Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
Miaminice

Celebrity Edge - Four Dining Rooms Introduction

That's an excellent overview Miaminice of the 4 main dining rooms.

We didn't have dinner in Cosmopolitan any night since we were there for breakfast most days

and the décor reminded us of the MDR's of the other ships. Enjoyed Tuscan and Cyprus the best.

I agree, we didn't miss BLU at all when we were on the EDGE last December due to this new setup.

On 10/21/2019 at 3:41 AM, prish said:

Miaminice, thank you for explaining about the four different MDRs and their menus, you’ve set it all out so succinctly.

We’re doing a 10 night Apex sailing next May and have the early seating traditional dining and would like some suggestions on how to go about the different venues. We’re a family group of six and like to have dinner together, it’s when we talk about our day and experiences. Three of us are vegetarians too! I haven’t checked which restaurant we’ve been assigned to, but where would we find the best vegetarian options? 

Should we go see the Maitre D immediately after boarding to get tables at the other restaurants? Or take care of this much earlier? Seating six might be harder than two, isn’t it? We’ll also certainly do a couple of specialty restaurants too.

I look forward to your ideas, thanks 😊

p - your eating preferences will be handled very well... especially if you only do not eat any meat with dairy being the only exception...

You will or can request the next nights menu to order from.. which means you can take something from the menu, in many instances, and make changes for your preferences...

X has gotten very good about this over the last few years... so not to worry.

bon appetite and bon voyage

Thanks Bo, this is what we’ve done over the years and it has worked perfectly, the wait staff has always worked to accommodate our dietary requirements. 

However, we’d like to switch around the four MDRs on the Apex and I was wondering how this would work with our early seating dinner. But we’ll figure it out, probably only once on the ship...

4 hours ago, prish said:

Mark_T, we’re not fussy vegetarians and are okay with cheese and eggs, just no meat, poultry or seafood. On the other ships there’s also an Indian menu every evening, guess they’ll have it on the Apex too...

It isn't about being 'fussy' it is about being vegetarian or not 🙂

If you just don't want to eat meat/fish then that makes it very easy.

If you actually want to be vegetarian, then avoiding animal products in cheese (rennet) or animal derived gelatine, especially in deserts, takes a bit more effort, and of course Vegan is another step on again with the need to avoid eggs and dairy as well.

You shouldn't have any problems with your dietary choices I'd have thought.

Mark_T, I should have said we aren’t very strict vegetarians. Yes, don’t believe it’s going to be much of a problem.

3 hours ago, prish said:

Mark_T, I should have said we aren’t very strict vegetarians. Yes, don’t believe it’s going to be much of a problem.

That's OK, its a free world (mostly 🙂 ) eat what you enjoy and be happy.

11 hours ago, prish said:

Thanks Bo, this is what we’ve done over the years and it has worked perfectly, the wait staff has always worked to accommodate our dietary requirements. 

However, we’d like to switch around the four MDRs on the Apex and I was wondering how this would work with our early seating dinner. But we’ll figure it out, probably only once on the ship...

p - It will or so I believe, be the same procedure.

If you know which dining room you will be eating in the following evening, your waiter will bring you the menu or you can visit the Maitre d' for the restaurant next, for it and select...

bon appetite and bon voyage

On 10/20/2019 at 1:14 PM, vtcruising said:

Thanks for the great pictures and the notice of getting exclusive dishes from other restaurants - others have reported being refused - hope it is a consistent thing!  Normandie is so beautiful - that is the one I would choose, if had to do traditional dining. We are booked there a couple of times on the Apex, with one night when we are in Le Havre. 🙂

Here are the dessert menus (the exclusive desserts are at the top and stay the same each night):

Cosmo Desserts.pdf 111.25 kB · 90 downloads Tuscan Dessert.pdf 104.13 kB · 47 downloads Normandie Dessert.pdf 126.2 kB · 54 downloads Cyprus Dessert.pdf 2.18 MB · 48 downloads

i noticed when i opened the Normandie one that it is numbered Dessert 1, Dessert 2, etc. Do these correspond with what night they serve this dessert menu? Wondering b/c there is some desserts that sound really good and would book us in that night of the cruise, if that is the case

2 hours ago, LSKC said:

i noticed when i opened the Normandie one that it is numbered Dessert 1, Dessert 2, etc. Do these correspond with what night they serve this dessert menu? Wondering b/c there is some desserts that sound really good and would book us in that night of the cruise, if that is the case

They match with menu 1,2 ,3..., but they put them in the order they want - if you are on a 7 day cruise, you will likely get the first 7 days, but they will switch around depending on Chic nights. The first Chic night usually has menu 2 and the second one menu 6.

Great overview for those of us who will be sailing on the Edge for the first time! Thank you!

And for those of us who were in BLU first time around, nd will be tryng the 4 mdr plan

.So excited about  next week...Glad we have a longer time on board,  A week was not enough!

While I haven't sailed Edge, I do think this is one of the things they got right. Although the menus are relatively the same (minus the individual specialties) at least it's a change of decor and scenery. On all other X ships for complimentary dining you only have the MDR, buffet, or room service. One thing NCL does better is they at least have one or two other complimentary restaurants if you don't want the MDR or buffet.

Someone posted that if you choose Traditional Dining - which we prefer - you will be assigned the Cosmopolitan MDR - others said you will be assigned ONE of the four.  Since we booked almost a year and a half out - could our TA request which dining room we would like for Traditional or is it automatically Cosmopolitan - which is what we would prefer?  Thanks for any information - appreciate it.

5 minutes ago, Treacher1 said:

Someone posted that if you choose Traditional Dining - which we prefer - you will be assigned the Cosmopolitan MDR - others said you will be assigned ONE of the four.  Since we booked almost a year and a half out - could our TA request which dining room we would like for Traditional or is it automatically Cosmopolitan - which is what we would prefer?  Thanks for any information - appreciate it.

I emailed Celebrity Dining ( @vtcruising posted the email - I cannot remember it) and requested Tuscan if my Select waitlist did not come through and received an email back that had a series of emails with one confirming from the Tuscan manager. And I used a TA but apparently you can email on your own.

31 minutes ago, Treacher1 said:

From the Edge Dining FAQs:

14. What if I am Traditional, but want to choose my specific dining room pre-cruise?

Guests will be requested to send an e-mail to CelebrityDining@celebrity.com and we will forward on to the ship, doing our best to accommodate their requests, based on availability.

I have not heard of that all Traditional diners are assigned to Cosmo. I don't think that would work well, as there are only about 350 seats in each MDR and I'm sure most of the Select diners want to try all restaurants. I have heard about one person being assigned Cyprus and one Normandie, so think they must spread people around.

I located my  dining notes from EDGE on Nov 15th.  

I  jotted  what we enjoyed in each  MDR..and took a few photos

Hope that will be a helpful addition to this thread!  Will post tom.

Just realized there is another excellent thread about how the 4 MDRs work on EDGE..also with menus and photos.  I am tech challenged but will try to post the link here for anyone who wants to review even more information

Edited by hcat

Decided to start  a new thread focused on our specific dining experiences on Edge.

The two existing ones are lengthy and have  much valuable gen info. No need to duplicate the basics.  Will post a link to my dining review here