse St - if only it weren't for the darned cases!

But I think the case for going ashore in the afternoon just got stronger. World War II museum, you say.......

Thank-you again May B.

Adrian

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruise-y said:

A bit like clearing out all those very nice business class bags of socks and toothbrushes.

My wife would NEVER throw out socks or toothbrushes! (but we no longer have the plastic cutlery from the Dan Air charter flights of the 1970's......)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Noggins said:

My wife would NEVER throw out socks or toothbrushes! (but we no longer have the plastic cutlery from the Dan Air charter flights of the 1970's......)

Dan Dair - good heavens, that's a blast from the past!!!!   Don't think I ever flew with them, but then again I may have done - my earliest flight memory is with the holiday charter company based at Luton Airport that had a fleet of pastel coloured livery planes - Court Line???   There were no socks or toothbrushes and I doubt cutlery either....😃🙂

Anne...

2 hours ago, Noggins said:

I hadn't got as far as discovering where the docking is scheduled to be but looking at the map now Julia Street Cruise Terminal is walk-able from our hotel (St Marie) in Toulouse St - if only it weren't for the darned cases!

But I think the case for going ashore in the afternoon just got stronger. World War II museum, you say.......

Thank-you again May B.

Adrian

Ahh the hotel st marie....find memories there with great friends celebrating 50th birthday of a wonderful friend.

a great bartender at the little house bar.

16 hours ago, nancygp said:

Oh yes...Dover to NYC...I have no idea if you remembered meeting me as we were rocking and rolling for days.  I recall meeting you in the avenue when my late friend Danny introduced us...at least that's what I recall.  My husband and I are pretty good sailors but that cruise was a bit challenging.  We had a similar experience on the Symphony on a similar route in 2007...gluttons for punishment. 

most likely, you'll have better weather on your upcoming cruise.

theres some great folks on your cruise including MayB and Out2See/jim brochu!!!!!  Jim was on the 2012 crossing as well as the 2007 I mentioned.

safe travels to New Orleans.

Nancy

ps.the photo in my avatar is my sweet rescue dog Malone who passed away last year...such a wonderful boy!!!

Darling Nancy,

You are like my advance team. The only thing things that will be missing from this trip are you and Larry. Steve and I are looking forward to seeing so many old friends and of course, I always refer to Crystal as a friend factory, with many new ones just waiting to be made. There's a pic of me for my avatar (which I should change because I'm 80 pounds lighter and have no bushy beard.) I'm going to present some new programs on this trip which I understand is going to be a full compliment. Ah yes, the famous crossing of 2012 when we hit three storms all at the same time. It looked like a twenty-four-hour-a-day dance class with all of us spinning and lurching around the decks. So, three days to go and the excitement builds. Safe travels to all heading for the big easy and see you there on Friday. Good times ahead!
Jim, who likes a little motion but not five days in a row.

• Like 2

Jim, we enjoyed every one of your performances on that 2012 crossing - and not just because the seas were so rough it was impossible to consider being anywhere else!

We will be sure to catch all that you have to offer on this next trip. We are serial lecture / enrichment attendees!

Safe travels to you too.

Adrian

As another person who was on that 2012 transatlantic = interesting how many of us were on that and still on this board etc.  Yup Jim was great and Crystal was Crystal but the rest of the trip - not so much - missed ports, really bad weather, delays in NYC getting off.     Remember we couldn't get out of dock in Reykjavik due to winds pushing us against the dock and then waiting 5 hours for tugs to get our out of port - so then we missed Halifax because we "couldn't make it on time "  - but we passed the port there several hours before we were due to dock.

A trip to remember but we'd probably like to forget.

2 hours ago, ctjon said:

As another person who was on that 2012 transatlantic = interesting how many of us were on that and still on this board etc.  Yup Jim was great and Crystal was Crystal but the rest of the trip - not so much - missed ports, really bad weather, delays in NYC getting off.     Remember we couldn't get out of dock in Reykjavik due to winds pushing us against the dock and then waiting 5 hours for tugs to get our out of port - so then we missed Halifax because we "couldn't make it on time "  - but we passed the port there several hours before we were due to dock.

