Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Alphen

Westerdam TV after 2017 refit

Westerdam TV after 2017 refit

Just curious, for our upcoming first ever cruise on Westerdam, I know there are new TV’s in Westerdams regular cabins (not Neptune suites) which appear to be big flat screens against the wall, but do they still have the old-fashioned channels, or are they interactive with on demand video like on Koningsdam and do they also include selectable information like menu’s?

Appreciate information not that we often watch tv in the cabin, but just like to know if new "high tech" is added.

We were on the Westerdam in 2018 in an aft balcony.  There was the big flat screen tv on the wall across from the bed.  The movies were on demand, and there was a menu for various information.

More electric outlets were added, plus there were several USB outlets on the desk and nightstands.

The cabin was more high tech than before the last dry dock.

fore and aft cameras are nice....i thought the movie selection was especially poor compared to what i had recently on the royal princess...never could figure out how to get ship announcements to play over the tv rather than having to open the room door to hear...anybody figure that out?

i thought so and tried forward camera channel for announcements but didn't work on my tv/cruise for all announcements....a few yes, but not main captain announcements...maybe a glitch with my tv or the system....

We did a trans-atlantic on the Westerdam in Oct. 2017.   All cabins have the large (48"??) flat screens mounted on the wall.  The old DVD players and DVD lending library are gone.   The channel selections include a lot of recorded entertainment, like TV series, HGC series, travel shows, etc.  There are some live channels like BBC World Service, CNBC, MSNBC, Fox News, and 2 ESPN sports channels.  There is a special events channel for popular sport events.  There is a movie channel with many hundreds of selections.   They are broken down by genre and are all on-demand.  If you start a movie before dinner and stop it to go to dinner, when you come back, you can resume that movie right where you left off.   They have a ship's position and weather channel showing forecasts for future ports.  There are also 2 cameras, forward and aft.   One of these has the routine daily announcements on it.

Because they removed the TV and DVD players from the desk area, that freed up 2 additional 120 volt electrical outlets.

Great, thanks for all the info, not at all movie watchers, but a short comedy or docu just before sleeping is nice, as well as hopefully menu of the day in the MDR, always nice to have a preview and study before going to the MDR.

We have found that with the larger TV’s on the wall, we are also more aware of a louder volume between cabins. We are more aware of the TV noise now then before.

Have others experienced this as well?

To minimize the border around the flat screen TV's, the manufacturers put the speakers on the rear, and they are intended to bounce off the wall that the TV is mounted on, and the sound reached you.  This reflection off of the shadow box that the TV's are mounted in would cause more sound (mostly low frequency sounds) to be heard from the next door cabin.