A trip to remember but we'd probably like to forget.

I remember our many chats on that cruise as well as all the details you posted.

for us, it still was a great cruise and we focus on the good memories!!!  When you cruise the North Atlantic during hurricane season, you never know what can happen!! :classic_dry::classic_biggrin:

Nancy

I know what many of you are thinking - this is called 'Live' and we are on page two and we haven't moved a yard yet! Well, only a few hours before it all kicks off. And before you know it you'll all be wishing it would just STOP.

Before we get into the real stuff I wonder whether someone out there could help on a point of etiquette...? I have tried Debrett's but no luck....

The issue we have concerns travelling with our Canadian friends - with whom we have cruised maybe 3/4 times. So we know them well but not THAT well. They have always been amazingly generous with the palatial accommodations they invariably have on the Premium lines we have travelled together on - their suites and outdoor spaces have been magnificent. This time the tables are turned a little and we will have a few more square feet than them - so we want to share that with them. Now here's the issue... A small part of our square footage will be occupied with a washer / dryer (a unique experience, possibly never to be repeated, who knows) and it seems only right to acknowledge that we all have a small amount of washing each day (even Canadians? 😉). Should we offer them access to our washer?? And, if we do, it is likely that the cycle will conclude after they have left our room. In that event do we:

a) ask the butler to return their washing to them

b) pass it to them whilst sitting on the bar stalls in the Cove

c) discreetly pass it under the table whilst at dinner?

I know, first world problems... 😃

'Proper' Live reporting starts tomorrow. Yay!

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Noggins said:

I know what many of you are thinking - this is called 'Live' and we are on page two and we haven't moved a yard yet! Well, only a few hours before it all kicks off. And before you know it you'll all be wishing it would just STOP.

Before we get into the real stuff I wonder whether someone out there could help on a point of etiquette...? I have tried Debrett's but no luck....

The issue we have concerns travelling with our Canadian friends - with whom we have cruised maybe 3/4 times. So we know them well but not THAT well. They have always been amazingly generous with the palatial accommodations they invariably have on the Premium lines we have travelled together on - their suites and outdoor spaces have been magnificent. This time the tables are turned a little and we will have a few more square feet than them - so we want to share that with them. Now here's the issue... A small part of our square footage will be occupied with a washer / dryer (a unique experience, possibly never to be repeated, who knows) and it seems only right to acknowledge that we all have a small amount of washing each day (even Canadians? 😉). Should we offer them access to our washer?? And, if we do, it is likely that the cycle will conclude after they have left our room. In that event do we:

I can’t wait to read the responses to this one!!!! 😀😀

Safe travels, look forward to all the proper ‘live’ posts once you are ‘on the road’...

Anne...

Edited by Jayayeff
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Noggins said:

It’s very sweet of you to think of your friends, but since there are community washers and dryers on board (which is so nice!) it’s probably unlikely that they would want or need to use yours.  But that’s just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cruise-y said:

It’s very sweet of you to think of your friends, but since there are community washers and dryers on board (which is so nice!) it’s probably unlikely that they would want or need to use yours.  But that’s just my 2 cents.

And there's no cost to use those community washers/dryers, so it seems they can do their laundry at their own convenience. 😎

Patty

Very nice that you would offer them the machine but my recommendation is to have them make use of the wonderful self service machines in the laundry room.

Yes, you have a washer/dryer combo and you don't have to be in the room while it is running. 

With that said like other washer/dryer combos we have used such as when my late sister-in-law lived in Scotland and my daughter has in Australia, the dryer will take two to there time longer to dry clothes.  Also the machine is small.  We love it for convenience but not something we would love at home with significantly more wash such as towels and bed linens.

Keith

I agree that with the long cycle times it's probably not something that would be a big advantage to them. In the time it would take to do one load in your room they could probably do two in the communal laundry. If you really feel like you would like to make them the  offer then I would make sure to point out the lengthy cycle time, knowing that I think they will likely decline the offer whilst being very appreciate of your thoughtfulness.